Raipur is a bustling industrial city in the state of Chhattisgarh which is known for its ancient temples, soothing lakes, and widespread wildlife. During its peak tourist season in winter, Raipur, owning to its comfortable temperature from October to March becomes apt for sightseeing. If you are looking for the best places to sightsee in Raipur here is a list of the best tourist places near Raipur.
Best Tourist Places near Raipur
Tourist Places Near Raipur Within 50 km
Banjari Mandir is a temple devoted to Goddess Banjari, a colorful piece of religious architecture situated right in the center of the city. It is famous for its magnificent Dussehra and Navratri celebrations and sees a huge outpour of devotees and visitors during these festivals. This temple is open for its visitors from 6:00 am to 7:30 in the evening.
- How to reach Banjari Mandir? Banjari Mandir is only 1.5 km from Raipur’s city center. You can easily take public transport to reach it.
- What is Banjari Mandir famous for?: Banjari Mandir is famously known for its Dusshera and Navarti celebrations.
- Places nearby Banjari Mandir to visit: Places near Banjari Mandir include the City center mall and Ambuja City Centre.
- Best time to visit Banjari Mandir: The best time to visit Banjari Mandir has to be October when you can get the chance to witness the festive celebration of Dushera and Navrati.
Kankali Talab was once the seat of the great sages of Goswami Naga belonging to the Dashnami Sanyasi sect. Even today, you can still feel their meditative presence near the pond making the visit to Kankali Talab a spirit-refining experience. There is a small temple dedicated to Lord Shiva right in the center of the pond to redefine the importance of this Talab.
- How to reach Kankali Talab?: Kankali Talab is only 1.8 km from Raipur’s city center. You can easily take public transport to get here.
- What is Kankali Talab famous for?: It is a famous spot for meditation in Raipur where Goswami Naga sages and other famous sages spend time meditating.
- Places nearby Kankali Talab to visit: Places near Kankali Talab include Marine Drive (Telibandha Lake), Kankali Mata Mandir, and Swami Vivekanda Sarovar.
- Best time to visit Kankali Talab: The best time to visit Kankali Talab and appreciate the beauty of the lake has to be right before sunset.
Gandhi Udyan Park
Gandhi Udyan Park is one of the oldest and most well-known parks in Raipur. It is a well-maintained park and has a large widespread walking area of 400 meters. For this reason, locals come for their daily dose of exercise and for leisure walks.
As a tourist place, Gandhi Udhyan Park is a pleasure to the eyes, the neatly trimmed shrubs, beautifully displayed flower garden, and green landscape are a good change of space for tourists. The park is open from 5 am to 7 pm.
- How to reach Gandhi Udyan Park?: It is only 2 km away from the city center in Raipur and is located on Nayapara Road. Public transport is easily available to reach here.
- What is Gandhi Udyan Park famous for?: Gandhi Udyan Park is famous for holding an extensive display of flowers during the advent of spring
- Places nearby Gandhi Udyan Park to visit: Best tourist place near Gandhi Udyan Park to visit is Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum.
- Best time to visit Gandhi Udyan Park: Best time to visit Gandhi Udyan Park has to be sunrise and sunset
Town hall is one of the tourist places in Raipur which also functions as a government building. It acts as a time capsule capturing the history of dynasties and Kings who once ruled Raipur, built in 1889 and inaugurated in 1890, it also shares a part with the freedom struggle. Visit this standstill piece of history in Raipur.
- How to reach Town hall?: The Town Hall is only 2.1 km from the city center and can be accessed very easily by public transport.
- What is Town hall famous for?: Town hall is famous for its history and as a part of the freedom struggle
- Places nearby Town hall to visit: Places near Town hall include Urja Park and The City Center mall.
- Best time to visit Town hall: Raipur has been seen to have very pleasant winters from October to March. While townhall can be visited anytime, it is during winters when Raipur sees a huge inflow of tourists.
Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum
While town hall gives us an insight into the collective past of the Nation, Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum gives us an insight into the collective past of Raipur. It has an impressive collection of tribal artifacts, inscriptions, coins, carvings, models, and other things related to the anthropology and natural history of Raipur.
There is even an open-air restaurant on the ground floor of the museum where you can try Raipur’s tribal food.
- How to reach Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum?: Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum is only 2.3 km from the city center and can be accessed very easily by public transport.
- What is Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum famous for?: It is famous for its collection of anthropological & natural history artifacts and other art pieces such as pottery & sculptures.
- Places nearby Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum to visit: Places near the museum include Gandhi Udyan Park and Marine Drive (Telibandha Lake).
- Best time to visit Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum: While Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum can be visited any time of the year, this Museum has a fixed time from 10 am to 5 pm except on Monday, when it remains closed.
Swami Vivekanda Sarovar
Swami Vivekanda Sarovar is a popular landmark for the people of Raipur. This park is filled with people at any time of the day, in the morning people are seen exercising in the park and by evening the park becomes a place for relaxation.
Sunsets at this park are exceptionally beautiful. Tourists visiting Raipur should pay a visit to Swami Vivekanada Sarovar.
- How to reach Swami Vivekanda Sarovar?: Swami Vivekanda Sarovar is only 2.3 km from the city center and can be accessed very easily by public transport.
- What is Swami Vivekanda Sarovar famous for?: It is famous for its 37 feet bronze statue of Swami Vivekananda which holds the record in the Limca Book of Records as the largest statue of Vivekanand in the world.
- Places nearby Swami Vivekanda Sarovar to visit: Places near the Sarovar includes Nagar Ghadi and Mahamaya Temple.
- Best time to visit Swami Vivekanda Sarovar: The best time to visit Swami Vivekanda Sarovar has to be sunset. It is when the golden light of the sunset reflects on the bronze statue and illuminates the lake below in a beautiful crimson color.
Marine Drive is a popular tourist destination in Raipur opposite to the beautiful Telibandha Lake. This long stretch of land is meticulously planned by the government to attract tourism to Raipur. It acts as a walk-in art gallery featuring graffiti from local artists. Visit this open-air art exhibition in Raipur. It has free-wifi, food stalls hygienic convenience room installed all the way to the end of the stretch.
- How to reach Marine Drive?: It is located on Great Eastern Rd which is only 6.5 km from the city center. It can be accessed very easily by public transport or you can choose to drive there.
- What is Marine Drive famous for?: Marine Drive is famous for its well-planned tourist attractions which are initiated by the government to promote tourism in Raipur
- Places nearby Marine Drive to visit: Places near Marine Drive include Swami Vivekanda Sarovar and Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum.
- Best time to visit Marine Drive: Best time to visit Marine Drive in Summers is during golden hours, winters are the most ideal, and the rainy season is the least favorable.
Energy park or Urja Park’s specialty is that all the rides that operate in the park run entirely on solar power. This makes a visit to Energy park a part of eco-tourism. The objective of the park aims to create awareness about renewable energy while leaving a zero-carbon footprint. It is a popular tourist place in Raipur within 50 km of the city center.
- How to reach Energy park?: Energy Park is only 10 km away from the city center. It can be accessed very easily by public transport
- What is Energy park famous for?: Energy park is famous for using renewable energy to power its rides and for creating awareness on saving energy.
- Places nearby Energy park to visit: Places near Energy Park include Shadani Darbar and Magneto-the mall.
- Best time to visit Energy park: The best time to visit the park dates from November to February. The park opens at 10 am and closes at 7 pm.
Nandan Jungle Safari
Nandanvan Jungle Safari is situated in Naya Raipur, 11.6 km from Raipur city center. It allows visitors to experience wildlife in its natural habitat. There are 5 jungle safaris in the 800 acres area to choose from in Nandan Van- Herbivores Safari, Bear Safari, Tiger Safari, Crocodile Safari, and Lion Safari. Experience Jungle Safari in Raipur.
- How to reach Nandanvan Jungle Safari?: Naya Raipur is located at a distance of 35km from Raipur Railway Station and 15km from the Swami Vivekanand Airport, Raipur.
- What is Nandanvan Jungle Safari famous for?: It is famous for the Conservation and breeding of endangered species of wild animals.
- Places nearby Nandanvan Jungle Safari to visit: Places near Nandanvan Jungle Safari include Purkhouti Muktangan and Energy Park.
- Best time to visit Nandanvan Jungle Safari: Best time to visit Nandan van Jungle Safari is all days except Mondays. The Zoo is open from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
Kaivalya dham Jain Temple
Inside the premise of Kaivalya Dham, you can see a series of white temples all dedicated to Jainism. The temples appear white because it is made entirely of marble and no doubt, are an architectural beauty.
The surroundings complement the temples and you’ll feel the spiritual serenity once you reach the Dham. Visit Kaivalya Dham Jain Temple for a spiritual experience.
- How to reach Kaivalya Dham?: It is located on the outskirts of the city, 12.5 km from the city center
- What is Kaivalya Dham famous for?: It is famous for the series of temples arranged in semi-circle made entirely of white marble.
- Places nearby Kaivalya Dham to visit: Tourist Places near Kaivalya Dham include Purkhouti Muktangan andNandanvan Jungle Safari
- Best time to visit Kaivalya Dham: Any time of the year is suitable to visit Kaivalya Dham.
Purkhouti Muktangan is one of the famous gardens in Raipur. The state of Chattisgarh has a rich culture and it is displayed in an open-air exhibition in Purkhouti Muktangan. Inaugurated by Dr. A.P. J. Abdul Kalam, the garden was open for public viewing in 2006.
Since then it has been an integral part of Chattisgarh. Visit Purkhouti Muktangan to know more about the culture of Chattisgarh.
- How to reach Purkhouti Muktangan?: It is around 13.2 km from Swami Vivekananda International Airport Raipur and around 26.5 km from Raipur Railways station. It is best to hire a cab to visit this place
- What is Purkhouti Muktangan famous for?: It is famous for producing an open exhibition reflecting the rich culture of Chhattisgarh.
- Places nearby Purkhouti Muktangan to visit: Places near Purkhouti Muktangan include Shahid Veer Narayan Singh International Cricket Stadium and MM fun city.
- Best time to visit Purkhouti Muktangan: This place can be visited at any time of the year. Timings start from 8 AM to 6 PM, except for Mondays it is open all days of the week.
Mata Kaushalya Temple
Mata Kaushalya Temple is the only temple dedicated to Mata Kaushalya in the world and luckily it is located in Chandkhuri village, only 22 km from Raipur. This ancient temple attracts not only devotees but also tourists who are mesmerized by the scenic beauty of the area surrounding the temple.
Pay a visit to this temple as a homage to Mata Kaushalya, the mother of Lord Rama.
- How to reach Mata Kaushalya Temple?: It is located 21.8 km away from Raipur in Chandkhuri village. You can hire a private vehicle to reach there.
- What is Mata Kaushalya Temple famous for?: Mata Kaushalya Temple is famous for being the only temple dedicated to Mata Kaushalya in the world
- Places nearby Mata Kaushalya Temple to visit: Places near the temple include Chandkhuri.
- Best time to visit Mata Kaushalya Temple: Best time to visit Mata Kaushalya Temple is from 6 am to 10 pm.
Naya Raipur Central Park
Naya Raipur central park also known as Atal Park is a public urban park located in Naya Raipur, the new capital of Chhattisgarh. Built on 35 acres of land, it is a beautiful lush green park in the newly planned city of Chhattisgarh. If you happen to be in Naya Raipur, visiting this park would be worth your while.
- How to reach Naya Raipur central park?: It is located on Central Avenue, 25.9 km away from Raipur. You can easily hire a cab or take public services to this place.
- What is Naya Raipur central park famous for?: Naya Raipur central park represents the rich art and heritage of the state.
- Places nearby Naya Raipur central park to visit: Places near Naya Raipur central park include Naya Raipur Musical Foundation, Magneto- The Mall, and, Purkhouti Muktangan.
- Best time to visit Naya Raipur central park: Sunsets are exceptionally beautiful at this park
Bhilai is a beautiful quaint city in Chhattisgarh that is slowly becoming a major tourist attraction. Reason? Bhilai is a melting pot of cultures and traditions of different castes and tribes who live together in religious harmony.
Not only is the city peaceful but it is also famous for its rich cultural heritage. Tourists come here to visit the Ganga Maiya temple, Tandula Dam, Uwasaggharam Parshwa Teerth, Maitri Bagh, and Dhamdha.
- How to reach Bhilai?: The city of Bhilai is only 32.5 km by road from Raipur. The best way to reach Raipur to Bhilai is by bus which takes about 45 minutes.
- What is Bhilai famous for?: Bhilai is famous for housing the biggest steel plant in India, the Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP)
- Places nearby Bhilai to visit: Ganga Maiya temple, Tandula Dam, Uwasaggharam Parshwa Teerth, Maitri Bagh, and Dhamdha are some of the most visited places in Bhilai
- Best time to visit Bhilai: Best time to visit Bhilai is during the winter season starting from November to March.
The religious city of Durg has some of the most exciting tourist destinations in the state of Chattisgarh. The major point of tourism includes the famous Maitri Bagh Zoo, the beautiful serendipity of Tandula dam and its many famous temples- Pasharwanath Tirth, Shiv Mandir, Ganga Maiya Temple, Chandi Mandir, Sita Maiya Temple, Siyadevi Temple, etc. Visiting Durg will be worth your while if you looking for a religious experience.
- How to reach Durg?: The city of Durg is located only 39 km away from Raipur. The best way to reach Raipur to Durg is by train which takes about 50 minutes.
- What is Durg famous for?: Durg is a major city in Chhattisgarh. Durg is famous for its beautiful temples.
- Places nearby Durg to visit: Jagannath Mandir, Siyadevi Temple, Maitri Bagh, Tandula Dam, Pasharwanath Tirth, and Shiv Mandir are some noteworthy places to visit in Durg
- Best time to visit Durg: Best time to visit Durg is between the months of October to May.
Saint Vallabhacharya Temple
Champaran is the birthplace of Saint Vallabhacharya, the founder of the Vaishnavite school of Hinduism, and bears great contributions to the modern teachings of Hinduism. As an influential figure in Indian history, a huge temple is built in his hours which is one of the popular tourist destinations in Champaran.
It takes about an hour’s ride from Raipur to reach the small but culturally rich village of Champaran.
- How to reach Saint Vallabhacharya Temple?: It is located only 40 km away from Raipur. You can travel by taxi or bus to reach Champaran.
- What is Saint Vallabhacharya Temple famous for?: It is famous as a place of pilgrimage in Champaran. It is the birthplace of Saint Vallabhacharya, the founder of the Vallabh sect.
- Places nearby Saint Vallabhacharya Temple to visit: Places near the temple include Ambuja City Center Mall and Nandan Van Zoo & Safari.
- Best time to visit Saint Vallabhacharya Temple: The best time to visit Saint Vallabhacharya Temple is during winter.
Champaran is a beautiful tourist destination near Raipur. The small but culturally rich village is known famously for its religious significance, it was the birthplace of Saint Vallabhacharya, and thus the village celebrates an annual fair celebrating the anniversary of the revered saint.
Champaran is a popular tourist place for families and visitors who want to know more about the history of the place.
- How to reach Champaran?: It is located only 45 km away from Raipur. Champaran is accessible by bus from Raipur.
- What is Champaran famous for?: Champaran is famous for being the birthplace of Saint Mahaprabhu Vallabhacharya.
- Places nearby Champaran to visit: Rajiv Lochan Mandir, Ghatarani Waterfalls, Arang, Vivekanand Sarovar, Dudhadari temple are some of the tourist attractions in Champaran.
- Best time to visit Champaran: The best time to visit Champaran would be during the winter months from October to March.
Tourist Places Near Raipur Within 100 km
Ghatarani Temple is known for its Navrati celebration which is a time of great exuberance. It is situated next to the mighty waterfall of Ghatarani and in the months following monsoon turns into a nature’s paradise.
Visit Ghatarani Temple as a tourist to experience the devotion and nature’s embrace at this place.
- How to reach Ghatarani Temple?: It is located only 74.8 km away from Raipur. You can reach Ghatarani from Raipur by boarding a bus to Gariaband and changing convenience at Panduka. From Panduka, Ghatarani is about 20Kms and you might get a shared cab or an auto.
- What is Ghatarani Temple famous for?: Ghatarani Temple is famous for its Navrati celebration.
- Places nearby Ghatarani Temple to visit: Places near the temple include Malanjhkudum Falls, Gangrel Dam, and Gadiya Mountain.
- Best time to visit Ghatarani Temple: Best time to visit Ghatarani temple is after the monsoon season.
Ghatarani waterfall is a large waterfall located near the Ghatarani Temple. The scenic beauty of this waterfall is unmatched anywhere else in the whole of Chhattisgarh. It is one of the great tourist places near Raipur for picnics with friends and family. Hiking is also a cherished activity around this waterfall.
- How to reach Ghatarani Waterfall?: It is located next to the Ghatarani Temple. The nearest Bus Stand is Panduka. From Panduka, you can get a shared cab or an auto to reach directly to this place.
- What is Ghatarani Waterfall famous for?: It is one of the largest waterfalls in the whole of Chhattisgarh.
- Places nearby Ghatarani Waterfall to visit: Places near the waterfall include Jatmai Temple, Malanjhkudum Falls, Gangrel Dam, and Gadiya Mountain.
- Best time to visit Ghatarani Waterfall: Best time to visit Ghatarani Waterfall is after the monsoon season as during monsoon the area around the waterfall becomes too dangerous.
Tourist Places Near Raipur Within 200 km
Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary
Named after the Sitanadi which flows through the sanctuary, The Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary witnesses the most number of tourists in an annual year. The reason? probability of seeing eye-to-eye with an endangered species is exponentially high at this sanctuary.
Some of the wildlife found at this sanctuary are tigers, leopards, and jackals. Chital Axis, Sambar, Nilgai, Gaur, Wild Boar, and Dog Cuon Alpinus are also found in great numbers in the sanctuary
- How to reach Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary?: It is located only 115 Km away from Raipur. The best way is to drive, there are many short roads connecting to the sanctuary. The sanctuary is reachable through the Raipur-Deobhog State Highway.
- What is Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary famous for?: It is one of the densest forest areas in India and is home to some of the most exotic wildlife in central India.
- Places nearby Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary: Places to visit near the Sanctuary include Gangrel Dam and Madamsilli Dam.
- Best time to visit Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary: The best time to visit this sanctuary is in the months of November to June.
Bilaspur is one of the best tourist places to visit near Raipur within 200 km. A trip to Bilaspur won’t turn into a disappointment for sure. Reason? There are many sights worthy to visit in Bilaspur, it has some of ancient monuments and temples.
Deorani Jethani temples, Ratanpur Fort, Ram Tekri temple, Pataleshwar Kedar temple, Kutaghat dam, and Khadia dam are some of the top tourist attractions in Bilaspur.
- How to reach Bilaspur?: It is located only 117.3 Km away from Raipur. The best way to reach Raipur to Bilaspur is by taking a train to Bilaspur Jn which takes about 1h 45m to reach.
- What is Bilaspur famous for?: The city is famous in India for producing excellent quality rice. Bilaspur is why Chhattisgarh is called the ‘rice bowl’ of the country.
- Places nearby Bilaspur: Deorani Jethani temples, Ratanpur Fort, Ram Tekri temple, Pataleshwar Kedar temple, Kutaghat dam, and Khadia damare some of the tourist attractions in Bilaspur.
- Best time to visit Bilaspur: The best season to visit Bilaspur is the winter season in the months of October to March.
Barnawapara Wildlife Sanctuary
Named after Bar and Nawapara forest villages, Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary was established in 1976 under the Wildlife Protection Act. At this sanctuary, you can witness Indian bison (Gaur) Cheetal, Sambhar, Neelgai, and Wild boar in their natural form, free and bold.
Not just for the fauna, this sanctuary is also known for its vegetation, tropical dry deciduous forests with teakonia, sal, bamboo, and major trees being triminelia are found in abundance at this sanctuary.
- How to reach Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary?: It is located only 127.6 km away from Raipur. The nearest city Mahasamund is only 45 km from the sanctuary. You can book a private vehicle to reach this sanctuary.
- What is Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary famous for?: Barnawapa Wildlife Sanctuary is famous for its extensive vegetation and for its variety of wildlife.
- Places nearby Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary: Places to visit near the Sanctuary include Lakshman Temple, Surang Tila, Gandeshwara Temple, and Sirpur Group of Monuments.
- Best time to visit Barnawapara Wildlife sanctuary: The best time to visit this sanctuary is in the months of November to June.
Gadiya hill station
Gadiya Mountain is the highest mountain in Kanker. The Doodh river which flows down the mountains seems to have a never-ending supply of natural water, for this reason, the view from Gadiya mountain is quite majestic and surreal. As a hill station, the area around Gadiya mountain experiences a pleasant climate during the advent of Winter.
- How to reach Gadiya Hill Station?: It is located only 140.9 km away from Raipur. Regular Buses run from Kanker to Raipur, on reaching Kanker you can easily take public transport to reach this mountain.
- What is Gadiya Hill Station famous for?: Gadiya Mountain is famous for its Mahashivratri which is celebrated on the Mountain welcoming thousands of devotees to take part in the celebration.
- Places nearby Gadiya Hill Station: Kanker Palace, Malanjhkudum Waterfalls, Charre Marre Water Fall, and Maa Shivani Temple are some of the places to visit near the Gadiya Mountains.
- Best time to visit Gadiya Hill Station: The best season to visit the Gadiya mountains is in the months of October to March.
The history of Kanker dates back to the Stone Age, isn’t that intriguing? Visiting Kanker will not only spark your interest in the origin of our existence but the beautiful attraction will equally steal your curiosity.
Kanker has the most beautiful attractions in the state like the Kanker Palace, Charre Marre waterfalls, Gadiya Mountain, and its natural caves.
- How to reach Kanker?: It is located only 147.3 km away from Raipur. Regular Buses run from Kanker to Raipur.
- What is Kanker famous for?: Kanker is famous for its untouched forests, tribal villages, and Kanker Palace. The tribes of Kanker still practice age-old crafts and traditions.
- Places nearby Kanker: Kanker Palace, Gandiya Mountain, Charre Marre Falls, and Malanjhkudum Falls are some of the noteworthy places to visit in Kanker.
- Best time to visit Kanker: The best season to visit Kanker is in the months of October to March.
Tourist Places Near Raipur Within 300 km
The pilgrimage tourist center for Hindus, Amarkantak is situated in the Maikal Mountains of Madhya Pradesh. It is said that the 15th-century poet, Kabir meditated on Kabir Chabutra (a platform on which Kabir Mediated in the town of Amarkantak).
The reason for making it into the list is that the roads from Chhattisgarh connect directly to Amarkantak, which makes for a fun and scenic road trip.
- How to reach Amarkantak?: It is located only 230.1 km away from Raipur. Roads running through Rewa, Shadol, Anuppur, Jabalpur, Katni, Bilaspur, Gaurela, and Pendra Road connect Amarkantak.
- What is Amarkantak famous for?: People visit from all over the country to attend the massive Shivratri Mela.
- Places nearby Amarkantak: Ancient temples of Kalachuri period, Sarvodaya Jain temple, Shri Yantri mandir are some of the points of tourism in Amarkantak.
- Best time to visit Amarkantak: The best season to visit Amarkantak is in the months of September to February.
Kanha National Park
Kanha National Park is one the tourist place near Raipur only 241 km from the city center. Located in Madhya Pradesh only it stretches over a vast area of 940 sq. km in the two districts Mandla and Balaghat.
This park has a significant population of the Royal Bengal tiger and in 1973 was made the Kanha Tiger Reserve. Today, other wildlife is also found at this reserve, Indian leopards, the sloth bear, barasingha, and the Indian wild dog. are some of the significant ones.
- How to reach Kanha National Park ?: There is no direct connection from Raipur to Kanha National Park. However, you can take the train to Gondia Jn and then take the taxi to Kanha.
- What is Kanha National Park famous for?: The park is known for housing a significant population of the Royal Bengal tiger, Indian leopards, the sloth bear, barasingha, and Indian wild dog.
- Places nearby Kanha National Park: Best Places to visit near the reserve include Kanha Museum, Mandla, and Amarkantak.
- Best time to visit Kanha National Park: The best for tiger spotting at Kanha National Park is between April and May.
The Chitrakote Falls is a natural waterfall on the Indravati River, located approximately 289.4 km from Raipur. Due to its ideal location near Jagdalpur, it has also gained fame as a major picnic spot.
It is one of the most beautiful tourist places near Raipur as the cascading waterfall resembles the great Niagara Falls of the USA, not only does it bears the resemblance but it is also called the Niagara falls of India.
- How to reach Chitrakote Falls?: There is no direct transport mode connectivity between Raipur and Chitrakot. The fastest way to reach from Raipur to Chitrakot is by flight to Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport, then by cab to Chitrakoot or you can travel by train, first to Nagpur, then train to Satna, then a cab to Chitrakoot.
- What is Chitrakote Falls famous for?: It is famous for being called the Niagara Falls of India due to the similar shape of horse feet.
- Places nearby Chitrakote Falls: Best Places to visit near Chitrakote Falls include Kanger Valley National Park, Kailash And Kutumsar Caves, and Tirathgarh Waterfalls.
- Best time to visit Chitrakote Falls: The best season to visit Chitrakote Falls is in the months of October to March. From November, the city offers very nice scenic sights.
Chirmiri hill station
Chirimiri hill station is situated at an altitude of 579 m above sea level, 298 km from Raipur. It lies along the bank of the Hasdeo River which is one of the most prominent tributaries of the Mahanadi River.
As a hill station, the weather is pleasant all year round and in the dense forests, you can find exotic flora and fauna endemic to this region. Visit Chirmiri Hill Station, one of the five hill stations near Raipur.
- How to reach Chirimiri hill station?: You can reach this beautiful hill station of Chirmiri by driving on highways. Driving is the best option because the hill station provides great scenic views.
- What is Chirimiri hill station famous for?: Chirmiri is famous for its natural beauty, heavenly temples, waterfalls, and forests.
- Places nearby Chirimiri hill station: Lord Jagannath Temple is a must-visit tourist place in Chirmiri
- Best time to visit Chirimiri hill station: Though Chirmiri experiences moderate summers and monsoons, it is during winters that it transformed into the heaven of Chhattisgarh.
Tourist Places Near Raipur Within 500 km
Jagdalpur is a beautiful city in the tribal district of Bastar in Chhattisgarh. The reason for calling it beautiful is because in every direction there is beauty sprinkled on the land of Jagdalpur.
On the banks of the Indravati River, there is the ornate Bastar Palace built by the region’s former kings; in the west, you can see Chitrakote Falls cascading over broad cliffs, and in the southeast, tigers roam freely in the Kanger Valley National Park. It goes without a say that there are many tourist attractions in the rich city of Jagdalpur.
- How to reach Jagdalpur?: It is located 301.6 km from Raipur the best and cheapest way to reach Jagdalpur from Raipur is by taking a train.
- What is Jagdalpur famous for?: It is most famous for the monuments and palaces in the city as well as the untouched natural wonders like lakes, waterfalls, and forests.
- Places nearby Jagdalpur: Chitrakote Falls, Bastar Palace, and Kanger Valley National Park are some of the touristy and picture-perfect places in Jagdalpur.
- Best time to visit Jagdalpur: The best season to visit Jagdalpur is the winter season in the months of October to March when the temperature remains comfortable and pleasant.
Pench National Park
Pench National Park is a national park in India’s Madhya Pradesh state which was established in the year 1975. Named after the pristine River Pence which flows through the reserve, Pench National Park is famous for having a significant population of ferocious Bengal Tigers.
There are around 50 tigers residing in the park. It is yet another excellent reserve for tiger spotting near Raipur, located not more than 310 km from the city center of Raipur.
- How to reach Pench National Park ?: There is no direct connection from Raipur to Pench National Park. However, you can take the train to Tumsar Road and then take a taxi to the reserve.
- What is Pench National Park famous for?: It is famous for its ferocious Bengal Tigers that bring a significant amount of tourism to the park.
- Places nearby Pench National Park: Ramtek, Khekranala, Sanchi, and Kanha National Park are the best places to visit near Pench National Park.
- Best time to visit Pench National Park: Starting from October to February is deemed as a good time to visit Pench and November and March are the best months for birdwatching.
Part of Kanger Valley National Park, Dandak Caves was not discovered until April 1995. Ever since then, this cave has been the center of curiosity for scientists and tourists alike.
This cave has two large chambers connected by a very narrow passage that is not more than 250 meters long and 15-25 meters deep. The First Chamber has many giant columns which appear brilliant white while the second chamber remains in complete darkness. Visit this marvel of nature.
- How to reach Dandak Caves?: Dandak Caves are located in the Kanger Valley National park of Chhattisgarh, at a distance of 331.1 km from Raipur.
- What are Dandak Caves famous for?: It is famous for its beautiful formation of stalagmites and stalactites in the caves.
- Places nearby Dandak Caves: Kotamsar caves, Kailash caves, and Tirathgarh waterfall are some of the places of interest near Dandak Caves.
- Best time to visit Dandak Caves: The best times to visit is from September through June. Dandak Caves is open from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM.
Ambikapur is one of the hill stations near Raipur. It is located in the Surguja district of Chhattisgarh and raised to an elevation of 623 meters above sea level. The majority of the terrain in the region is full of dense forests and hills which help to maintain comfortable and cool temperatures throughout the hill station.
As a tourist destination, the cool temperature aids in a pleasant climate to sightsee in and around the city of Ambikapur.
- How to reach Ambikapur?: Ambikapur is located at a distance of 345.6 km from Raipur. The best and fastest way to reach Ambikapur from Raipur is by bus which takes about. is 7h 30m.
- What is Ambikapur famous for?: Ambikapur in Chattisgarh is an ancient city that dates back to the mythological epics of the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.
- Places nearby Ambikapur: Shivpur Shiv Temple, Mahamaya Temple, Rakasganda Fall, Jogimara Caves, and Tiger Point are some of the best places to visit in Ambikapur.
- Best time to visit Ambikapur: Due to Ambikapur’s suitable climate it is an ideal holiday destination for all times, be it summers, winters, or monsoons.
Mainpat hill station
Mainpat Hill Station known as the “Shimla/Swiss of Chhattisgarh” is a popular tourist attraction near Raipur. Along with its natural beauty and cool climate, it is also home to many Tibetan religious refugees who worship at a temple dedicated to Buddha.
They even manufacture and design mats as well as woolen cloth which they sell as a commodity here.
- How to reach Mainpat?: It is located 373.8 km away from Raipur. Mainpat is connected by road to Raigarh, Raipur, Ambikapur, and many more major cities, making it easy to drive up there.
- What is Mainpat famous for?: Mainpat is famous for the gravity-defying waterfall called Ulta Pani or Bisar Pani, which also translates to Upside down water.
- Places nearby Mainpat: Tourist places to visit in Mainpat include Dhakpo Monastery, Tibet Refugee Camp, Tiger Point, Machali Point, Bouncing Land, Tatapani, and Jogimara Caves.
- Best time to visit Mainpat: Best time to visit Mainpat is during monsoon, the landscapes come alive during this time of the year.
Bailadila Hill Station
After Gadiya Mountains, Bailadila is the second most prominent hill in Chhattisgarh. While the city of Raipur is not a hill station itself, there are a total of 5 hill stations near Raipur.
Bailadila is a beautiful hill range in Chhattisgarh which is known for its huge deposits of iron ore. As a hill station, you can spot Beautiful Green Valleys Of Bailadila from a distance of about 40 km southwest of Dantewada.
- How to reach Bailadila?: It is located 376.1 km away from Raipur. the best way to reach Bailadila from Raipur is by bus.
- What is Bailadila famous for?: Bailadila is famous for producing iron ore, the crude form of iron from which iron is extracted.
- Places nearby Bailadila: Places To Visit In Baila Dila include Danteshwari Temple, Batissa Temple, Bailadila Iron Ore, and many more.
- Best time to visit Bailadila: Best Time to Visit Bailadila is during the winter months in November to February.
Bandhavgarh National Park is situated in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. This rich biodiverse park is known for its large occupancy of royal Bengal tigers, especially in the central Tala zone.
Bandhavgarh is different from any other tiger reserve because it has the highest density of Royal Bengal tigers in the world. Fun fact: All the white tigers trace their genealogy to Bandhavgarh National Park. Impressive right?
Take this opportunity to visit the heritage white tigers of Bandhavgarh National Park.
- How to reach Bandhavgarh National Park?: There is no railway station at Bandhavgarh and the closest station is located in Umaria which is at a distance of 32 km from the city. You can reach Bandhavgarh from the railway station by hiring a private taxi or by taking a bus to Bandhavgarh.
- What is Bandhavgarh National Park famous for?: Bandhavgarh has the highest density of Tigers and is probably the best place in the world to sight one.
- Places nearby Bandhavgarh National Park: Do not miss to visit these places in Bandhavgarh National Park- Shesh-Saiya, Bandhavgarh Hill, Bandhavgarh Ancient Caves, and Panpatha Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Best time to visit Bandhavgarh National Park: Peak season starts in October and ends in March at Bandhavgarh National Park
And just like that, we have come to the end of the article “35 Tourist Places Near Raipur To Have a Fun Weekend”, hope the list was helpful in planning your trip to Raipur. Happy Travelling!
You may also like Best Places To Visit Near Jamshedpur | 2023 Guide.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
These are the top 10 places in Raipur:
1. Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum
2. Urja Park
3. Vivekananda Sarovar
4. Naya Raipur Central Park
5. Nandan Van Zoo
6. Doodhadhari Monastery
7. Mahamaya Temple
8. Kevalya Dham Jain Temple
9. Temple of Saint Vallabhacharya
10. Ghatarani Waterfalls.
No, Raipur is not a hill station but there are 5 amazing hill stations near Raipur- Mainpat, Chirmiri, Baila Dila, Gadiya Mountains, and Ambikapur.
Among the major cities near Raipur, Bhilai is the closest city to Raipur located at a distance of 30 km from Raipur. Next is Durg, Bilaspur, Korba, Nagpur, Jabalpur, Chandrapur, and Rourkela respectively.
Kanker, Nandan Van Zoo, Balod, and Champaran are one of the most scenic places near Raipur for a long drive.