Raipur the capital of Chattisgarh bears great importance to the country. It is a mineral-rich city and is counted as one of the biggest producers of steel and iron in India. Though a mineral-dense city, Raipur lacks in no way when it comes to parks and scenic places. Here is a list of the best picnic spot in Raipur to leisurely spend one’s time outdoors with one’s favorite people.
Best One Day Picnic Places in Raipur
Picnic Spot Near Raipur Within 50km
What do we look for when looking for a picnic spot? An ideal location surrounded by nature, enough to accommodate a large number of people.
Well, this park has it all and can be said to be the best Picnic spot in Raipur. It is ideal for a one-day Picnic in Raipur as it is located right in the heart of the city.
It has a small green strip exhibiting a carved relic of Mahatma Gandhi, plus a play area and a space for yoga classes. If you ask anyone which is the most visited picnic spot in Raipur, I’m pretty sure the name of Gandhi Udyan Park is definitely going to pop up.
- How to reach Gandhi Udyan Park?: Located at a distance of 1.9 km from Raipur, you can easily reach the park by taking public transport.
- What is Gandhi Udyan Park famous for?: Gandhi Udhyan Park is famous for its recurring flower display
- Places nearby Gandhi Udyan Park: Places near the park include Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum.
- Best time to visit Gandhi Udyan Park: Best time to visit Gandhi Udyan Park is during sunrise and sunset.
MM Fun City
MM Fun City is Chattisgarh’s largest water park. It has many water activities to keep you occupied for the day and after a long day of strenuous activities, you can wash away your fatigue at the restaurant which is on the premise of the waterpark itself.
For this reason, waterparks are the perfect picnic spot to spend some quality time with friends and family, all you need to do is drive to the destination and a day filled with fun is waiting for you at the waterpark.
- How to reach MM Fun City?: Located at a distance of 2.5 km from Raipur, you can easily reach the park by taking public transport.
- What is MM Fun City famous for?: MM Fun City is Chhatisgarh’s largest park located in Raipur, the capital city.
- Places nearby MM Fun City: Places nearby the waterpark include Le ROI, and Club Paraiso.
- Best time to visit MM Fun City: Visit on weekdays for a discounted price
Mahaveer Udyan or Anupam Garden for some is located on the Great Eastern Road in Raipur. It is a perfect place to have quality time with your friends and family.
The minutely curated Garden has a spacious sitting area and an open gym where you can try your hand at some calisthenics. It is perfect for all age groups and is easily one of the best picnic spots in the area.
- How to reach Mahaveer Udyan?: Located on the Great Eastern Road at a distance of 3.3 km from Raipur, you can easily reach this park from anywhere in Raipur by taking an auto rickshaw.
- What is Mahaveer Udyan famous for?: Mahaveer Udyan park is a popular place in Raipur as a picnic spot
- Places nearby Mahaveer Udyan: Places nearby include Wonderland park and Swami Vivekananda Sarovar
- Best time to visit Mahaveer Udyan: Best time to visit the park is during the morning and evening hours.
Swami Vivekananda Sarovar
Swami Vivekananda Sarovar also known as the Budha Talab is the ideal place for a picnic in Raipur. It is not just a local favorite but it is also one of the most visited tourist spots in Raipur.
Visitors love to spend time in this placid and calm park and often host picnics with their loved ones when the climate gets chilly.
The slant winter sun is the perfect time to have a picnic in Swami Vivekananda Sarovar. There is a lake where boating facilities are available and the beautiful tapering palm trees can be seen throughout the premise of the park.
- How to reach Swami Vivekananda Sarovar?: Located at a distance of 3.8 km from Raipur, you can easily reach the park by taking public transport.
- What is Swami Vivekananda Sarovar famous for?: It is famous for its 37 feet bronze statue of Swami Vivekananda which holds the record in the Limca Book of Records as the largest statue of Vivekanand in the world.
- Places nearby Swami Vivekananda Sarovar: Places near the Sarovar includes Nagar Ghadi and Mahamaya Temple.
- Best time to visit Swami Vivekananda Sarovar: The best time to visit Swami Vivekanda Sarovar is during sunset.
Katora Talab Park
Katora Talab park is a public park situated again in the city center of Raipur. What makes it an ideal spot for a picnic is that it is open to all and can host a large number of people. It has a spacious sitting space, food stalls, and a lake along with a flower display.
This park has all the things to make a picnic successful, even when you weren’t planning to have a picnic. All you need a be in the company of your best companions and voila before you know it you are having a gala time.
There are many selfie zone in the park, a rainbow gateway, and a fountain that lights up to illuminate your evening stroll around the park. I hope this reason alone is enough to make you check this park out.
- How to reach Katora Talab?: Located in the civil lines on the Great Eastern Road at a distance of 3.9 km from Raipur, you can easily reach this park from anywhere in Raipur by taking an auto rickshaw.
- What is Katora Talab famous for?: Near the park is the Katora Talab market which is best known for fashion clothing in retail.
- Places nearby Katora Talab: Places nearby include Swami Vivekanand Sarovar and Marine Drive
- Best time to visit Katora Talab: Best time to visit the park is during the late afternoon hours.
Telinbandha Park is located opposite a long stretch of water known as the Marine Drive of Raipur. The reason it is called the Marine Drive of Raipur is right before your eyes, a large park that stretches to the horizon giving the illusion that you are standing right by the ocean.
Of course, it’s trickery but it is one of the many wonders of Raipur. In front of the park is a beautiful pathway. An initiative was taken by the government of Raipur to increase tourism.
Some of the most jaw-dropping features of this pathway are the open art gallery and free Wifi. The art is absolutely stunning along with the free Wifi, it is sure to keep you for long hours.
Why not make a picnic out of it? There are also many food stalls set up in the park adjacent to the lake and clean toilets. It is a picture-perfect spot for a picnic in Raipur.
- How to reach Telibandha park?: Located in the Jal Vihar Colony, Civil Lines at a distance of 4.2 km from the city center you can easily reach Telibandha park in an auto-rickshaw.
- What is Telibandha park famous for?: Telibandha park is famously also known as the Marine Drive of Raipur.
- Places nearby Telibandha park: Places nearby include Marine Drive and Indian Coffee House.
- Best time to visit Telibandha park: Best time to visit Telibandha park is any time of the day.
Solar Energy Park
Solar Energy Park is a theme park situated in Raipur. This is one of those parks which are true to their names, this park as the name suggests runs entirely on solar energy.
It is the ideal space to have picnics and small gatherings, if bored you can take a ride on the solar-powered toy trains and rides that run on the premise.
Additionally, there is a lake located inside the park where you could take a walk admiring the greenery of the park. For this reason, it is the perfect spot for a picnic especially from the months of November to February when the weather turns exceptionally pleasant.
- How to reach Solar Energy Park?: Located at a distance of 10.1 km from the city center in the Indraprastha Colony in Raipur, you can take an auto-rickshaw to the park.
- What is Solar Energy Park famous for?: Energy park is famous for using renewable energy to power its rides and for creating awareness on saving energy.
- Places nearby Solar Energy Park: Places nearby include LSD cafe, Gwala Snacks Centre, and FITB.
- Best time to visit Solar Energy Park: This park can be visited at any time of the day.
Chhatisgarh has a rich heritage of tribal art and culture. Purkhauti Muktangan is an excellent place to know more about the art and culture of Chhattisgarh. Visitors looking for a glimpse into the art while having a fun-filled day with friends and family can come here for a one-day picnic.
It has ample greenery with huge trees and enough space for children to roam and play around. There are even some restaurants on the premises from where visitors can pick up food and beverages and take a chance on a spontaneous picnic.
- How to reach Purkhauti Muktangan?: Located at a distance of 21.7 km from Raipur’s city center, you can reach directly to the park by hiring a cab.
- What is Purkhauti Muktangan famous for?: It is famous for displaying an open exhibition reflecting the rich culture of Chhattisgarh.
- Places nearby Purkhauti Muktangan: Places near Purkhauti Muktangan include Nandan Van Zoo and Safari.
- Best time to visit Purkhauti Muktangan: Visiting hours at Purkhauti Muktangan start from Tuesday to Sunday, 8 am to 6 pm, On Monday the park remains closed.
Nandan Van Zoo And Safari
Nandan Van Zoo and Safari is an initiative taken by the government of Chattisgarh to create awareness among visitors about wildlife.
The best thing about Nandan Van is that it is not a Zoo but also a Jungle Safari which includes a Bear Safari, Herbivore Safari, Tiger Safari, Lion Safari, and a crocodile exhibition.
It is the best place in Raipur for a picnic as adjacent to the Zoo is a Botanical Garden where people can spread a picnic feast and later dabble into the many safaris witnessing wildlife of endangered and national importance.
- How to reach Nandan Van Zoo and Safari?: It is located in Atari, Chattisgarh and is at a distance of 35km from Raipur Railway Station and 15km from the Swami Vivekanand Airport, Raipur. You can book a cab from the respective railway station and airport accordingly.
- What is Nandan Van Zoo famous for?: It is famous for the Conservation and breeding of endangered species of wild animals in Chhattisgarh.
- Places nearby Nandan Van Zoo: Places nearby the Jungle Safari include Purkhouti Muktangan, and Naya Raipur Central Park.
- Best time to visit Nandan Van Zoo: Visiting hours at the Zoo starts from Tuesday to Sunday, 8:30 am to 5 pm, On Monday the Zoo remains closed.
Picnic Spot Near Raipur Within 100 Km
It is one of the few waterfalls located near Raipur, Chattisgarh. This breathtaking waterfall is also the largest waterfall in Chattisgarh and becomes a popular picnic spot during the winter season.
You can reach this waterfall following a small trek through a forest which would lead you to this beautiful cascade. At the bottom of the Ghatarani waterfall lies a naturally formed pool where people like to submerge themselves and take part in various water activities.
- How to reach Ghatarani Waterfall?: It is located next to the Ghatarani Temple. The nearest Bus Stand is Panduka. From Panduka, you can get a shared cab or an auto to reach directly to this place.
- What is Ghatarani Waterfall famous for?: It is one of the largest waterfalls in the whole of Chhattisgarh.
- Places nearby Ghatarani Waterfall to visit: Places near the waterfall include Jatmai Temple, Malanjhkudum Falls, Gangrel Dam, and Gadiya Mountain.
- Best time to visit Ghatarani Waterfall: Best time to visit Ghatarani Waterfall is after the monsoon season as during monsoon the area around the waterfall becomes too dangerous.
Balod is one of the best places to view to enjoy a picnic after a long drive. it is a beautiful spot for viewing the sunrise and sunset.
Not only the amazing view but Balod is also known for its historical significance. Here at Balod, you can visit Ganga Maiya Temple, Siya Devi waterfalls, and Tandula Dam as a part of your picnic expedition.
- How to reach Balod?: There is 1 direct train from Raipur to Balod. The minimum time a train takes to reach Balod from Raipur is 2h 58m.
- What is Balod famous for?: It is the Gurudwara with the largest Sarovar of all the Gurudwaras.
- Places nearby Balod: Siyadevi Temple, Siyadevi Waterfall, Tandula Dam and lake, and Chitwa Dongari Cave are some of the places of interest in Balod.
- Best time to visit Balod: January and February are the best months to visit Balod.
Picnic Spot Near Raipur Within 200 km
Udanti Sitanadi Tiger Reserve is located in the District of Gariaband. Udanti is a great spot for tiger sightings ad might take a whole day just to witness one.
Not only Udanti Sanctuary is a great place for having a one-day picnic near Raipur but also for family outings. It might take your whole day to witness a tiger at this sanctuary but it would undoubtedly be the highlight of the day.
- How to reach Udanti?: You can reach the destination by road, the nearest bus stand is Pandri.
- What is Udanti famous for?: At Udanti Sitanadi Tiger Reserve there is a yield for higher quality, pure breed variety of buffaloes.
- Places nearby Udanti: Jagdalpur, Kanker, Bastar, Bilaspur, and Kondagaon are some of the nearby cities to visit
- Best time to visit Udanti: November to June are the best months to visit Udanti.
We have come to the article “Family Picnic Spots in Raipur”, hope the article was helpful for planning a picnic in Raipur. If you still can’t decide, these are our top three picks for picnic spots in Raipur- Nandan Van Jungle Safari, Solar Energy Park, and Purkhauti Muktangan. Happy exploring!
You may also like Top 6 Jungle Resort in Jharkhand To Visit.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Recreation Parks are an innovative way to try to get people to connect with nature without having the need to travel long distances into the wilderness. It has a positive effect on the overall health of an individual, regular visits to the park have certain health benefits; it enhances well-being and helps tackle obesity. All public parks in Raipur have some form of recreational activity, be it an open gym, boating, yoga area, or playground. Telibandha Park is one such park that promotes health awareness in Raipur.
Ghatarani Waterfalls: One of the largest waterfalls in Raipur, Ghatarani Waterfalls is the perfect spot for families to have a picnic. Summers are the ideal to time visit this waterfall and monsoons are the most slippery. Winters are deemed as the most suitable to visit this waterfall with children.
Vivekanand Sarovar: Situated in the city center of Raipur, Vivekanand Sarovar is a popular choice for a one day picnic with family and friends.
Naya Raipur Central Park: It’s a great place for having a picnic and has everything to entertain people of all age groups.
Chila. It is a flat crepe-like dish eaten across Raipur with great delight. It is made up of the normal Dosa batter of rice and lentil but unlike a dosa which is crisp, Chila is denser and absorbs chutneys and sauces more easily. It is mostly eaten as a breakfast item in Raipur and is best served with green coriander chutney