Nagpur is an important city in Maharashtra and has several beautiful forts, temples, and wildlife sanctuaries. Also called the Orange and the Tiger city of India, it was established in the 18th Century.
This beautiful city is sprinkled with several picnic spots, so given below is some information to guide you. Here are the Top 13 Picnic Spots Near Nagpur.
13 Great Picnic Spots You Should Visit Near Nagpur!
Picnic Spots Near Nagpur Within 50 km
When translated, the term Dheekshabhoomi means “the ground where Buddhists got ordained”. It is a popular place that people flock to from all over the country. Located about 5 km from Nagpur, it is one of the best one-day picnic spots near Nagpur and is well-known for its historical significance.
One of India’s well-traversed places, and a popular tourist location, it is said to be the place where Ambedkar turned to Buddhism. Better believe it, Dheekshabhoomi is one of the world’s largest Stupas!
- How To Reach Dheekshabhoomi?: You can take a bus from your city to Deekshabhoomi Bus Stand, which is the closest bus station. From there you can take a cab to the place.
- What Is Dheekshabhoomi Famous For?: Deekshabhoomi is famous for being the place where Ambedkar turned to Buddhism, apart from that it is also visited by a number of travelers, and has one of the world’s largest Stupas!
- Places Nearby Dheekshabhoomi To Visit: Ramdham, Vidharba Cricket Association Ground, and Sai Baba Temple
- Best Time To Visit Dheekshabhoomi: October to March
This beautiful artificial lake was built during the Bhonsle era and lies along Nagpur’s southwestern border. Considered one of the largest of the 11 lakes in Nagpur city, the lake stretches out to around 15 km.
The flora and fauna that surround the lake make it a nature lovers’ paradise. Since it is the beginning of the Nag River it offers plenty of chances for boating. A beautiful garden known as the Ambazari Garden flanks the lake.
Ambazari Lake is situated about 6 km away from Nagpur. This is one of the great one day picnic spots near Nagpur.
- How To Reach Ambazari Lake?: You can take a flight from your city to Nagpur Airport which is just 4.5 km away. The closest Railway Station is around 4.3 km away, and the closest Bus Stand is Subash Metro Nagar which is 2km away.
- What Is Ambazari Lake Famous For?: Ambazari Lake is a beautiful lake that is well known for paddle and row boating.
- Places Nearby Ambazari Lake To Visit: Swami Narayanan Temple, Ramtek Temple
- Best Time To Visit Ambazari Lake: Ambazari Lake can be visited anytime during the year.
Situated at about 6 km from Nagpur, Futala Lake which is also called Telankhedi Lake can be found in Vayuseva Nagar, in the western part of Nagpur.
Overlooking the river, Futala Lake is known for its tranquility and serenity. The Lake is as pretty-as-a-picture and has an unmistakable stillness about it.
The combination of its silent aura and natural beauty is what makes this lake one of the great picnic spots near Nagpur for a one day trip.
If all that traveling has exhausted you, you can grab a snack from any of the eateries nearby to refresh yourself. Considered Nagpur’s very own Chowpatty beach, this is one of the best picnic spots near Nagpur.
- How To Reach Futala Lake?: By taking a car from Nagpur, or a taxi.
- What is Futala Lake Famous For?: The beautiful Futala Lake is most well-known for its colorful fountains which are lit up at night, and its otherwise still beauty.
- Places Nearby Futala Lake: Swaminarayan Temple, Dheekshabhoomi
- Best Time To Visit Futala Lake: October – March
The Swaminarayan Temple is next on the list of the best picnic spots near Nagpur. This is a prominent Hindu temple that often has a large crowd following.
While its exterior is ornate and a beautiful sight, the interior too, beckons with a green carpet that has a soothing appearance.
The visitors to this temple claim that the best times to visit the Swaminarayan Temple are after sunset when it is completely lit up, and this provides a contrast against the night sky.
- How To Reach Swaminarayan Temple?: Swaminarayan Mandir Dighori is the nearest bus stand, which is 6 mins walking distance away from the temple.
- What Is Swaminarayan Temple Famous For?: Swaminarayan Temple is famous for its intricate carvings, and worship of the deity Swaminarayan.
- Places Nearby Swaminarayan Temple To Visit: Parnera Hill and fort, Tithal Beach
- Best Time To Visit Swaminarayan Temple: October – March
Next on the list of Best picnic spots near Nagpur, is Amba Khori. It is just 29 km away from Nagpur. It is located near the banks of the Pench river and has several great waterfalls as well as lovely green forests.
Many claim Amba Khori looks almost like a scene from a foreign location and is taken by its breathtaking beauty! Many also claim that Amba Khori’s Meghdoot Reservoir is identical to Kalidasa’s heroine Shakuntala and her eyes full of tears!
- How To Reach Amba Khori?: You can take a flight from Sonegaon domestic airdrome which is 6 km away. The closest Railway station is Nagpur Junction which is 80 km away and Sonegaon Bus Stand which is 3 km away.
- What Is Amba Khori Famous For?: Amba Khori is famous for the Meghdoot Reservoir which is identical to Kalidasa’s heroine Shakuntala and her eyes full of tears, which makes it one of the best scenic picnic spots.
- Places Nearby Amba Khori To Visit: Totladoh Lake Dam, Ramtek
- Best Time To Visit Amba Khori: One can visit Amba Khori throughout the year.
The beautiful Waki Woods situated on Saoner Road, is close to Warki Dargha. Just 29 km from Nagpur, it is flanked by the Kolar river on one side and a small hill on the other. Waki Woods also has tents that are fully furnished, equipped with a phone, and electricity powered too!
Waki Woods is a Resort that offers a plethora of activities to do in the woods including trekking, bird watching, archery, boating, riding, eco-tourism, wildlife photography, etc. It also has a Dhaba close by where you can get some really delicious food to refresh yourself!
- How To Reach Waki Woods?: You can take a flight from your city to Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport which is just 8 km away. The closest Railway Station is Nagpur and so is the nearest bus stand, which is Bhagwan Nagar Bus Stand.
- What Is Waki Woods Famous For?: Waki Woods is renowned for being a beautiful resort where one can partake in activities such as archery, birdwatching, boating, etc.
- Places Nearby Waki Woods To Visit: Ambazari Lake, Maharajbhag Zoo
- Best Time To Visit Waki Woods: Waki Woods can be visited all throughout the year
Just 35 km from Nagpur, Dhapewada, happens to be another of the best picnic spots near Nagpur. Dhapewada is situated on the Chandrabhaga lake, in Vidharba.
A beautiful place, with the Ramtek hill in the background, some of the sights to see here include temples such as Vithoba Temple, and lake Khindsy’s calming waters.
- How To Reach Dhapewada?: You can take a train from Kamleshwar Railway Station which is just 10 km away.
- What Is Dhapewada Famous For?: Dhapewada is most famous for the Vithoba Temple and beautiful Lake Khindsy.
- Places Nearby Dhapewada To Visit: Ambazari Lake, Adasa
- Best Time To Visit Dhapewada: March to October
Adasa in Kamleshwar is just 42 km from Nagpur. A quiet village, it has a number of temples that seem to enliven the tranquil place. This is what makes it one of the best picnic spots near Nagpur.
If you choose to visit Adasa, you will not get bored. Some of the sights to see at Adasa, include the Adasa Ganpati Temple, which is one of eight similar temples in Vidharba.
- How To Reach Adasa?: You can take a flight from your city to the nearest airport which is Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport which is just 42 km away. Alternatively, you can take a train from Malegaon Vyenku Railway Station which is 10.5 km away from Adasa. You can also take a bus which happens to be Nagpur’s standard mode of transport.
- What Is Adasa Famous For?: Adasa is famous for being the perfect location for people interested in learning more about India’s history and culture. Adasa has several temples that enliven it, which anyone would want to visit.
- Places Nearby Adasa To Visit: Ramtek and Dhapewada
- Best Time To Visit Adasa: October to March
Ramtek which is 49 km from Nagpur, is associated with Rama the Hindu mythological figure, and his stay during exile. While Ramtek has great historical significance, the place is incredibly beautiful too!
There are many places to see in Ramtek, such as the beautiful Deolapar, the Ram Temple, and Shantinath Atishaya Kshetra. Let’s just say that this makes it one of the best couple picnic spots near Nagpur.
- How To Reach Ramtek?: You can take a flight from Sonegaon Airport which is just 49 km from Ramtek. The closest railway station is in Ramtek itself i.e. Ramtek Railway Station and the closest Bus Stand is Ramtek Bus Stand
- What Is Ramtek Famous For?: Ramtek is famous for being a beautiful historical city associated with Rama the Hindu mythological figure and where he stayed during his exile.
- Places Nearby Ramtek To Visit: Totladoh Dam, Khindsy Lake
- Best Time To Visit Ramtek: November during the Kalidasa Festival.
Picnic Spots Near Nagpur Within 100 km
Khekhranala, in Nagpur, is one of the good couple picnic spots near Nagpur! It is a tranquil and beautiful dam that is actually built for irrigation purposes, set on a beautiful Turquoise blue lake.
Khekhranala is located on the borders of the Pench National Reserve, in the Khapa range. It has a large variety of fauna and it is also very well known for being a water sporting enthusiasts’ haven.
Alternatively, you can also go on a safari in the surrounding Nagalwadi jungle. You can also go trekking there, and visit the natural cave and the beauteous waterfall nearby!
- How To Reach Khekhranala?: You can take a flight from your city to Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport which is just 25 km away. The closest Railway Station is Sawanga Railway station which is just 10 km from the place. The closest bus stand is Ahmedabad Central Bus Station
- What Is Khekhranala Famous For?: Khekhranala is a beautiful dam set on a lake that is very well known for its water sporting activities, picnic spots, and sightseeing since it is situated on a hill.
- Places Nearby Khekhranala To Visit: Adasa and Dhapewada
- Best Time To Visit Khekhranala: Kekhranala ought to be visited during the monsoon season.
Pench National Park
This wondrous Wild Life Sanctuary is located at a distance of about 100 km from Nagpur. Some of the animals it houses are Tigers, Sloth bears, Wild boars, striped bears, antelope, gaur, and Indian wolves among others.
Some of the attractions of this place include Safari by Elephant or Jeep, Birdwatching, Photography, etc. This is a good 2 days picnic spot near Nagpur.
- How To Reach Pench National Park?: For those people considering taking a flight, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport is located just 130 km from the park. For those wanting to travel by bus Seoni is the nearest Bus Stand which is just 62 km away. The Railhead at Seoni is 72 km away from Pench National Park.
- What Is Pench National Park Famous For?: Pench National Park is a wondrous Wild Life Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh that is famous for its beautiful flora as well as animals like Gaur (Indian Bison), Cheetal, Sambar, Nilgai, Wild Dog, Wild Pig, Tigers, Leopards, Wolves, Hyenas, Jackals, Jungle Cats, etc.
- Places Nearby Pench National Park To Visit: Khekhranala, Ramtek
- Best Time To Visit Pench National Park: February to June is the best time to visit this National Park.
Picnic Spots Near Nagpur Within 150 km
Navegaon National Park
The Navegaon National Park is another one on our list of the best picnic spots near Nagpur. Famed for its tigers, the Navegaon national park is located in the Arjun- Morgaon subdivision of the Gondia District.
Located about 144 km from Nagpur, we can also find panthers, sloth bears, leopards, sambar, and nilgai here. 60% of Maharashtra’s bird population comes from Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary which is located within the park.
People like to go on Safaris, or just enjoy nature here. It might even be a great idea for a 2 days picnic spot near Nagpur.
- How To Reach Navegaon National Park?: You can take a flight from Nagpur Airport which is 150 km away, The nearest railway station is Gondia railway station 65 km, and the nearest bus stand is Navegaon Bus Station.
- What Is Navegaon National Park Famous For?: Navegaon National Park is well known for being a great picnic spot, which is especially famous for its tigers.
- Places Nearby Navegaon National Park To Visit: Navegaon Lake and Itiadoh Dam
- Best Time To Visit Navegaon National Park: The best time to visit Navegaon National Park is from November to February.
Picnic Spots Near Nagpur Within 200 km
Adilabad, which is around 196 km from Nagpur, was previously called Edlabad, after Ali Adil Shah who was the sultan of Bijapur.
Adilabad is called the White Gold City, some of the highlights of Adilabad include the Kuntala Waterfalls, the Pochera Waterfalls, Sathnala Dam, and the Basar Saraswati Temple.
- How To Reach Adilabad?: You can take a flight from Rajiv Gandhi International Airport which is 341 Km away. The nearest Railway Station is the Adilabad Railway Station and the nearest bus stand is the Kapparla Bus Stand
- What is Adilabad Famous For?: Adilabad is called the White Gold City and has many sights to see including its beautiful Dams and the Basar Saraswati Temple.
- Places Nearby Adilabad To Visit: Raichur, Bhopal
- Best Time To Visit Adilabad: The weather is considered best during winter, from November to March.
If you liked the above-given information about the best picnic spots near Nagpur, then let us know about it in the comments! Also, please feel free to share this article with your friends!
Do you have any suggestions for other picnic spots such as these in the area, that are worth a visit? Do mention your thoughts and ideas in the comments!
You may also like Resorts Near Nagpur For One Day Picnic!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
The places described above are a few really great examples of one-day picnic spots near Nagpur.
Nagpur is also known for its production of silk and oranges. Other than that it is also known as the Tiger city of India because it has some wildlife sanctuaries having tigers in its vicinity.
Nagpur is quite costly but it is cheaper to stay in Nagpur than it is to live in Delhi. So, perhaps visiting this place will upset your budget!
The city of Dharampeth is considered to be an upscale and expensive part of Nagpur to reside in.
Nagpur is also called the Orange City
Before the British colonized India, Nagpur was ruled by the Bhonsle dynasty of Marathas and its last reigning king was Raghuji Bhonsle III.
The city of Nagpur got its name from the river Nag or Nag people.