Pune is an exciting place to be if you are an adventure junkie and know the marred city life isn’t for you. So, when the weekend arrives, we’ll suggest you pack your bags and head to these breathtaking hill stations near Pune for an adventurous time.
Trekking within this untouched green could in fact be the perfect way to unwind over the weekends.
Stay Updated! Join Now
15 Hill Stations Near Pune To Beat The Heat
Wondering which hill stations near Pune city are the absolute best place to go to over the weekends? Here is a list of hill stations near Pune.
Hill Stations Near Pune Within 50 km
Lavasa, a planned hill station in the Western Ghats, is a popular tourist destination for the people of Pune. Lavasa is a sprawling 100-square-kilometer hill station. The beauty of the place is the intriguingly planned city which is home to some of the most luxurious and beautiful resorts near Pune.
Can you believe such a beautiful hill station is located approximately 50 km from the city of Pune? It is the perfect destination for a one day trip or for a relaxing weekend.
A two-night, three-day vacation is ideal for exploring this scenic waterside. If you include accommodation, transfers, meals, sightseeing tours, and other services it will cost you around Rs. 5k to 10k for the whole trip.
- How to reach Lavasa?: A bus from Pune Junction to Lavasa via Swargate and ST Stand Paud will take approximately 2h 43m. Lavasa also makes for a perfect road trip from Pune.
- Why is Lavasa famous?: Lavasa is well-known for its fun and exciting water activities. Lakeshore Watersports is popular due to its strategic location on the banks of Warasgaon Lake and the adrenaline-filled water sports it offers. Lavasa is also known as the Ghost City near Pune, you can see a lot of abandoned apartments around this hill station
- What is the best time to visit Lavasa?: The best months to visit Lavasa are September and March
Tamhini Ghat is a remote hill station near Pune to visit with friends. You are promised to have a relaxing and rejuvenating moment alternated with scenic views of the Sahyadri Ranges. Tamhini Ghat is a beautiful mountain pass that connects the villages of Mulshi and Tamhini which is also a popular trekking and hiking trail.
It is the ideal hill station near Pune. Bike riders from Pune should plan their trip to take in the panoramic views as it is one of the best hill stations near Pune city which is within a distance of 50 km from the cosmopolitan city.
- How to reach Tamhini Ghat?: Tamhini Ghat is well connected by road to Pune. If you are planning a road trip take the road to Mulshi Lake ahead of Pirangut village. Mulshi Lake will be visible after about 20 kilometers. State buses run through the Tamhini Ghat, connecting Pune to locations along the Goa highway.
- Why is Tamhini Ghat famous?: Tamhini Ghat is a well-known spot for trekking. The trekking difficulty around the ghats is moderate and welcomes new trekkers. Devkund waterfall, a hidden waterfall in the Raigad District, is a one-of-a-kind single-plunge waterfall hidden deep within the jungle and is also a popular picnic spot near Tamhini.
- What is the best time to visit Tamhini Ghat?: Tamhini Ghat’s waterfalls are spectacular during the monsoon season, which lasts from July to September.
Hill Stations Near Pune Within 100 km
Lonavala is one of the best hill stations near Pune city with dazzling views, thrilling viewpoints, and a huge array of adventures. It is a hill station located in the Western Ghats of the Sahyadri range. The entire area is covered in dense forests, pristine waterfalls, and shimmering lakes.
It is one of the most visited and notable hill stations in Maharashtra.
There are countless places to visit in Lonavala. Bhushi Dam, Wax Museum, Shaniwar Wada, and Dagadusheth Ganpati are a few examples.
- How to reach Lonavala?: The easiest way to get from Pune to Lonavala is by train, which takes 53 minutes. The quickest way to get from Pune to Lonavala is by bus, which takes 30 minutes. Regular and frequent services to Lonavala are provided by state buses, private buses, taxis, and tour operators. Lonavala also makes for a perfect travel destination for a road trip.
- Why is Lonavala famous?: Lonavala is an excellent weekend getaway destination. Lonavala, a popular hill station in western Maharashtra, has a number of enticing places to visit. The beauty of this town will astound you, from various perspectives with panoramic views to age-old forts.
- What is the best time to visit Lonavala?: The best time to visit Lonavala is from June to September when the surroundings turn into a natural paradise.
If you live in Maharashtra and want to spend some time in the serene setting of hill stations close by, We would suggest you head to Khandala. Khandala is one of the major hill stations in Maharashtra that welcome families on vacation, solo and group travelers, and even couples.
If you are visiting Khandala you should also visit the neighboring hill station Lonavala which together are called the twin hill stations in the Sahyadri ranges separating the Deccan Plateau from the Konkan coast.
Pop quiz: Which famous Bollywood song starring Aamir Khana and Rani Mukherjee popularised this hill station? Hint: The one we all sang the wrong lyrics to.
- How to reach Khandala?: The cheapest and fastest way to reach Pune to Khandala is by road. Bus run frequently and takes about 40 minutes to reach Khandala from Pune. You can even take the local train to Khandala from Pune, the nearest railway station is the Lonavala Railway Station.
- Why is Khandala famous?: Khandala is a popular hiking destination due to its proximity to major cities. The nearby peak of Duke’s Nose, a massive rock formation is famous for hiking and its picturesque location. You can also try its famous Chiki, which is popular both in Lonavala and Khandala.
- What is the best time to visit Khandala?: The best time to visit Khandala is from June to September, during the monsoon season.
Durshet is one of the best hill stations near Pune city for adventure-seeking tourists. It is situated on the banks of the Amba River and represents the best of Maharashtra’s rustic village life. Durshet’s mystical outlook entices tourists with its charm and beauty.
Durshet is brimming with adventure sports like trekking, zip-lining, rappelling, and river rafting, so explorers make a note of Durshet.
- How to reach Durshet?: Durshet is a short drive from Pune. However, you can also choose to travel by train. Durshet is 18 kilometers from the nearest station, Khopoli.
- Why is Durshet famous?: Durshet is an upcoming hill station near Pune. This stunning village near Khopoli is becoming increasingly popular among trekkers, nature lovers, history buffs, bikers, and adventure seekers.
- What is the best time to visit Durshet?: The best time to visit Durshet is from September to February, during the winter months. This is the best time to visit Durshet and engage in outdoor activities.
Hill Stations Near Pune Within 200 km
Rajmachi one of the best hill station is located in Maharashtra’s Konkan region, in the Sahyadri mountain range.
Rajmachi is well-known for its historical fortress, which has two fortified peaks – Shrivardhan and Manaranjan forts – and is located near the two well-known hills of Lonavala and Khandala.
Rajmachi is mainly known for its trek. The trek to Rajmachi is simple. However, trekking during the monsoon season is the most adventurous and difficult but we ensure you the view from the top will be worth your while.
- How to reach Rajmachi?: The best way to reach Rajmachi from Pune is by train. The nearest railway station to the Rajmachi Fort is Lonavala. Lonavala railway. After reaching Lonavala station, you can take a taxi or a private cab to Rajmachi.
- Why is Rajmachi famous?: Rajmachi is well-known for its historical fortress, which has two fortified peaks – Shrivardhan and Manaranjan forts located near the two well-known hills of Lonavala and Khandala.
- What is the best time to visit Rajmachi?: The months of June to September are ideal for visiting Rajmachi because of the monsoon season.
If you want to refresh your mind in a hill station that is less than 100 kilometers from Pune, make a note of Karjat. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city is this quaint hill station near Pune providing hypnotic views of the lush green valleys and surrounding mountains.
Karjat is a lush greenery stretch with sparkling waterfalls, nature trails, and several historical sites. Trekking in the unexplored parts of Karjat will be the perfect way to unwind over the weekends. It has many nature trails amidst luscious emerald surroundings.
- How to reach Karjat?: To get from Pune to Karjat, take the Mumbai Pune Expressway to Aundh – Baner and then to Khopoli. From Khopoli, take the Karjat Khopoli Road towards Talawali – Nangurle – Karjat. To travel by train, you can take the train to Jinti Road and then a taxi to Karjat.
- Why is Karjat famous?: Karjat is a small hill station located near Pune. The town is well-known for its breathtaking Ulhas Valley, caves, beautiful weather, and trekking. Karjat is also famous for its take on Maharashtrian food, especially Vada Pav. As Karjat is located halfway between Mumbai and Pune, and many local trains stop here frequently and it is a quick takeaway food.
- What is the best time to visit Karjat?: Monsoon is the best time to visit the beautiful hill station of Karjat
Panchgani is one of the most beautiful hill stations in West India for weekend getaways. It is a popular tourist destination for Mumbai residents and Pune residents Popular for its serene location nestled in the Western Ghats.
It is most visited in the summer as Panchgani is an ideal summer vacation destination in Maharashtra due to its unparalleled scenic beauty, tranquil environment, and pleasant weather.
- How to reach Panchgani?: The quickest way to get from Pune to Panchgani is by bus, which takes approximately 2 hours. The road distance between Pune and Panchgani is 101 kilometers. You can even take an overnight luxury bus from Pune to Panchgani.
- Why is Panchgani famous?: Panchgani is a popular hill station after Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra, India. It is famous for the Table Land, a massive volcanic plateau. Lookouts such as Sydney Point and Parsi Point provide views of Dhom Dam Lake and Kamalgad Fort, which was used as a prison by the British in the early 1800s.
- What is the best time to visit Panchgani?: The winters and the beginning of summer are the best times to visit Panchgani. The temperature remains pleasant and ideal for sightseeing.
Tapola also known as the “Mini Kashmir” of Maharashtra is one of the most mesmerizing scenic hill stations near Pune city. Tapola is home to the magnificent lake – Shivsagar, enchanting hills, and the Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary.
It is known for its simplistic beauty and is the best hill station near Pune for tackling the fierce summer months.
Give yourself a perfect weekend getaway retreat at Tapola in Mahabaleshwar. Tapola village is a picturesque location where tourists can relax, unwind, and find peace of mind.
- How to reach Tapola?: Pune is within driving distance of Tapola. To reach Tapola, you have to first reach Mahabaleshwar. After arriving in Mahabaleshwar, turn left and proceed to ‘Aaram Chowk,’ from where you can travel down the hill road to Tapola.
- Why is Tapola famous?: Tapola is known as “Mini Kashmir” because of the stunning view of the Koyana Dam provided by the Sahyadri Hills and the village’s location at the confluence of the Koyana and Solshi rivers.
- What is the best time to visit Tapola?: The best time to visit this destination and enjoy the surreal beauty of nature is from July to September during the flowering season.
This next hill Station needs no introduction because any popular hill station near Pune would be incomplete without it. We are talking about Satara elevated at an altitude of 3,500 ft from sea level is a beautiful hill station in Maharashtra. This hill station is also a famous historic site of the Maratha Kingdom founded in the 16th century. Satara is well-known as the best place for backpackers on a solo expedition near Pune.
You should plan a weekend trip to Satara from Pune as it is truly a traveler’s paradise, a hill station near Pune rich in historical wonders, fantastic architecture, adventure sports, and scenic natural attractions.
- How to reach Satara?: There are five options for getting from Pune to Satara. It is by bus, train, rideshare, taxi, or car. The quickest way to get from Pune to Satara is however by train, which takes 2h 50m. By road, traveling in a bus from Pune to Satara takes 2 hours to reach Satara. Satara is well connected to all major cities, including Pune, by train and road so one won’t face any difficulties in reaching Satara.
- Why is Satara famous?: Satara is famous for its hill station, Wai. Wai is a town in Maharashtra’s Satara district, located on the Krishna River. A trip to the hill stations of Maharashtra would be incomplete without visiting Wai Hill Station.
- What is the best time to visit Satara?: The best time to visit Satara is just after the monsoon season, which is usually in late August or early September.
Kaas Plataeau is another famous hill station near Pune located in the Satara District. It is a wildflower wonderland and is one of UNESCO’s recognized sites nestling in the Western Ghats. Since it is made from volcanic rocks, the land is extremely fertile and rich.
Kaas plateau is a popular tourist destination, especially in the months following monsoon, when the orchids are in full bloom for 3-4 weeks.
- How to reach Kaas Plateau?: If you’re interested in seeing the Milky Way and photographing star trails, you can likely go camping.
- Why is Kaas Plateau famous?: Kaas Plateau is Maharashtra’s valley of flowers. It is also a popular tourist destination as well as a hill station for people visiting from Mahabaleshwar and Satara.
- What is the best time to visit Pawna Lake?: The best time to visit Kas is during the monsoon season, which lasts from July to September. During the season, the plateau is covered with lovely colors of wild and rare flowers.
Matheran is the smallest and most popular Hill Station near Pune. The reason for its unceasing popularity is that this small hill station has totally rejected the use of automobiles. Tourists enjoy exploring on foot and horseback rides. Come here to unwind from your hectic schedule and spend time surrounded by nature.
Matheran is a trekker’s paradise, as well as perfect for those who are a lover of sunsets and adventure sports.
People from all over Maharashtra looking for a quiet time surrounded by nature prefer to go to Matheran over the weekends
- How to reach Matheran?: Matheran can be reached via Mumbai-Pune Highway and Karjat. State transport buses from Mumbai, Pune, and Panvel run regularly to Matheran. Buses can be availed till Neral. From there toy train is available to Matheran.
- Why is Matheran famous?: Matheran is an eco-sensitive region that is the only automobile-free hill station in Asia.
- What is the best time to visit Matheran?: Though Matheran has a pleasant climate throughout the year, the best time to visit is between October and May
Malshej Ghat is a popular hill station for trekkers and adventure seekers. Serene mountains, tranquil lakes, and waterfalls add to some of the best views one can have while trekking on this mountain pass. Furthermore, the area is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna.
Malshej Ghat is also known for its historic forts, in addition to its wildlife. Shivneri Fort, the birthplace of the legendary king Shivaji is a popular point of tourism.
- How to reach Malshej Ghat?: By road, the distance from Mumbai to Malshej Ghat is 118 kilometers from Pune. Roads connect Kalyan and Karjat to Malshej Ghat. Many State Transport buses run through Malshej Ghat from Kalyan. Malshej Ghat is also well served by State Transport (ST) buses from Mumbai and Pune.
- Why is Malshej Ghat famous?: Malshej Ghat is a beautiful hill station popular among hikers, trekkers, and nature lovers. Waterfall rappelling in Malshej Ghat is highly recommended, as is a trek to Ajoba Fort to take in the breathtaking views of the Western Ghats.
- What is the best time to visit Malshej Ghat?: Both Monsoon and Winters are favorable to visiting Malshej Ghat. Each season has its own charm thus making Malshej Ghat an all-yearly tourist attraction.
Ratanwadi is one of the best hill stations near Pune city which is less than 200 kilometers away. It is dotted with scenic green vistas, historic forts, and ancient Hindu temples. The scenery in this small hillside village will take your breath away! Several man-made attractions, such as Ratangad Fort, can be found within the village.
If you are planning a trip to Ratanwadi, it is a given that your camera reel will be filled with the best of rustic life photographs. It is a delight for campers and trekkers.
- How to reach Ratanwadi?: To reach Ratanwadi from Pune you can choose to travel by train as it is the fastest and easiest way to reach. A train from Pune to Ratanwadi takes about 5 hours, passing through Kalyan Jn, Kalyan, Shahad, and Kasara.
- Why is Ratanwadi famous?: Ratanwadi is a village in Maharashtra near Bhandardara on the Kalsubai peak. It is home to the well-known Ratangad fort and the highly regarded Shiva temple Amruteshwar Temple. This temple dates back over 1200 years.
- What is the best time to visit Ratanwadi?: Ratanwadi is most visited during the months of October and December. Except for the rainy season, there is a crowd all year.
Mahabaleshwar is not only one of Maharashtra’s top hill stations near Pune city it is also one of India’s top hill stations. Mahabaleshwar is famous for its spicy cuisine, fiery curries, and amazing sights. Mahabaleshwar is easily accessible via a well-connected road network from Mumbai, Pune, and other major Maharashtra cities.
Mahabaleshwar’s main attraction is the Venna Lake which is surrounded by trees on both sides and attracts a large tourist population. If you are thinking of visiting Mahabaleshwar there are many accommodation options with budget hotels offering a panoramic view of the mountains.
- How to reach Mahabaleshwar?: The road distance between Pune and Mahabaleshwar is approximately 117 kilometers. Traveling by road from Pune to Mahabaleshwar is the most fun way to reach. It is also well connected by rail, The nearest railway station to Mahabaleshwar is Wathar, which is 60 kilometers away.
- Why is Mahabaleshwar famous?: Mahabaleshwar is a popular hill station near Pune well-known for its strawberries. Do make it a mental note to visit the strawberry farms in Mahabaleshwar to get a chance to pick fresh strawberries and raspberries.
- What is the best time to visit Mahabaleshwar?: The Peak Season to visit Mahabaleshwar is during the winter months from the months of December to February.
Stay Updated! Join Now
And just like that, we have reached the end of the article. These 15 hill stations near Pune are the most well-known hill stations in the whole of Maharashtra. If you are looking for a break from your daily routine, Visiting even one of these hill stations near Pune city over the weekend will do the trick. Happy Traveling!
You may also like Best Kayaking spots in Pune.
FAQs ( Frequently Asked Questions)
Lonavala is one of the most well-known hill stations near Mumbai; it would be an exaggeration to say that Lonavala is a favorite destination for residents of Mumbai and Pune.
Yes, Pune is surrounded by numerous hills, waterfalls, and scenic travel destinations. Lonavala is one of the most popular hill stations within 100 kilometers of Pune. In fact, a list of hill stations near Pune would be incomplete without mentioning Lonavala. It is the most visited hill station near Pune, located between the West Coast and the Deccan Plateau.
Amboli is a small but beautiful hill station that is popular for catching some of the most breathtaking views from the hilltop. Amboli has a very cold climate and is an ideal summer destination in Maharashtra.
Mahabaleshwar, Located in the Satara district of Maharashtra, around 4440 meters above sea level is one of the most popular hill stations near Pune.
Panchgani, one of the most popular places to visit near Pune within 100 kilometers, is a hill station known for its picturesque views of striking waterfalls and lakes.
Kihim is the closest beach to Pune and is popular with both tourists and locals looking for a relaxing weekend getaway. If you want to spend a weekend relaxing by the emerald green water then you should visit Kihim Beach.