Kolhapur a small city situated on the banks of Panchganga. Kolhapur, which was previously called Kuntal lies in the foothills of the Sahyadri hills in Maharashtra. You must surely plan to visit these places to visit near kolhapur.
The weather here is generally pleasant and the city is also known for its gardens, temples, and palaces. If you are planning a vacation, consider these nice places to visit near Kolhapur.
10 Great Places To Visit Near Kolhapur!
Places To Visit Near Kolhapur Within 50 km
A well-known fort is the hill station of Panhala, where the great king Shivaji is said to have spent 500 days. This place is also very popular among tourists. A prominent Maratha artifact, there is a 50 km long trek to the fort, which is moderately difficult to attempt. Panhala is just great for a one day trip near Kolhapur.
- How To Reach Panhala Fort? You can take a flight from your city to Kolhapur airport which is the nearest airport to the Fort and just 35 km from it. After that you can take a train from the Kolhapur Railway station is the nearest railway station which is 21 km away from the Fort. Alternatively you can take a bus from Kolhapur Central Bus Stand to the Fort as the distance is only 22 km.
- What Is Panhala Fort Famous For? The Panhala fort is famous for having been the King Shivaji’s Maratha state capital before the British took over. It is is also very popular with trekkers.
- Places To Visit Near Panhala Fort: Jyotiba Temple and Rankala Lake
- Best Time To Visit Panhala Fort: During the rainy months, i.e. June- September, is the best time to visit the Fort, because the Fog makes it appear even more beautiful. Summer is not a good time to visit as it is hot and humid.
The Jyotiba Temple is a great place for a one day trip near Kolhapur. Just 21 km away from Kolhapur, it is near Ratnagiri. This temple is said to be one of the 12 Jyotirlingas and is also known as Wadi Nath or Kedarnath. It is dedicated to Joytiba, and is just wonderful for a one day trip near Kolhapur.
- How To Reach Jyotiba Temple? You can also take a flight from your city to Kolhapur Airport, which is just 11 km from the temple. Then you can find either Kolhapur Bus Stand or Railway Station.From Jyotiba Temple to Kolhapur Bus Stand it takes 25 mins to reach as it is only about 21 km away from the temple. Also if you prefer to travel by train, you can travel by either auto or car from the Kolhapur Railway station which is about 26 km away from the temple.
- What Is Jyotiba Temple Famous For? Jyotiba Temple is known for the grand fair it conducts during “Chaitra Poornima’. Kolhapur temple, dedicated to Jyotiba is also known for being a renowned Hindu pilgrimage center.
- Places To Visit Near Jyotiba Temple: Shalini Palace and Rankala Lake
- Best Time To Visit Jyotiba Temple: December -January and July-September are the best times to visit this place.
The Beautiful city of Sangli, on the banks of the Krishna river in Maharashtra, is one of the nice places to visit near Kolhapur, just 46 km away. Also known as Turmeric City, owing to the large quantities of turmeric production, Sangli also has the highest number of sugar factories.
Apart from that the fairly large city of Sangli, is known for the Sagareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, Dandoba Hill Forest Preserve, Shri Dutta Mandir, Audumbar, and Meerasaheb Darga, Miraj. It is also said to be the birthplace of Marathi Drama.
- How To Reach Sangli? The nearest airport to Sangli is Kohlapur Airport, which is 40 km away from Sangli, if you want to catch a plane. Also you can take a train from your city to Sangli Railway Station or a bus to the Sangli Bus Stand which are both less than 50 km away from Kohlapur.
- What Is Sangli Famous For? Sangli is not only known for turmeric spice, sugar factories, and Marathi Drama as mentioned above. Sangli, which was previously called Sahagalli or ‘six lanes’ is also known for Chandoli National Park, SFC Mega Mall, Ganpati Temple and Hareepur Sangam. You can also try Sangli’s tasty snack ‘Bharleli Wangi’ (brinjal which is stuffed, along with Bhakri)
- Places To Visit Near Sangli: Amboli, Chiplun, and Panchgani
- Best Time To Visit Sangli: March through October is the best time of the year to visit Sangli.
Amboli, which is one of the hill stations near Kolhapur, lies on the south Konkan coast of Maharashtra. It is just one of the right places to visit near Kolhapur in Monsoon since it is just around 50 km away.
This beautiful hill station receives the highest rainfall in the state of Maharashtra and gets lots of visitors from the surrounding Belgaum and Goa during this time.
Some of the sights of Amboli include the Madhavgad Fort, Amboli Falls, Hiranya Keshi Temple, Shirgaonkar Point, Nangarta Falls, and Durg Dhakoba Trek. Amboli is perfect for a one-day trip near Kolhapur.
- How To Reach Amboli? ***Dabolim Airport which is the closest airport is 57 km away,
- What Is Amboli Famous For? Amboli gets lots of visitors from Belgaum and Goa. Apart from the sights included in the list above, you will also enjoy Amboli’s Malvani dishes as well as the Konkani influence such as fish-fry and juice of kokum.
- Places To Visit Near Amboli: Amba Ghat, and Rajmachi
- Best Time To Visit Amboli: During the Monsoon Months, i.e. May – September is the best time to visit Amboli.
People Also Read: Trekking Places Near Kolhapur
Tourist Places Near Kolhapur Within 100 kms
Amba, also called Amba Ghat is next on the list of best places to visit near Kolhapur and is only 65 km away. A trekker’s paradise Amba Ghat is one of the nice hill stations near Kolhapur. At an altitude of 3,100 feet, it is Kolhapur’s highest spot.
Amba is tranquil and serene but its made famous for bird watching, treks and jungle walks, horse rides, wildlife photography, paragliding, day and night jungle safaris, etc. Just perfect for a one day trip near Kolhapur.
- How To Reach Amba Ghat? Pune International Airport is around 260 km away from Amba Ghat. Sangameshwar Railhead is just 50 km away from Amba Ghat. Then from there you can take a bus/taxi to the ghat. Alternatively, if you want to cover the entire journey by bus, remember that Amba Ghat lies on the Ratnagiri-Kolhapur road, take a bus going in this direction. Anyways, the nearest bus stand which is in Kolhapur is only 1 km distance from the ghat.
- What Is Amba Ghat Famous For? Apart from all the items listed above, Amba Ghat is famous for having been a Maratha stronghold, and also for its beautiful views!
- Places to visit near Amba Ghat: Panhala Fort and Ratnagiri
- Best Time To Visit Amba Ghat: Amba has pleasant weather to visit all around the year
Next is the hill station known as Rajmachi on the list of best places to visit near Kolhapur, 100 km away. It lies in the in the Sahyadri Ranges of the Konkan region. Rajmachi is one of the most beautiful hill stations near Kolhapur!
It witnessed the reign of many kings such as Shivaji and Shahu Maharaj, the British Empire. Rajmachi is also famous for hiking, and trekking. This hill station is one of the best places to visit near Kolhapur in Monsoon because they make it more enticing.
Another of the things to do in Kolhapur include sightseeing. The Shrivardhan fort and Manaranjan fort are two of the famous forts in Rajmachi. Other than that, there is the Rajmachi Fort, which trekkers like.
The other notable places in Rajmachi include the Kalbhairavnath Temple. Some of the other historical monuments to be found in Rajmachi include gateways, ramparts, walls, housing area, a 200-year-old reservoir, along with some ancient Shiva temples and idols.
- How To Reach Rajmachi? You can take a plane from your city to Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (Mumbai) which is the nearest airport to Rajmachi, and is about 83 km away. Alternatively, take a train to Lonavla Railway Station which is the nearest railway station and is 10 km away from Rajmachi. Again taking a bus from Pune or Mumbai to Lonavla Bus Stand is easier, being the nearest bus stand to the Fort. Just remember to reach Undhewadi as it is a starting point for the fort trek.
- What Is Rajmachi Famous For? Rajmachi is a well-known for the things mentioned above and more. It is also famous for Rajmachi Garden in Khandala.
- Places To Visit Near Rajmachi: Panchgani, Ratnagiri
- Best Time To Visit Rajmachi: Monsoon i.e. the months of June – August are the best time of the year to visit this beautiful place.
Places To Visit Near Kolhapur Within 150 km
Ratnagiri, a famous port town of Maharashtra, is probably also one of the best places to visit near Kolhapur in November and is only 132 km away. Winters are the best time to visit the place, because of the water all around and the high amounts of precipitation in summer.
Beautiful Ratnagiri has many photographable sights like creeks, hills, forests, rivers, waterfalls, ancient monuments, beaches, and last but not least Alphonso Mangoes that you can enjoy.
Apart from the natural beauty of the place and its laid-back beaches, the highlights of Ratnagiri include Jaigad Fort & Lighthouse, Thibaw Palace, Svayambhu Ganpati Temple, Bhatye Beach, Tilak Ali Museum, Dhamapur Lake, Ganpatipule Beach, etc.
- How To Reach Ratnagiri? You can take a flight from your city to Ratnagiri Airport which is 12 km away. The nearest Railway Station is in Ratnagiri itself, and there are busses traveling to and from Ratnagiri.
- What Is Ratnagiri Famous For? Beautiful Ratnagiri is no less and is famous for highlights like Jaigad Fort & Lighthouse, Thibaw Palace, Svayambhu Ganpati Temple, Bhatye Beach, Tilak Ali Museum, Dhamapur Lake, Ganpatipule Beach, etc. Apart from that Ratnagiri is known for
- Places To Visit Near Ratnagiri: Mahabaleshwar, and Panchgani
- Best Time To Visit Ratnagiri: November to February are the best months of the year to visit Ratnagiri as the weather is just great during this time!
Places To Visit Near Kolhapur Within 200 km
Panchgani meaning “five hills” is next on the list of places to visit near Kolhapur and is 172 km away. Panchgani, one of the gorgeous hill stations near Kolhapur is nestled among the Sahyadri hills.
It is well known for adventure sports like camping, trekking, hiking, and paragliding, for its strawberries, beautiful orchards, and British- style architecture from colonial times. The old British summer retreat, Panchgani’s pleasant weather attracts tourists from all over.
Panchgani’s highlights include Parsi Point, Sydney Point, Dhom Dham (which is known for boating), Bhilar Waterfalls, Rajpuri Caves (a pilgrimage spot), Tableland ( which is popular for parasailing and horse-riding), Sherbaug, Harrisons Valley, etc.
- How To Reach Panchgani? Pune Airport is the nearest and is 55 m away. Pune Railhead which is 95 km away is the closest train station. Pune Station Bus Stand is about 100 km from Panchgani.
- What Is Panchgani Famous For? Panchgani the old British summer retreat is famous for adventure sports like camping, trekking, hiking, and paragliding, for its strawberries, beautiful orchards, and British- style architecture from colonial times, Parsi Point, Sydney Point, Dhom Dham (which is known for boating), Bhilar Waterfalls, Rajpuri Caves (a pilgrimage spot), Tableland ( which is popular for parasailing and horse-riding), Sherbaug, Harrisons Valley, etc. as mentioned above. Some of Panchgani’s highlights include
- Places To Visit Near Panchgani: Mahabaleshwar and Dapoli
- Best Time To Visit Panchgani: September – May is the best time to visit the beautiful hill station of Panchgani
Mahabaleshwar is a beautiful hill station that is located in the Sahyadri Ranges, just 177 km away from Kolhapur. Also called ‘Queen of the Sahyadri Hills’, Mahabaleshwar is one of the best hill stations near Kolhapur. Mahabaleshwar is known for its strawberries and raspberries!
Fine Jellies, jams, etc., are made from the same that you can take home! Mahabaleshwar is famous for its trekking opportunities, which are said to be the best in Maharashtra! Some of these treks include Tapola, Rajgarh Fort, Connaught Peak trek, and Pratapgarh Fort.
- How To Reach Mahabaleshwar? Pune airport is located at a distance of 120 km from Mahabaleshwar. The nearest railway station to Mahabaleshwar is located at Wathar which is at a distance of 60 km. The nearest bus stand is in Mahabaleshwar itself.
- What Is Mahableshwar Famous For? Mahabaleshwar is famous for its strawberries and raspberries used for making jellies and jams. Mahabaleshwar has some of the best treks in Maharashtra such as Tapola, Rajgarh Fort, Connaught Peak trek, and Pratapgarh Fort. Some other famous aspects of Mahabaleshwar include
- Places To Visit Near Mahabaleshwar: Panchgani, Lonavla
- Best Time To Visit Mahableshwar: March – June is considered the best time to visit this beautiful hill station
Dapoli, in Ratnagiri, in the south Konkan part of Maharashtra, is one of the beautiful coastal hill stations near Kolhapur, which is just 182 km away. Dapoli is known for its awesome Konkan beauty. Owing to its proximity to the Arabian Sea, Dapoli has wonderful weather throughout the year.
Some of the attractions of Dapoli include its non-commercial beaches adorned with white sand such as Ladghar, Kelshi, Savane, Karde, Murud Harnai, and Kolthare where you can partake in adventure sports with ATV bikes, banana boat rides, jet-skis, etc.
Dapoli is also known for its beautiful temples e.g. Durga Devi Temple. There are also beautiful forts such as Suvarnadurg Fort and Kanakadurga. Dapoli might just be one of the best places to visit near Kolhapur in November.
- How To Reach Dapoli? The nearest Airport is in Ratnagiri, around 140 km away.
- What Is Dapoli Famous For? Dapoli has adventure sports with ATV bikes, banana boat rides, and jet-skis, at its beautiful beaches like Ladghar, Kelshi, Savane, Karde, Murud Harnai, and Kolthare. Dapoli also has beautiful temples e.g. Durga Devi Temple and forts such as Suvarnadurg Fort and Kanakadurga.
- Places To Visit Near Dapoli: Mahabaleshwar and Goa
- Best Time To Visit Dapoli: The winter months of October – March are considered the best time to visit this coastal hill station
If you enjoyed reading this list of ‘Places To Visit Near Kolhapur’ and found it informative as well, be sure to let us know in the comments! Do you have any ideas for something that could have been included in this list? Don’t hesitate to let us know! Also, be sure to share the article with your friends!
You may also like Most Beautiful Hill Stations Near Kolhapur.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Kolhapur which is located in the south of Maharashtra has pleasant weather, and several interesting locations, what’s more, the people are very warm and welcoming.
Also called Kashi of the south, or Dakshin Kashi, the hill station of Kohlapur is indeed wonderful.
2 full days is more than enough to take in the sights and sounds and feel a connection with Kohlapur.
Kolhapur is famous for its tasty spices, non-vegetarian recipes, jaggery, wrestling, Kolhapuri chappal, and Kohlapur ‘Saaj’ which is a traditional type of necklace.
As the weather is very pleasant during the months of December to February, this is the best time to visit. During this time the temperature is around 15-30 degrees Celsius
The area of Kohlapur includes many hill stations within itself, but Kohlapur as a whole is not considered a hill station.
Kolhapur is a tier -2 city in Maharashtra that is quite small in size.
Kolhapur retails many international and domestic clothing brands such as Armani, Raymond’s of India, Hugo Boss, Banana Republic, Paul Smith, etc. Kolhapur also exports goods manufactured, by the textile industry.
Common languages spoken in Kolhapur are Hindi, Marathi, and English language.