Chandigarh, one of India’s planned cities, is the capital of Punjab and Haryana. Indeed Chandigarh is considered to be the finest example of urbanization in India. Below we discuss beautiful hill stations near Chandigarh.
Chandigarh is also blessed with natural beauty and is an escape from the hustle and bustle of daily routine life. If you are planning your next vacation? Try one of our suggestions from this list of hill stations near Chandigarh with distance.
11 Mesmerizing Hill Stations Near Chandigarh
Hill Stations Near Chandigarh Within 50 km
One of the best unexplored hill stations near Chandigarh is Parwanoo. Parwanoo, in Solan, Himachal Pradesh is located at a distance of about 36 km from Chandigarh. It is known for its fruit produce, beautiful orchards, and verdant natural beauty.
Parwanoo, an industrial city, is famous for cable car rides, hiking, and the timber trail. Beautiful Parwanoo has lush vegetation which mostly consists of Pine and Fir trees. This hill station is also known for its wonderful climate, and production of jams, jellies, pickles, and fruit juices.
- How to reach Parwanoo? You can take a flight for Chandigarh Airport which is 40 km away from Parwanoo, or a train from Kalka Railway Station which is 3 km away. Alternatively, you can take a bus from Chandigarh Inter State Bus Terminus
- What Is Parwanoo Famous For? Parwanoo is known for its fruit produce, beautiful orchards, and verdant natural beauty. The little hill station is also known for cable car rides, hiking, and the timber trail. Apart from that Parwanoo is famous for the production of jams, jellies, pickles, and fruit juices.
- Places To Visit Near Parwanoo: Bhuntar, Kalpa, and Kangra
- Best Time To Visit Parwanoo: Mar-May, Oct-Nov
Haryana’s only hill station Morni Hills, in Panchkula, is 42 km away from Chandigarh. A beautiful natural place, it was actually named after one of its erstwhile queens. Also called the Switzerland of Haryana, Morni Hill Village is a popular tourist attraction.
Trekking, Boating, jungle walks, and birdwatching are the interesting activities one can partake in here. Morni also offers beautiful Himalaya views and beautiful landscapes. Chandigarh is highly accessible owing to its proximity to major Indian cities like Punjab, Delhi, and Haryana.
- How To Reach Morni Hills: Chandigarh International Airport is 52 km away from Morni Hills, and the distance from Chandigarh Railway station to Morni Hills is 41 km. On the other hand, the distance from Panchkula Bus Stand to Morni Hills is 35 km.
- What Is Morni Hills Famous For? Also called Switzerland of Haryana, Morni is made popular by the beautiful views it gives of the Himalayas, and opportunities for Trekking, Boating, Jungle Walks, and Birdwatching.
- Places To Visit Near Morni Hills: Gurudwara Nana Sahib, and Butterfly Park
- Best Time To Visit Morni Hills: Throughout the year
Hill Stations Near Chandigarh Within 100 kms
Kasauli, in Solan, Himachal Pradesh, is famous for its orchards and colonial-style houses. Kasauli is known for the Kasauli Brewery, The Gilbert Trail, Christ Church, Sunset Point, The Mall, etc. Located in Shivalik Ranges, it is loved by tourists from India and abroad.
Trekking, nature walks, toy train rides, etc. are popular adventure activities; The pretty-as-a-postcard natural scenery makes these activities all the more enticing. Kasauli is one of the best hill stations near Chandigarh and is located just 58 km away.
- How To Reach Kasauli: The nearest Airport is Chandigarh Airport which is 25 km away from Kasauli. On the other hand, The nearest railway station is Sonwara, which is 4 km away and Parwanoo Bus Stand is 7 km from Kasauli.
- What Is Kasauli Famous For? Kasauli is famous for its verdant greenery, orchards, and colonial-style houses. Apart from that Kasauli is also famous for the Kasauli Brewery, The Gilbert Trail, Christ Church, Sunset Point, The Mall, etc. Some of the activities tourists just love to take part in here include nature walks, trekking, toy train rides, etc.
- Places To Visit Near Kasauli: Shimla and Kufri
- Best Time To Visit Kasauli: Monsoon, During the Months of July, August, and September
Solan, in Himachal Pradesh, gets its name from Shoolini Devi, who is a revered goddess of the area. Solan is 67 km away from Chandigarh. This hill station lies in the Shivalik Ranges and is a mix of gorgeous natural scenes, history, and culture.
Large mushroom plantations and the mushroom farming that takes place therein have earned this place names like “The Mushroom City of India”. Solan however is known for being one of the best tourist places near Chandigarh within 100 km.
- How To Reach Solan: Shimla Airport is just 55 km away. Kalka railway station is closest, the cities of Shimla and Chandigarh are both close to Solan and you get busses from there.
- What Is Solan Famous For? Solan is well known in India for being a mix of gorgeous natural scenes, history, art, and culture. It is also known for its extensive mushroom farming, earning it a name such as ‘Mushroom City of India”
- Places To Visit Near Solan: Kandaghat, Chail
- Best Time To Visit Solan: February, March, April, May, August, September, October, and November.
Nahan lies in the Shivalik ranges of the Himalayas. 77 km from Chandigarh, It is yet another of the best tourist places near Chandigarh within 100 kms. Nahan’s hills, plains, rivers, gardens, decadent temples, festivals, and fairs make it all the more beautiful.
Legend has it, that the hill station gets its name from a local Hindu saint, who owned a lion which means Nahar. Also, Nahan was said to be the capital of the princely state of Sirmur.
Nahan is one of the relatively unexplored hill stations near Chandigarh. Nahan is one of the hill stations near Chandigarh with snow.
- How To Reach Nahan: Closest airport is Chandigarh Airport
- What Is Nahan Famous For? Nahan is not only well known for its views of the mountains, but also for its wildlife, temples, hills, plains, rivers, gardens, decadent temples, festivals, and fairs making it one of the best hill stations near Chandigarh.
- Places To Visit Near Nahan: Renuka Lake, and Nani Tal
- Best Time To Visit Nahan: October – February (Winter)
Hill Stations Near Chandigarh Within 200 km
Chail, in the Shivalik hills, houses the world’s highest cricket stadium and is 105 km away from Chandigarh. Chail is a tranquil place, which is relatively crowd-free, compared to its neighbor Shimla, which is tourist dense.
Chail is a perfect combination of mountain views and exquisite natural scenery. It attracts many wildlife lovers and enthusiastic photographers. Chail was formerly the summer capital of the king of Patiala. This is one of the few hill stations near Chandigarh with snow.
- How To Reach Chail: The Chandigarh International Airport, is 117 km away from Chail, while the Chail bus stand is the closest bus station, and Kalka railway station is 85 km from Chail.
- What Is Chail Famous For? Chail is famous for being the erstwhile summer capital of Patiala. Other than that Chail is known for its picture-perfect mountain views and exquisite natural scenery.
- Places To Visit Near Chail: Manali and Shimla
- Best Time To Visit Chail: The entire year, other than monsoon months as there is a risk of landslides i.e. September – October and April – June
Shimla, the capital of Himachal Pradesh is famous for toy trains, ridge, and the mall. It happens to be one of the tourist places near Chandigarh within 100 kms. A popular hill station, Shimla is a sight to behold with its fir, rhododendron, cedar, and Himalayan oak trees.
Shimla is one of the small hill stations near Chandigarh. Sledding, skiing, and ice skating are some of the adventure sports tourists take part in Shimla. It is one of the lovely hill stations near Chandigarh with snow.
- How To Reach Shimla: Shimla has an airport, a railway station, and a bus stand.
- What Is Shimla Famous For? One of India’s most popular hill stations, Shimla is famous for its fir, rhododendron, cedar, and Himalayan oak trees. It is also well known for toy trains, ridge, and the mall. Shimla is also known for its adventure sports like Sledging, Skiing, and Ice Skating.
- Places To Visit Near Shimla: Chail, Solan, Kasauli
- Best Time To Visit Shimla: May – June, and December – January
Kufri is another of the best hill stations near Chandigarh which is only 128 km away. Very near Shimla, this is one of the best hill stations near Chandigarh with snow. A sought-after scenic beauty, Kufri is nestled in the Himalayas.
Kufri is famous for adventure sports like hiking, trekking, skiing, sledding, and tobogganing. Kufri Fun World and Himalayan National Park are some of the interesting places. The scenic beauty of the snow-covered hills makes it one of the best small hill stations near Chandigarh.
- How To Reach Kufri: Jubbarhatti Airport in Shimla is the nearest airport which is 15 km away. The Shimla railway station is the nearest and is 13km away. Kufri is 20km away from ISBT Bus Stand, Shimla.
- What Is Kufri Famous For? Kufri is made famous by its opportunities for hiking, trekking, skiing, sledding, and tobogganing. Kufri Fun World, and Himalayan National Park, etc. are some of the highlights. Let’s not forget the snow-covered hills and overall scenic beauty.
- Places To Visit Near Kufri: Shimla, and Chail
- Best Time To Visit Kufri: April – June, and December – February
Dehradun, the capital of Uttarakhand, is known for both business and leisure. This charming hill station, is near the foothills of the Himalayas, in the Shivalik Ranges. Dehradun has some wonderful attractions such as Chetwode Hall, Clock Tower, Tapkeshwar Temple, Robber’s Cave, and Tapovan.
Dehradun is one of the best hill stations near Chandigarh being just 166.5 km away. Apart from that some of the other exciting things about Dehradun, include its beautiful valleys and streams, great natural scenes, as well as its temples.
- How To Reach Dehradun?: Dehradun Railway Station is the closest, Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun itself is the closest airport, and Dehradun Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand.
- What Is Dehradun Famous For? Known for its immense beauty, Dehradun is filled with wonderful attractions such as Chetwode Hall, Clock Tower, Tapkeshwar Temple, Robber’s Cave, and Tapovan. The other exciting things about Dehradun, include its beautiful valleys and streams, great natural scenes, as well as its temples.
- Places To Visit Near Dehradun: Mussoorie, Dhanauti
- Best Time To Visit Dehradun: Has a favorable climate throughout the year
The Narkanda hill station is around 174 km away from Chandigarh. One of the hill stations near Chandigarh with snow, Narkanda is well-known for its scenic snow ranges, and for skiing, trekking, and other winter sports. Its cherry and apple orchards are an attraction for photographers!
Some of the sights of Narkanda are Hatu Peak, Tani Jubbar Lake, Hatu Mata Mandir, etc., Narkanda has it all – verdant greenery, opportunities for adventure, and a good dose of picture-perfect sight-seeing locales.
- How To Reach Narkanda?: Jubbarhatti airport, which is 155 km away, Kalka gauge railway station which is 125 km away, and the nearest bus stand are Narkanda Bus Stop which is in Narkanda itself.
- What Is Narkanda Famous For? Narkanda is well-known for its scenic snow ranges, and for skiing, trekking, and other winter sports. It is also known for highly photographable cherry and apple orchards, Narkanda is Hatu Peak, Tani Jubbar Lake, Hatu Mata Mandir, etc.
- Places To Visit Near Narkanda: Kufri, and Shimla
- Best Time To Visit Narkanda: Throughout the year.
Around 196 km away from Chandigarh, Mussoorie is another of the best hill stations near Chandigarh. Also called ‘Queen Of The Hill-Stations’, Lal Tibba, Kempty Falls, Company Garden, Jharipani Falls, Cloud’s End, Gun Hill Point, Sir George Everest’s House, and Mussoorie Lake are some of the sights.
Mussoorie, which is one of the premier hill stations in India, has lots of adventure sports like hiking, trekking, rock climbing, rappelling, paragliding, etc. Mussoorie’s sheer beauty and the wonderful climate will make you want to visit this place in a hurry!
- How To Reach Mussoorie?: Jollygrant Airport, Dehradun is 127 km away from Chandigarh, Dehradun Railway Stations is 171 km away from Chandigarh, and there is a Bus Stand in Mussoorie itself.
- What Is Mussoorie Famous For? Mussorie has some of the best scenic views and is famous for the mall road. Couples plan to visit this place for their honeymoon.
- Places To Visit Near Mussoorie: Rishikesh, Dehradun.
- Best Time To Visit Mussoorie: March and June are Mussoorie’s busiest times of the year.
I hope you enjoyed reading this list of hill stations near Chandigarh. Hill stations are usually gifted with great natural resources and are a great sight to behold. You can truly enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience here. If you liked any of the hill stations mentioned in this list, do tell us in the comments! Be sure to share it with your friends!
You may also like 15 Hill Stations Near Ludhiana.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Chandigarh is famous because it is one of the best examples of modern architecture and urban planning in India in the Twentieth Century. Chandigarh was also considered the dream city of India’s first prime minister, Sh. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Chandigarh shares a border with Punjab to the west and the south. It also shares a border with Haryana to the east.
Chandigarh is considered a safe city in India for women folk.
Chandigarh is called “The City Beautiful” as it is the only city in the world with beautiful monumental architecture that is positioned right at the side of Art Installations that are whimsical and fantastical too! Chandigarh’s public gardens have around 800 kinds of roses. There is also a still lake that has access to very vast boulevards with trees lining them.
Apparently, Chandigarh has the highest number of rich people in the country living there, according to a survey done by NFHS (National Family Health Survey 5 ). Delhi and Punjab follow closely.
The best time to visit Chandigarh is from August to November.