The Beautiful Old City of Azamgarh is also very famous for its manufacture of world-renowned Banarasi-style Sarees. Other than that, Azamgarh is famous for its Black Pottery. Read on to find some suggestions for famous places in Azamgarh to visit. Let’s take a look at tourist places in Azamgarh.
Famous Places In the Beautiful City Of Azamgarh To Visit!
Among the most famous places in Azamgarh, we have the Bhanwarnath Temple which is located on Azamgarh’s Western end. While the foundations of this temple were first laid in the year 1951, the construction was finally completed in the year 1958. It is one of the best tourist places in Azamgarh to visit.
Today all the facilities are made available for its visitors. The legend behind this temple of Azamgarh is that of the Hindu holy man Bhannathnath. There is a legend that he would meditate on the Shiva statue in the area while keeping an eye on his cow grazing on the other side.
This is why the area was named Bhannathnath after him later on as the legend claims. Even though there are seemingly no actual records about the establishment of the Bhanwarnath temple, it is venerated by the Hindus during the festival of Mahashivratri. Baba Bannanath as he is called by the locals is also venerated during this time, and this is considered an auspicious event for the people of the city of Azamgarh. Thus we can say that this is an Azamgarh famous temple
- Distance From Azamgarh: 2.6 km
- How To Reach: By train, by road. Azamgarh Railway station (10 km) Azamgarh airport is the closest airport, and New Azamgarh Bus Station is the closest bus station.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Gyan Pratap Singh Shopping Mall, and Sakhambadi
Yet another Azamgarh famous place to visit is Mubarakpur. Mubarakpur was previously called Qasimabad has a very interesting story behind it. The story behind the name change of this beautiful place is that this place was declining, and stagnating. A king called Raja Mubarak, a Sufi ruler from a thriving place called Manikpurkara restored it to great glory.
Mubarakpur is famous all over the country for the manufacture of Benarasi-style Sarees which are usually exported from India to other parts of the world. Mubarakpur has renowned ancient architecture such as the Thakurji temple and the Raja Sahib Mosque beautify the place, making it one of the top 10 places in Azamgarh.
- Distance From Azamgarh: 60 km
- How To Reach: By train, by plane, or by road, the nearest railway station is Sathiaon, Azamgarh airport is the closest airport, and the closest bus stand is Mubarakpur Bus Stop.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Villages of Udhara, Sakoorpur, and Jamukha
Yet another place in the list of famous places to see in the beautiful city of Azamgarh is Mehnagar. Some of the places of interest in Mehnagar, that draw many visitors are the Fort of the great King Haribans as well as a beautiful resplendent pond that lies in its vicinity. Every year a religious fair is held on the Madilaha ponds in the beautiful ancient city of Azamgarh that beckons a large number of visitors. It is one of the best tourist places in Azamgarh to visit.
- Distance From Azamgarh: 27.1 km
- How To Reach: By train, by road, by plane. The Nearest railway station is at Varvala, Azamgarh airport is the closest airport, and Mehnagar Bus Station
- Nearby Places To Visit: Mehnagar Fort, Daulat Ibrahim Tomb
The region called Durvasa lies on the Sangam of the Mahjuee and Ton rivers. The Durvasa Rishi ashram is one of the well-known places in Durvasa. Many people visit Durvasa in Azamgarh from all over the country. People from far and wide come to learn more about the annual fair that is held just to celebrate the festival of Kartik Purnima. Durvasa is located 6 km north of Phulpur tehsil headquarters of the city of Azamgarh.
- Distance From Azamgarh: 32 km
- How To Reach: By train, by road, by plane. Khorasan Rd is the nearest railway station, Azamgarh airport is the closest airport, Satwahiya Bus stop is the closest bus stand.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Villages of Karimpur, Musha Jalalpur, and Toba
Dattatreya is yet another of the famous places in Azamgarh. Dattatreya can be found on the banks of the Kunwar and Tons rivers’ Sangam. One of the reasons why Dattatreya is well known is for the Dattatreya Rishi Ashram which is visited in the name of peace and calm. Also on the Hindu festival of Shivratri, a fair is held here every year. Dattatreya is located 3 km southwest of the Nizamabad tehsil headquarters of the city of Azamgarh.
- Distance From Azamgarh: 18.5 km
- How To Reach: By train, by road, by plane. The nearest railway station is at Varvala, Azamgarh airport is the closest airport, and Dattatreya Temple Bus Stop
- Nearby Places To Visit: Dattatreya Dham, Dattatreya Mandir (Both Hindu Temples)
Govindsaheb is famous because every year on the occasion of Agahan Sudi Dashmi a fair is held there. A large number of Buffaloes, cows, bulls, horses, camels, elephants, and donkeys are usually bought and sold at this illustrious fair, which is usually a month long. The area of Govindsaheb is located 6 km away from the Autraulia block of the city of Azamgarh. The Mahatma Govind Saheb idol is worshipped here.
- Distance From Azamgarh: 47 km
- How To Reach: By train, by road, by plane. Varvala is the closest railway station, Azamgarh airport is the closest airport, and Azamgarh bus stand is the nearest bus stand.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Govind Saheb Mela, Smart Kisan Nursery, and Agri Farm
Avantikapuri is yet another place in the city of Azamgarh that is one of the top 10 places in Azamgarh. One of the things that makes this particular place famous is the ancient legend of a ‘Yagya’ held by a king called Janmejai. This king thought that by doing so, he could rid the planet of all the snakes that ever existed. It is one of the best tourist places in Azamgarh to visit.
Other than that AvantikaPuri is well known for both its temples and its ponds. It is well known that the People of the city of Azamgarh love to bathe in these ponds. AvantikaPuri is located in the Muhammedpur development block of the great city of Azamgarh.
- Distance From Azamgarh: 19.3 km
- How To Reach: By train, by road, by plane. The closest railway station is at Varvala, Azamgarh airport is the closest airport, and Azamgarh bus stand is the nearest bus stand.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Awnitkapuri Pond, Shri Ram Agro Farm
We hope you enjoyed reading this article about 7 Famous Tourist Places in Azamgarh. If you have any ideas, feel free to add your comments below, and don’t forget to share the article with your friends! You may also like 15 Hill Stations Near Ludhiana.
FAQs (Frequently asked questions)
The City of Azamgarh is famous for the manufacture of Benarasi Sarees.
The city of Azamgarh gets its name from the erstwhile ruler known as Azam who was a great King and the son of Vikramajit.
The old name of the City of Azamgarh is Qasimabad.
Azamgarh is basically situated in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
Azamgarh is a city, not a village
The Tamsa river runs in Azamgarh, and this great city lies on its banks.
The city of Azamgarh was called one of the 250 most backward districts in the country in the year 2006.