Explore the untouched beauty of Arunachal Pradesh with our recommendations for places to visit in Arunachal Pradesh, a hidden gem nestled in the lap of the Himalayas. Known as the “Land of the Dawn-Lit Mountains,” this enchanting state offers a myriad of breathtaking landscapes, vibrant cultures, and diverse wildlife.
From the majestic Tawang Monastery to the serene valleys of Bomdila and the pristine lakes of Madhuri and Sela Pass, Arunachal Pradesh beckons adventurers, nature lovers, and spiritual seekers alike. Discover and immerse yourself in the rich tapestry of this unexplored paradise.
Top 10 Tourists Places In Arunachal Pradesh
From the snow-capped peaks of Tawang to the mystical valleys of Ziro, and the pristine lakes of Sela Pass to the ancient monasteries of Bomdila, Arunachal Pradesh offers a diverse range of experiences for every traveler. Join us to explore the top 10 tourist places in Arunachal Pradesh:
Tawang is one of the best places to visit in Arunachal Pradesh. It is a stunning town situated at an impressive height of around 3048 meters. It is renowned for its remarkable monasteries and holds special significance as the birthplace of Tsangyang Gyatso, the 6th Dalai Lama.
This picturesque destination, also known as Dawang, offers breathtaking scenery that will captivate any traveler. But what truly sets Tawang apart is its deep connection with Buddhist monks. It is a sanctuary for monasteries, with the Tawang Monastery being the most famous and highly revered by Buddhists.
- How to Reach Tawang? Tawang does not have direct railway connectivity due to its remote location. The closest railway station to Tawang is Tezpur Railway Station, approximately 350 kilometers away. You can hire a taxi from Tezpur or take a shared cab to reach Tawang.
- What is Tawang Famous For? Tawang is famous for its important monasteries, including the revered Tawang Monastery, as well as its natural beauty and unique cuisine.
- Best Time to Visit Tawang: The best time to visit Tawang is from September to March when the weather is pleasant and the roads are accessible.
Namdapha National Park
Namdapha National Park in Arunachal Pradesh is the third largest national park in India, covering a vast area. It is a paradise for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers. The park’s altitude ranges from 200 meters to 4500 meters, creating a diverse habitat for a wide range of rare and endangered plant and animal species.
Here, you can spot magnificent creatures like the Snow Leopard, Clouded Leopard, Leopard, and Tiger. Namdapha National Park, situated in the lower Eastern Himalayan belt, offers breathtaking views of nearby peaks. It is an ideal destination for forest trekking, hiking, and simply unwinding amidst nature’s beauty and a great place to visit in Arunachal Pradesh in December.
- How to Reach Namdapha National Park? The closest railway station to Namdapha National Park is Tinsukia Railway Station, located in Tinsukia town (Assam). From Tinsukia, you can hire a taxi or take a shared cab to reach Miao, which is the gateway to Namdapha National Park.
- What is Namdapha National Park Famous For? Namdapha National Park is famous for its rich biodiversity, including rare and endangered animal and plant species, such as the Snow Leopard and Clouded Leopard.
- Best Time to Visit Namdapha National Park: The best time to visit Namdapha National Park is from November to April when the weather is pleasant and wildlife sightings are more likely.
Sela Pass is a breathtaking gateway to Arunachal Pradesh, nestled in the majestic Himalayan. This stunning pass holds immense importance as it connects the Tawang district with the rest of the country. Adorned with snow-covered landscapes, Sela Pass offers mesmerizing views of the eastern Himalayan range.
It is also home to the enchanting Sela Lake, adding to its natural charm. To visit this sensitive region, an inner line permit is required. Standing at an altitude of 4170 meters, Sela Pass serves as a captivating introduction to the treasures that await in Arunachal Pradesh.
- How to Reach Sela Pass? Sela Pass is just 72 Km before the Tawang. It can be reached by road from Route 13 (Tawang).
- What is Sela Pass Famous For? Sela Pass is famous for its breathtaking views of the snow-covered Himalayan range and the enchanting Sela Lake. It is also a vital route connecting Tawang with the rest of the country.
- Best Time to Visit Sela Pass: No matter the season, this destination welcomes you with open arms throughout the year.
Nestled between the snow-capped Himalayas and the fertile plains of the Brahmaputra River, Itanagar is a natural paradise. Recently opened to tourists, the city boasts a rich heritage and tribal culture that has stood the test of time.
Must-visit attractions include the ancient Ita-Fort from the 15th century, the legendary Ganga Lake (Gyakar Sinyi), and the revered Buddha Vihar consecrated by the Dalai Lama. With a pleasant climate year-round, Itanagar is a delightful destination for travelers.
- How to Reach Itanagar? The closest railway station to Itanagar, the capital city of Arunachal Pradesh, is Naharlagun Railway Station. It is located approximately 15 kilometers away from Itanagar and serves as a convenient entry point for you.
- What is Itanagar Famous For? Itanagar is famous for its rich heritage, tribal culture, and attractions such as the 15th-century Ita-Fort, Ganga Lake (Gyakar Sinyi), and Buddha Vihar. It offers a blend of natural beauty and historical significance.
- Best Time to Visit Itanagar: The best time to visit Itanagar is from October to April when the weather is pleasant and favorable for outdoor exploration.
Bomdila, a beautiful town nestled under the majestic Himalayas, offers everything one desires in such a picturesque setting. Besides breathtaking scenery and panoramic views, the town enjoys a pleasant climate and cool breeze. Visitors can explore numerous attractions, including Buddhist and Hindu temples, apple orchards, and The Eagle Nest Wildlife Sanctuary.
The region also showcases local arts, and crafts, and offers opportunities for trekking and hiking amidst the captivating terrain. With its proximity to the Himalayas, Bomdila presents enchanting sights that leave viewers spellbound.
- How to Reach Bomdila? The closest railway station to Bomdila is Rangapara Railway Station, located approximately 145 km away. From there, you have the option to travel to Bomdila by taxi or bus.
- What is Bomdila Famous For? Bomdila is famous for its scenic beauty, orchards, wildlife sanctuaries, and a blend of Buddhist and Hindu temples. It offers opportunities for trekking, hiking, and exploring the local arts and crafts.
- Best Time to Visit Bomdila: The best time to visit Bomdila is from April to October when the weather is pleasant, and the natural beauty is at its best.
Roing, nestled amidst snow-capped mountains, deep gorges, and cascading rivers, is an incredibly attractive destination for tourists. This natural haven offers breathtaking landscapes, tranquil lakes, and numerous waterfalls, captivating nature enthusiasts.
The town also holds historical significance with attractions like the Bhishmaknagar Fort and Nehru Udyan. However, the Mayudia Pass steals the spotlight with its year-round snow coverage, adding to the allure of this remarkable place in Arunachal Pradesh.
- How to Reach Roing? To reach Roing, the nearest railway station is Dibrugarh Town Railway Station in Tinsukia, situated just 125 km away. From there, you can easily access Roing.
- What is Roing Famous For? Roing is famous for its picturesque landscapes, including snow-capped mountains, deep gorges, waterfalls, archaeological sites, and serene lakes. It offers a rich blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage.
- Best Time to Visit Roing: The best time to visit Roing is from October to February when the weather is pleasant, and the natural attractions can be enjoyed to the fullest.
Anini, a hidden gem in the misty air, offers unparalleled tranquility and untouched beauty. Located in the enchanting Dibang Valley district, this unexplored place in Arunachal Pradesh is a haven for those seeking calmness. Nestled amidst clouds, Anini’s pleasant weather and breathtaking landscapes make it a paradise for tourists.
A must-visit attraction is the nearby Mehao Wildlife Sanctuary. Exploring the tribal villages in Anini provides a unique opportunity to experience their rich heritage and vibrant cultures. Some notable tribal villages include New Anaya, Hunli, and Ranli, among others. Anini promises a magical escape that will soothe your soul to the core.
- How to Reach Anini? The nearest railway station to Anini is Tinsukia Railway Station which is well-connected to major Indian cities and many Rajdhani Trains stop here. Once you arrive at Tinsukia, you have the option to take a taxi or drive to Anini.
- What is Famous For Anini? Anini is famous for its mystical beauty, nestled in the Dibang Valley district. It is known for its pleasant weather, beautiful lakes, tribal villages, and the nearby Mehao Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Best Time to Visit Anini: The best time to visit Anini is from November to March when the weather is pleasant and suitable for exploring the natural beauty and experiencing the local culture.
Aalo, formerly known as Along, serves as the headquarters of the West Siang district in Arunachal Pradesh. Situated at the confluence of the Sipu and Yomgo rivers, this small town offers a gateway to the picturesque Mechuka Valley.
Aalo is renowned for its flourishing orange orchards and pleasant weather, making the winter season the best time to visit. Whether you seek adventure or tranquility, Aalo and its surroundings cater to both. Activities like trekking and river rafting attract adrenaline junkies, while the rocky river banks and lush jungle provide perfect trails for peaceful hikes.
- How to Reach Aalo? Murkongselek Railway Station serves as the nearest railway station to the city, conveniently connected to all major cities within Arunachal Pradesh. It is located just 131 km away.
- What is Aalo Famous For? Aalo is famous for its location at the confluence of the Sipu and Yomgo rivers, surrounded by tiny villages. It offers scenic beauty, blooming orchards, and opportunities for trekking, river rafting, and exploring nearby attractions like Mechuka Valley.
- Best Time to Visit Aalo: The best time to visit Aalo is during the winter season, from October to March, when the weather is pleasant, and the orchards are in full bloom.
Located amidst the majestic Himalayas, Arunachal Pradesh boasts numerous stunning lakes, and the most captivating of them all is the Madhuri Lake, also known as Sangetsar Lake. This remote and mesmerizing lake, nestled amidst rocky mountains, is truly beyond words. It gained popularity after featuring in the Bollywood movie Koyla and is affectionately named after the lead actress, Madhuri Dixit.
Situated at an altitude of 12,000 ft, just 30 km northeast of Tawang, the lake is a sight to behold. It is embraced by towering mountains, and upright tree trunks stand as guardians, adding to its charm. Madhuri Lake is a natural marvel and the best tourist place in Arunachal Pradesh that leaves you amazed, enchanted, and revitalized.
- How to Reach Madhuri Lake? To reach Madhuri Lake, also known as Sangetsar Lake, you can follow the route from Tawang to Arunachal Pradesh. From Tawang, the lake is located about 30 km northeast. You can hire a taxi or take a shared cab from Tawang to reach the lake.
- What is Madhuri Lake Famous For? Madhuri Lake, also known as Sangetsar Lake, is famous for its breathtaking beauty, surrounded by rocky mountains and guarded by upright tree trunks. It gained popularity after featuring in the Bollywood movie “Koyla.”
- Best Time to Visit Madhuri Lake: The best time to visit Madhuri Lake is from April to October when the weather is pleasant and the lake is accessible for visitors.
Changlang District, located along the international boundary with Myanmar, is renowned for its biodiversity, scenic beauty, and distinctive culture. It exudes a subtle uniqueness in its attitude, nature, and environment, setting it apart from neighboring areas.
The Changlang shares the lush green surroundings, pleasant climate, and picturesque landscapes that are characteristic of the state. Visitors can explore the Namdapha National Park and immerse themselves in the abundant blessings of nature that adorn the area. Changlang is a destination that offers a blend of cultural richness and natural splendor.
- How to Reach Changlang? The nearest railway station to Changlang is Tinsukia Junction, which is around 100 km away. From the railway station, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Changlang.
- What is Changlang Famous For? Changlang is known for its biodiversity, scenic beauty, and unique culture. It shares an international boundary with Myanmar (Burma) and offers lush green surroundings, a pleasant environment, and picturesque sceneries.
- Best Time to Visit Changlang: The best time to visit Changlang is from November to February when the temperature is moderate, and you can explore the natural beauty and experience the local culture to the fullest.
In conclusion we would say Arunachal Pradesh, the Land of the Rising Sun, is a wonderful destination that offers a captivating blend of natural wonders, cultural diversity, and spiritual experiences. From the breathtaking landscapes of Tawang to the serene monasteries of Bomdila, Arunachal Pradesh offers many paradises for nature lovers and cultural enthusiasts.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the best time to visit Arunachal Pradesh?
The best time to visit Arunachal Pradesh is during the months of October to April when the weather is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities.
Are there any permits required to visit Arunachal Pradesh?
Yes, visitors to Arunachal Pradesh require an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to enter the state. The ILP can be obtained from designated authorities or online portals.
What are some popular tourist attractions in Arunachal Pradesh?
Arunachal Pradesh offers a plethora of attractions including Tawang Monastery, Ziro Valley, Sela Pass, Namdapha National Park, and the Madhuri Lake (Sangetsar Lake), among others.
How can I reach Arunachal Pradesh?
Arunachal Pradesh can be reached by air through airports in Guwahati and Dibrugarh, and by train through railheads like Guwahati and Naharlagun. Roadways connect the state with neighboring states.
Is it safe to travel to Arunachal Pradesh?
Arunachal Pradesh is generally a safe destination for travelers. However, it is advisable to follow local guidelines, respect local customs, and take necessary precautions while exploring remote areas and during outdoor activities.