Nestled amidst the picturesque landscapes of central India, Nagpur is not just renowned for its vibrant culture and historical significance but also for its proximity to some incredible trekking destinations. In our article on trekking places near Nagpur, we will take a brief look on each on them so lets begin.
16 Best Trekking Places Near Nagpur To Explore
Trekking Places Near Nagpur Under 100km
Ambazari Lake is a popular destination for trekking in Nagpur. It is located in the heart of the city and is a serene oasis amidst the bustling urban landscape. The lake is surrounded by lush greenery and is a great place for a relaxing walk, picnic or trek.
The trekking trail around Ambazari Lake is easy and suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. It is a popular spot for morning and evening walks, and the lake is a great place to unwind and enjoy nature.
In addition to trekking, visitors can also enjoy other activities such as boating, bird watching, and visiting the nearby Japanese Rose Garden and the Maharajbagh Zoo. There are also several food stalls and restaurants near the lake that serve local delicacies.
- How to reach Ambazari Lake?: It is only 7 km from main city and state buses are available to cover this journey within minutes.
- What is Ambazari Lake famous for?: Ambazari Lake is a beautiful lake that is well known for paddle and row boating.
- Places nearby Ambazari Lake to visit: Swami Narayanan Temple, Ramtek Temple
- Best time to visit Ambazari Lake: Ambazari Lake can be visited anytime during the year.
- What is the height of Ambazari Lake Trek? NA
- What is the length of Ambazari Lake Trek? Around 2.4km.
- How difficult is Ambazari Lake Trek? It is an easy trek.
Suggested reads: 11 Most Popular Night Treks Near Mumbai
Amba Khori is a popular trekking destination located in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra, India. It is situated on the banks of Pench river and is one of the best trekking places near Nagpur within 100 kms.
The trek to Amba Khori is challenging, with steep ascents and descents, and is suitable for experienced trekkers. However, the stunning views of the Sahyadri mountain range and the lush green forests make the effort worthwhile.
The trek takes you through a variety of terrains, but make sure to wear good shoes and trekking equipment as the environment remains wet during the trekking season. This will prevent accidental slipping and injuries.
- How to reach Amba Khori? It is 80km from Nagpur and private buses and vehicles are only way to reach there.
- What is Amba Khori famous For? It is famous for its beauty.
- Places nearby Amba Khori to visit: Ambazari Lake, Maharajbhag Zoo
- Best time to visit Amba Khori: It can be visited throughout the year.
- What is the height of Amba Khori Trek? NA
- What is the length of Amba Khori Trek? NA
- How difficult is Amba Khori Trek? It is considered as a moderate trek
Adasa is a small village known for its scenic beauty and historical significance. The village is home to several ancient temples, including the Adasa Ganpati Temple, which is a popular pilgrimage site.
While Adasa is not a well-known trekking destination, there are several nearby hills and forests that offer great opportunities for trekking and hiking.
The trekking trails around Adasa take visitors through scenic landscapes, dense forests, and rugged terrain, and offer stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- How to reach Adasa?: The nearest airport which is Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport which is just 42 km away. Alternatively, you can take a train from Malegaon Vyenku Railway Station which is 10.5 km away from Adasa. Total distance is 40km.
- What is Adasa famous for?: Adasa is famous for being the perfect location for people interested in learning more about India’s history and culture. Adasa has several temples that enliven it, which anyone would want to visit.
- Best time to visit Adasa: It can be visited throughout the year but monsoon and winters are preferred.
- Places nearby Adasa to visit: Ramtek and Dhapewada
- What is the height of Trek? NA
- What is the length of Trek? NA
- How difficult is Adasa trek? NA
Ramtek Fort is a historical fort located in the town of Ramtek. The fort is situated on top of a hill and offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
The trek to Ramtek Fort is relatively easy and takes visitors through old formations trails and beautiful natural surroundings. Along the way, visitors can see several ancient temples, rock-cut caves, and sculptures.
At the top of the fort, visitors can explore the ruins of the fortification and enjoy the stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
The fort is also home to several ancient temples, including the Ram Temple and the Kali Temple, which are popular pilgrimage sites.
- How to reach Ramtek?: It is about 50 km from Nagpur. The closest railway station is in Ramtek itself i.e. Ramtek Railway Station and the closest Bus Stand is Ramtek Bus Stand.
- What is Ramtek famous for?: Ramtek is famous for being a beautiful historical city associated with Rama the Hindu mythological figure and where he stayed during his exile.
- Places nearby Ramtek to visit: Totladoh Dam, Khindsy Lake
- Best time to visit Ramtek: November during the Kalidasa Festival.
- What is the height of Trek? NA
- What is the length of Trek? NA
- How difficult is Ramtek Fort trek? It is a moderate trek.
Suggested reads: 15 Trekking Places Near Kolhapur Not To Miss
Ramtek to Mogarkasa
The trail from Ramtek to Mogarkasa is a nature lover’s paradise. Along the route, you can also explore historical sites such as the Jain Temple in Mogarkasa, and visit the Ramtek Fort, which offers a glimpse into the region’s past.
As you trek or bike along the trail, you will encounter scenic countryside, lush green forests, local markets, lakes, and rivers.
Additionally, the Tadoba Tiger Reserve and the Pench Tiger Forest, situated 130 km and 60 km away from Nagpur respectively, are also worth a visit for those interested in exploring the natural wildlife sanctuaries in the area.
- How to reach Ramtek?: The closest railway station is in Ramtek itself i.e. Ramtek Railway Station and the closest Bus Stand is Ramtek Bus Stand. You can use these modes to reach this place. The total distance is 50 km.
- What is Ramtek famous for?: Ramtek is famous for being a beautiful historical city associated with Rama the Hindu mythological figure and where he stayed during his exile.
- Places nearby Ramtek to visit: Totladoh Dam, Khindsy Lake, Tadoba Tiger Reserve, Pench Tiger Forest
- Best time to visit Ramtek: November during the Kalidasa Festival but monsoon around August for trekking.
- What is the height of Ramtek to Mogarkasa Trek? 345 metres
- What is the length of Ramtek to Mogarkasa Trek? NA
- How difficult is Ramtek to Mogarkasa Trek? It is a moderate trek.
Khindsi Lake, situated near Ramtek in the Nagpur district of India, is renowned for its vast and picturesque lake, making it a popular destination for tourists from Vidarbha for many years.
Whether you’re looking for a peaceful and eventful weekend or searching for a perfect picnic spot, Khindsi has got you covered.
It also offers water sports facilities at Khindsi are among the safest and well-maintained in the country and have received recognition from the Tourism Department of the Government of India.
Take a ride on the water scooter or speed boat, or opt for a more traditional pedal boat or rowing boat, while admiring the breathtaking sunset on the Khindsi Lake.
- How to reach Khindshi Lake? The distance between them is around 51 km and the best way to reach there is a personal vehicle.
- What is Khindshi Lake famous for? It is famous for its beautiful surroundings and activities available nearby lake.
- Places to visit near Khindshi Lake: Futala Lake, Deekshabhoomi, Sitabuldi Fort, Raman Science Centre, Maharajbagh Zoo, Ambazari Lake, Seminary Hill, Telankhedi Hanuman Temple, Zero Mile Stone
- Best time to visit Khindshi Lake: It is best to visit in monsoon and winters from August to February.
- What is the height of Khindshi Lake Trek? NA
- What is the length of Khindshi Lake Trek? NA
- How difficult is Khindshi Lake Trek? It is a easy trek.
Khekranala is located in the Khapa range of Nagpur. It is known for its scenic dam and beautiful surroundings. Khekranala is an ideal destination for adventure enthusiasts, especially for those interested in trekking.
The major attraction here is the serene lake near the Khekranala Dam, which is surrounded by a dense forest boasting a diverse range of flora and fauna.
The area’s lush greenery, healthy climate, and fascinating environment draw tourists from different parts of the state.
To cater to visitors, Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) has established lodging facilities, allowing guests to stay and enjoy their time in this beautiful location.
- How to reach Khekranala? The distance is 54km between them. The best way to travel is via a bus or cab. The nearest bus stand to Khekranala is the Saoner Bus Stand
- What is Khekranala famous for? Khekranala is famous for its picturesque reservoir and the natural beauty that surrounds it.
- Places to visit near Khekranala: Ambhora, Pench National Park, Nagardhan Fort, Markanda
- Best time to visit Khekranala: The best time to visit Khekranala is during the winter season, from November to February.
- What is the height of Khekranala Trek? NA
- What is the length of Khekranala Trek? NA
- How difficult is Khekranala trek? The difficulty level of the Khekranala trek can vary depending on the specific route and the individual’s fitness level. However, in general, the trek to Khekranala is considered to be of moderate trek.
Suggested reads: 13 Best Trekking Shoes in India 2023
Pench Tiger Reserve
The Pench Tiger Reserve, located in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra states of India, is a popular destination for trekking and wildlife safaris.
It is named after the Pench River that flows through the reserve, and is known for its rich flora and fauna, including the Royal Bengal tiger, leopards, Indian bison, and various species of deer, birds, and reptiles.
The reserve offers several trekking trails and provides visitors with an opportunity to explore the beautiful landscape and spot wildlife in their natural habitat.
The reserve also offers several other activities, such as bird watching, camping, and wildlife safaris, which allow visitors to experience the natural beauty and biodiversity of the region.
- How to reach Pench Tiger Reserve? The most convenient way is to drive from Nagpur to Pench Tiger Reserve. It is approximately 78km away and takes around 2 hours.
- What is Pench Tiger Reserve famous for? The reserve is renowned for its population of Bengal tigers. It provides a protected habitat for these majestic big cats and is considered one of the best tiger reserves in India.
- Places to visit near Pench Tiger Reserve: Sitaghat, Alikatta, Totladoh Dam, Kalapahad, Raiyakassa, Chhindimatta Road, Khursapar Gate, Ramtek, Nagardhan Fort, Suktara, Tathastu Art Village, Pachdhaar, Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary, Kanha National Park
- Best time to visit Pench Tiger Reserve: Winter is undoubtedly the optimal time to visit Pench National Park, as the weather remains pleasant and serene, providing an ideal setting for a wildlife safari.
- What is the height of Pench Tiger Reserve Trek? NA
- What is the length of Pench Tiger Reserve Trek? NA
- How difficult is Pench Tiger Reserve Trek? Overall it offers some easy treks.
Trekking Places Near Nagpur Under 200km
Seven Sisters Hill
The Seven Sisters Hill is a popular trekking destination located in Nagpur, Maharashtra, India. It is a range of hills that is also known as the Satpura Range, and it consists of seven hills that are connected to each other.
The Seven Sisters Hill is located near the Bor Wildlife Sanctuary, and it is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna.
Trekking at the Seven Sisters Hill is a popular activity for adventure enthusiasts and nature lovers. The trek takes you through dense forests, rocky terrain, and beautiful waterfalls, and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
It is also recommended to obtain a permit from the Forest Department before embarking on the Seven Sisters Hill trek.
- How to reach Seven Sisters Hill? Seven Sisters hill distance from Nagpur is around 107 km. You can first reach Perjagadh via bus or train then procced to Seven Sister Hills.
- What is Seven Sisters Hill famous for? It is famous for its structure and beautiful surroundings.
- Places to visit near Seven Sisters Hill: Japanese Rose Garden, Shri Ganesh Mandir Tekdi, Bohra Masjid, Dragon Palace Buddhist Temple, Pench Tiger Reserve, and Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve
- Best time to visit Seven Sisters Hill: It is best to visit in monsoon and winters from August to February.
- What is the height of Seven Sisters Hill Trek? 459 meters
- What is the length of Seven Sisters Hill Trek? It is 35 km long.
- How difficult is Seven Sisters Hill Trek? It offers difficult treks.
Trekking Places Near Nagpur Under 300km
Chikhaldara is a beautiful hill station located in the Amravati district of Maharashtra, India, and is a popular destination for trekking. Situated at an altitude of 1118 meters, it is known for its scenic beauty, lush green forests, and serene lakes.
Chikhaldhara is the sole hill station in the Vidharba Region, making it a popular tourist attraction throughout the state. This journey, which begins near Amravati at the base camp, allows you to visit the Chikhaldhara section of the Melghat Range of hills.
- How to reach Chikhaldara? Chikhaldara is located approximately 230 kilometers from Nagpur. You can drive from Nagpur to Chikhaldara via the Nagpur-Amravati Highway. The journey takes around 5-6 hours. The nearest railway station to Chikhaldara is Badnera Junction, which is well-connected to major cities in India.
- What is Chikhaldara famous for? It is popular for its wildlife and scenic beauty.
- Places to visit near Chikhaldara: Melghat Tiger Reserve, Gavilgad Fort, Bhim Kund
- Best time to visit Chikhaldara: July to September is the best time to visit Chikhaldara. During the month of March to Mid June, the climate is warm during the day and cool in the evenings.
- What is the height of Chikhaldara trek Trek? 1118 meters
- What is the length of Chikhaldara trek Trek? NA
- How difficult is Chikhaldara Trek? It is considered a moderate trek.
Trekking Places Near Nagpur Over 300km
Lohagad fort trek is a one-stop destination for those trekking enthusiasts who adore natural beauty as well as history. The fort towers 3389 feet above the ground.
Lohagad literally means “Iron Fort” in Marathi and was an important fort on the Maratha rulers’ strategic trading route. This range divides the basins of the Indrayani and Pavna rivers and overlooks the gorgeous and mesmerising Pawna lake, making the view from the summit even more lovely.
Trekking to Lohagad fort is a magnificent experience because it is blessed with a profusion of natural beauty and hilltop architecture. The Lohagad fort trek is ideal for first-timers and beginners because it is not difficult and can be finished with medium-level endurance.
- How to reach Lohagad Fort? It is 777km from Nagpur. First you have to reach Pune and then you can take a local train to Lonavala or Khandala. Then you can take local taxi or bus to the base of Lohagad Fort.
- What is Lohagad Fort famous for? Lohagad Fort is famous for its historical significance as a fortress built by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, its trekking opportunities, and its scenic beauty amidst the Sahyadri mountains.
- Places to visit near Lohagad Fort: Visapur Fort, Pawna Lake, Bhaja Caves, Karla Caves, Tikona Fort, Tung Fort, Bedse Caves, Rajmachi Fort, Korigad Fort
- Best time to visit Lohagad Fort: The ideal time to visit Lohagad Fort is during the Monsoon season, when the rains refresh the surroundings and a blanket of heavy clouds provides a welcome relief from the sun.
- What is the height of Lohagad Fort Trek? 1036 meters
- What is the length of Lohagad Fort Trek? It is around 5 km.
- How difficult is Lohagad Fort trek? It is an easy level trek.
Suggested reads: Best Camping and Trekking Places Near Nashik
Kalsubai Peak is a famous trek in the Sahyadri Mountains. At 5,400 feet, it is Maharashtra’s highest peak and is easily accessible from both Mumbai and Pune.
The hike includes a stunning mix of natural landscapes such as waterfalls, woods, grasslands, and old forts. The Kalsubai Temple at the peak’s summit attracts visitors from local villages all year. They come to seek Kalsubai Devi’s blessings.
The Kalsubai hike provides views of several famous forts, including Alang, Madan, and Kulang. The hikes to these summits are strenuous.
On a clear day, one can also see the adjacent forts of Harihargad, Harishchandragad, and Ratangad. For added adventure, many experienced trekkers combine these hikes.
The Kalsubai Peak is also a very popular night trek. Trekkers visit here for the spectacular morning views!
- How to reach Kalsubai Peak? It is 645km from Nagpur. You can take a direct train to Bhandardara Station or Ahmednagar Station. Then take a bus to Bhandardara Depot (if came to Ahmednagar Station). Then cover the remaining distance on foot.
- What is Kalsubai Peak famous for? It is famous for its beautiful surroundings and for being the highest peak in Maharashtra.
- Places to visit near Kalsubai Peak: Bhandardara, Randha Falls, Arthur Lake, Sandhan Valley, Amruteshwar Temple, Ratangad Fort, Wilson Dam, Umbrella Falls, Agasti Rishi Ashram, and Alang-Madan-Kulang (AMK) Trek
- Best time to visit Kalsubai Peak: July to September is the monsoon season here which is best to visit if you want to explore the green lush environment.
- What is the height of Kalsubai Peak Trek? 1646 meters
- What is the length of Kalsubai Peak Trek? It is 6.6 km.
- How difficult is Kalsubai Peak trek? It is an moderate level trek.
Sinhagad, located less than 40 km from Pune, is one of the region’s most popular hikes. It has been the site of several wars as part of the strategically vital trio of Sinhagad, Rajgad, and Torna.
The trek route is separated into two sections: the first is a tar road from Donje Gaon that gently climbs up to the two-wheeler parking spot. It can also be done on a bicycle. The second half of the journey is a difficult but extremely gratifying climb to the fort’s summit.
The breathtaking view of the mountain valley can be seen from the top of the fort. The fort is also a training facility for the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla. The Panshet, Khadakwasla, and Varasgaon dams, as well as the Torana fort, can all be seen.
- How to reach Sinhagad Fort? It is 802km from Nagpur. Take a train to Pune station and then via state buses you can easily reach Sinhagad Fort.
- What is Sinhagad Fort famous for? The fort is also on the famous fort in Maharashtra which has a great history of Tanaji Malusare.
- Places to visit near Sinhagad Fort: Shaniwar Wada, Aga Khan Palace, Sinhagad Fort, Dagadusheth Halwai Ganpati Temple, Pataleshwar Cave Temple, Parvati Hill and Parvati Temple, Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Pune Okayama Friendship Garden, Osho International Meditation Resort, Pashan Lake
- Best time to visit Sinhagad Fort: The best time to visit Sinhagad Fort is during monsoon or winter season, i.e. in between the months of June and February.
- What is the height of Sinhagad Fort Trek? 1316 meters
- What is the length of Sinhagad Fort Trek? It is 2.5 km in length.
- How difficult is Sinhagad Fort trek? It is an moderate level trek.
The Kalsubai range, which includes some of the highest peaks in the Sahyadris, is home to Ratangad fort. Ratangad provides the best views of the surrounding peaks and the Bhanadardara dam.
As you walk along the fort’s edge, you can see the massive cliffs unroll in front of your eyes, one behind the other. The ruggedness of the Sahyadris can only be appreciated from a few forts, Ratangad being one of them.
Standing in the “Eye of the Needle” is a big attraction among the tourists and thrill seakers. Ratangad is the ideal hike for those who wish to spend time in caves.
- How to reach Ratangad Fort? It is 680km from Nagpur. You can take a train to Igatpuri, which is the nearest major town. From Igatpuri, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to reach the base village of Ratangad Fort, which is around 56 kilometers away.
- What is Ratangad Fort famous for? Ratangad Fort is famous for its ancient architecture, scenic surroundings, and captivating views. It is also known for the famous “Nedhe” or “Eye of the Needle” rock formation that attracts visitors.
- Places to visit near Ratangad Fort: Bhatsa River Valley, Vipassana International Academy, Tringalwadi Fort, Camel Valley, Ghatandevi Temple, Amruteshwar Temple, Dhammagiri Meditation Center, Kalsubai Peak, Vaitarna Dam, and Ashoka Waterfall
- Best time to visit Ratangad Fort: The best time to visit Ratangad is from October to December.
- What is the height of Ratangad Fort Trek? 1297 meters
- What is the length of Ratangad Fort Trek? It is around 6 km.
- How difficult is Ratangad Fort trek? It is an moderate level trek.
Rajmachi is a well-known hike in the Sahyadri Mountains. The simple and attractive track is a favourite location for all hikers, especially beginners.
The Rajmachi Fort, at a height of 2750 feet, overlooks the Bhorghat Pass, a significant historic trading route under the Maratha Empire.
The trek to Rajmachi is simple. The height isn’t too high, and the trail is properly defined, so you can go without a guide. Trekking during the monsoon season is the most adventurous and difficult. Udhewadi is the starting point for the Rajmachi fort walk.
Rajmachi may be reached by two routes: one from Tungarli in Lonavala and the other from Kondivade village in Karjat. The trek from Tungarli is longer, taking approximately 6 hours to reach Rajmachi.
- How to reach Rajmachi Trek? Total distance is 818km. First take a train to Pune and then a local to Lonavala. From there using local transport you can visit Rajmachi Fort.
- What is Rajmachi Trek famous for? The Rajmachi Trek is famous for its historical and cultural significance. Situated in the Sahyadri mountain range in the Indian state of Maharashtra, the trek takes you to the twin hill forts of Shrivardhan Fort and Manoranjan Fort.
- Best time to visit Rajmachi Trek: June to February is the best time to take this trek journey.
- What is the height of Rajmachi Fort Trek? 838 meters
- What is the length of Rajmachi Fort Trek? Around 16 km.
- How difficult is Rajmachi Trek? Rajmachi trek difficulty level is moderate.
Waki Woods is a resort that provides a variety of activities such as bird watching, boating, archery, and horseback riding.
The place is highly recommended for trekking enthusiasts as it offers a fantastic trekking experience, attracting a large number of visitors.
To make the stay more comfortable, the resort offers furnished-tented accommodations, as well as amenities like electricity, water, and telephone.
Additionally, there are other lakes, wildlife and bird sanctuaries, picnic spots, and tourist attractions within easy driving distance from Nagpur city.
- How to reach Waki Woods? It is about 30km from Nagpur so taking a bus or cab is the the best way to get there.
- What is Waki Woods famous for? Waki Woods is a stunning natural location gifted by Mother Nature, featuring a charming river that flows through beautiful landscapes, offering breathtaking views during both sunrise and sunset.
- Places to visit near Waki Woods: Waki Dargah, Kashid Beach, Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary, Revdanda Fort, Alibaug, Murud-Janjira Fort
- Best time to visit Waki Woods: Its evergreen beauty makes it a must visit all throughout the year.
- What is the height of Waki Woods Trek? NA
- What is the length of Waki Woods Trek? NA
- How difficult is Waki Woods trek? It is an easy trek.
This concludes our article on Exploring the Untamed Wilderness: Top 11 Trekking Places Near Nagpur. We hope you like this and make sure to share this with your friends. Also, don’t forget to comment down your suggestions below.
You may also like Popular Hill Stations Near Nagpur To Explore.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Pachmarhi hill station, near Nagpur station, is known as the ‘Queen of Satpuras’ and lies majestically at an elevation of roughly 3500 feet.
There are about 10 good trekking places near Nagpur to visit.
Amba Khori is a beautiful waterfall near Nagpur that is perfect for a picnic with family and friends.
Silver Falls is a hidden Waterfall roughly 120 km from Nagpur.
Seven Sisters Hill, Perjagadh is located 106 kilometers from Nagpur, close to Sonapur Village in the Chandrapur District.
2. Umred Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary
3. Ambazari Lake & Garden
4. Vidarbha Cricket Association Ground
5. Krazy Castle Aqua Park
6. Khindsi Lake
7. Raman Science Centre
8. Japanese Rose Garden
Following are some good trekking places near Nagpur:
1. Ambazari Lake
2. Waki Woods
3. Amba Khori
5. Ramtek Fort
6. Ramtek to Mogarkasa
7. Khindshi Lake