Tamil Nadu is a state in southern India that is known for its rich cultural heritage, ancient temples, and beautiful hill stations. In this post, we will explore some of the best places for 2 days trip in Tamil Nadu.
It is a popular tourist destination that attracts visitors from all over the world. Let’s get started with your trip In Tamil Nadu!
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
PLAN A MEMORABLE 2 DAYS TRIP IN TAMIL NADU
14 Best Places For 2 Days Trip In Tamil Nadu
Mahabalipuram, also called Mamallapuram, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Tamil Nadu, India. It is known for its ancient temples, beautiful beaches, and rich cultural history. The Pallava dynasty made it flourish between the 4th and 9th centuries.
They built stunning temples with intricate stone carvings, like the Shore temple. Mahabalipuram is a popular weekend destination due to its location and good transport links from major South Indian cities.
- How to reach Mahabalipuram? The closest major train station is in Chennai, about 57 km away, providing good rail connectivity to other cities.
- What is Mahabalipuram famous for? Mahabalipuram is famous for its ancient temples and monuments that showcase the grandeur of the Pallava dynasty during the 4th to 9th centuries.
- Best time to visit Mahabalipuram: The best time to visit Mahabalipuram is during the winter months, from November to February.
Kolli Hills is a best place for 2 days trip in Tamil Nadu. It is a small mountain range in central Tamil Nadu. The hills reach up to 1300 m and cover about 280 km², known for its lush forests and scenic views. The area is famous for coffee plantations, fruit orchards, and silver-oak estates.
Kolli Hills is a place of worship and is home to the ancient Arapaleeswarar temple, showcasing Chola dynasty architecture. For stunning panoramic views, visit Selur Viewpoint. A must-visit attraction is the Agaya Gangai Waterfalls, a spectacular natural wonder in Kolli Hills.
- How to reach Kolli Hills? The nearest major railhead is Salem, approximately 90 km away, providing good train connectivity.
- What is Kolli Hills famous for? The hills are famous for their large expanse of evergreen or shola forest cover, making it a haven for nature enthusiasts.
- Best time to visit Kolli Hills: The best time to visit Kolli Hills is during the post-monsoon and winter months, from October to March.
Yercaud is celebrated for its natural beauty and peaceful atmosphere, making it a must-visit for a 2-day trip. The area boasts breathtaking views, lush greenery, and pleasant weather. When in Yercaud, don’t miss Kiliyur Falls, a magnificent waterfall surrounded by greenery, cascading down from a height of 300 feet.
Explore Lady’s Seat, a famous viewpoint providing panoramic vistas of valleys and hills, especially stunning during sunset. An exciting adventure awaits with ziplining at Sky Riders Zipline Adventure, adding to the unique charm of Yercaud.
- How to reach Yercaud? The nearest major railway station is Salem Junction. It is approximately 36 km away, and it is well-connected to major cities.
- What is Yercaud famous for? The hill station is also referred to as the “Jewel of the South” due to its natural beauty and serene ambiance. It is also famous for the Yercaud Lake, Shevaroy Temple, and the 32-km Loop Road, offering breathtaking views of the hills.
- Best time to visit Yercaud: The most favorable period to visit Yercaud is from October to March.
Yelagiri is famous for its natural beauty, pleasant weather, and serene surroundings, making it a perfect choice for a 2-day trip. The hill station boasts breathtaking views of misty mountains, splendid landscapes, and captivating spots like Nilavoor Lake and Amirthi waterfalls.
Another highlight in Yelagiri is Fundera Park, home to more than 300 exotic non-Indian birds and a petting farm where visitors can interact with animals. It offers adventure activities like trekking, rock climbing, paragliding, and more.
- How to reach Yelagiri? The nearest major railway station is Jolarpettai, located about 21 km away, which is well-connected to major cities. From Jolarpettai, you can hire a taxi to reach Yelagiri.
- What is Yelagiri famous for? Adventure enthusiasts flock to Yelagiri to indulge in activities like trekking, rock climbing, paragliding, and boating at the Yelagiri Lake.
- Best time to visit Yelagiri: Plan your trip to Yelagiri between January and March for the most pleasant experience.
Vellore holds its rich cultural heritage and historical significance. A key attraction is the Vellore Fort, which showcases exceptional military architecture and hosts a mosque, temples, palaces, and a garden within its expansive 133-acre area.
Another must-visit spot is the Sri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple. It is a spiritual haven with intricate goldwork and a stair path leading to the temple. For adventure enthusiasts, Vellore offers activities like rock climbing, paragliding, roping, camping, and trekking.
Don’t miss the stunning views of the city from the top of Swamimalai Hill, adding to Vellore’s allure.
- How to reach Vellore? The city is accessible by road, with good connectivity through National Highway 48 (NH48), allowing for easy travel by car or taxi from nearby cities.
- What is Vellore famous for? Vellore is famous for its historical Vellore Fort, showcasing impressive military architecture. The city is also home to the Sri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple, a spiritual sanctuary adorned with intricate goldwork.
- Best time to visit Vellore: Discover Vellore’s charm by planning your trip in the months of November to February.
Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu, India is a city with a rich cultural heritage and historical significance, perfect for a 2-day trip. On the first day, visit Kanchi Kudil, a heritage museum, and the revered Kanchi Kamakshi Amman Temple.
On the second day, explore the art of silk saree weaving at the Kanchi Weavers Association and dive into the spiritual realm at Kanchi Mutt. For adventure, Kanchipuram offers thrilling activities like parasailing, scuba diving, rappelling, and rock climbing.
- How to reach Kanchipuram? The nearest major airport is Chennai International Airport (MAA), approximately 75 kilometers away.
- What is Kanchipuram famous for? The city is famous for its meticulously crafted Kanchipuram silk sarees. Some famous temples in the city include the Kailasanathar Temple, Ekambareswarar Temple, and more.
- Best time to visit Kanchipuram: The top recommendation for visiting Kanchipuram is during the period of December to March.
Kodaikanal is an ideal 2-day weekend getaway in Tamil Nadu. The heart of the town is the stunning Kodaikanal Lake, surrounded by nature’s beauty. A must-do is visiting the Kurinji Andavar Temple, dedicated to Lord Murugan and surrounded by rare Kurinji flowers that bloom every 12 years.
Additionally, explore Coaker’s Walk for breathtaking valley views, Dolphin’s Nose for panoramic views from a rock formation, and Bear Shola Falls, a scenic waterfall frequented by bears. For adventure enthusiasts, Kodaikanal offers night safaris, trekking, and hiking.
- How to reach Kodaikanal? While Kodaikanal does not have its own airport or railway station, the nearest major railway station is Kodai Road, approximately 80 km away.
- What is Kodaikanal famous for? Kodaikanal is also famous for the Kurinji flower, which blooms once every 12 years, covering the hills in a beautiful shade of blue.
- Best time to visit Kodaikanal: Planning your visit between October and March ensures a memorable and enjoyable experience.
Suggested Read: Hill In Tamil Nadu
Meghamalai, also known as the High Wavy Mountains. The mountain range is 1,500 m above sea level. Meghamalai is a quiet hilly village where you can experience the quaint nature and simple village life.
In Meghamalai, you can visit the Highwavys Dam for a serene lake and mountain views. Other popular spots include Megamalai Viewpoint and adventure activities like rappelling and camping.
- How to reach Meghamalai? The hill station is approximately 130 kilometers away from Madurai, a major nearby city.
- What is Meghamalai famous for? The place is famous for its views of misty hills, and the aroma of fresh tea leaves in the air attracts visitors.
- Best time to visit Meghamalai: The best time to visit Meghamalai is from November to January. During this period, the weather is pleasant, and the lush greenery adds to the charm of the region.
Nestling in the Nilgiri hills, Ooty is a beloved hill station for 2 days trip in Tamil Nadu for couples. It is celebrated for its lush tea plantations, towering mountains, and serene lakes. A standout experience is the Nilgiri Mountain Toy Train ride, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that takes you on a scenic journey through valleys, tunnels, curves, and bridges.
For adventure seekers, Ooty provides opportunities like trekking at Avalanche Lake, cycling at Emerald Lake, and camping. Alternatively, for a relaxing experience, consider visiting Ooty Lake or exploring the charming locals nearby. Ooty promises an enchanting retreat into nature’s beauty.
- How to reach Ooty? The hill station is approximately 86 kilometers away from Coimbatore, a major nearby city.
- What is Ooty famous for? It is also referred to as the “Queen of Hill Stations”. The hill station is famous for the Nilgiri tea, a distinct and flavorsome variety. Visitors also indulge in a ride on the Nilgiri Mountain Toy Train.
- Best time to visit Ooty: Make your Ooty visit memorable by planning it between April and June.
Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu, bustles with a unique mix of history, culture, and modern life. One must-visit attraction is the St. George Fort, a 17th-century marvel built by the Britishers, now serving as an engaging museum. Another gem is Marina Beach, India’s longest urban shoreline, offering stunning Bay of Bengal views.
Dive into Chennai’s culinary scene with local favorites like idli, dosa, and vada at popular spots like Murugan Idli Shop and Saravana Bhavan. For shopping, hit T Nagar and Pondy Bazaar. History enthusiasts can explore the Mahabalipuram UNESCO World Heritage Site, just 60 km south of Chennai.
- How to reach Chennai? The city has an international airport, Chennai International Airport, which is located about 7 km from the city center.
- What is Chennai famous for? Chennai is known for its rich cultural heritage, beautiful beaches, and delicious food. The city is home to several historical landmarks such as Fort St. George. It is also famous for its spicy cuisine, especially the South Indian delicacies like dosa, idli, and vada.
- Best time to visit Chennai: The best time to visit Chennai is between November and February when the weather is pleasant and cool.
Thanjavur, also known as Tanjore, sits in the heart of Tamil Nadu, boasting a rich cultural and spiritual legacy. This heritage town is dotted with historic temples and monuments worth a visit. The Brihadeeswarar Temple stands out, a UNESCO World Heritage Site famed for its impressive architecture and intricate carvings.
Apart from these landmarks, Thanjavur offers Shivaganga Park surrounding a water tank built by King Raja Raja Chola. Dive into the town’s artistic heritage by browsing local stores for Tanjore paintings, antiques, handicrafts, textiles, and saris.
- How to reach Thanjavur? The city has an airport, Tiruchirapalli International Airport, which is located about 60 km from Thanjavur. You can also reach Thanjavur by train as the city has a railway station, Thanjavur Junction.
- What is Thanjavur famous for? Thanjavur is celebrated for its classical Carnatic music, Tanjore paintings, and distinct style of Bharatanatyam dance.
- Best time to visit Thanjavur: The best time to visit Thanjavur is during the winter months, from October to March.
Rameshwaram is greeted by an exquisite blend of spirituality and scenic beauty. As you traverse through the sacred town, the Ramanathaswamy Temple stands as a monumental testament to devotion, drawing pilgrims and travelers alike with its awe-inspiring architecture and religious significance.
To enrich the travel experience, a visit to Dhanushkodi, the ghost town at the southeastern tip, is a must. The journey to Dhanushkodi allows you to witness the meeting point of the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea, a surreal vista.
- How to reach Rameshwaram? The nearest airport to Rameshwaram is the Madurai Airport about 174 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Rameshwaram.
- What is Rameshwaram famous for? Rameshwaram is famous for its picturesque beaches, the Pamban Bridge, and the vibrant annual festival of Maha Shivaratri.
- Best time to visit Rameshwaram: The best time to visit Rameshwaram is from October to April, during the winter and early summer seasons.
Kanyakumari is a coastal gem blending natural beauty, history, and spirituality. It is embraced by the Arabian Sea, the Indian Ocean, and the Bay of Bengal. The Vivekananda Rock Memorial is a star attraction, perched on a small island. Equally compelling is the Thiruvalluvar Statue, a towering 133-feet stone sculpture.
Visit to the sacred Kumari Amman Temple, dedicated to the goddess Devi Kanya Kumari, a revered site in Hindu mythology. Take a dip at the Triveni Sangam, where the Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean, and Bay of Bengal converge. History enthusiasts should explore the grandeur of the Padmanabhapuram Palace, once the mighty seat of the Travancore kingdom.
- How to reach Kanyakumari? The nearest airport to Kanyakumari is the Trivandrum International Airport about 67 km away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Kanyakumari.
- What is Kanyakumari famous for? Kanyakumari is famous for being the southernmost tip of the Indian subcontinent, where the Arabian Sea, the Indian Ocean, and the Bay of Bengal converge. It is also known for the vibrant Kanyakumari Beach, and the majestic Kumari Amman Temple.
- Best time to visit Kanyakumari: The ideal time to visit Kanyakumari is during the winter and early summer seasons, specifically from October to March.
Tiruchirapalli, also known as Trichy, is a city located in Tamil Nadu. The city is famous for its Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, which is one of the largest functioning Hindu temples in the world. Another popular attraction in Trichy is the Rock Fort Temple, which is situated on a 273-foot high rock and offers a panoramic view of the city.
In terms of natural beauty, Trichy has a lot to offer. The Kaveri River flows through the city and provides a picturesque view of the surrounding landscape. You can take a boat ride along the river and enjoy the scenic beauty of the place.
- How to reach Tiruchirapalli? The nearest airport to Tiruchirapalli is the Tiruchirapalli International Airport located approximately 5 kilometers away.
- What is Tiruchirapalli famous for? Trichy is also known for the historic Rockfort Temple, situated on a rocky outcrop, offering panoramic views of the city.
- Best time to visit Tiruchirapalli: The best time to visit Tiruchirapalli is during the winter months, from October to March. The weather is pleasant and suitable for exploring the attractions comfortably.
Suggested Reads: Places To Visit In Tamil Nadu
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
In Conclusion, Tamil Nadu is a culturally and naturally rich state that offers a diverse range of experiences. From ancient temples to misty hills, it has something for every traveler. A 2-day trip is enough to explore its spiritual, hill station, and beachside getaways. Come and experience the unique blend of history, spirituality, and stunning landscapes that Tamil Nadu has to offer!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Ooty, short for Ootacamund, is famous for its lush tea plantations, picturesque landscapes, and the Nilgiri Mountain Toy Train.
The highlight of Kolli Hills is its evergreen or shola forest cover, one of the largest in the Southern part of the Eastern Ghats.
In Yercaud, you can take a boat ride at Punganoor Lake, experience panoramic views at Swamimalai Hills, and visit the Fundera Park.
Vellore is famous for its Vellore Fort, showcasing impressive military architecture and a rich historical past.
Mahabalipuram is famous for its ancient temples, pristine beaches, and rich cultural heritage.