Welcome to Tamil Nadu’s hill stations, where lush green hills, cool breezes, and tranquility rejuvenate the soul. In this article, we will take you on a journey to discover the 8 best hill stations in Tamil Nadu, each with its unique charm. So, grab your virtual backpack, and let’s explore these enchanting havens!
Hill Stations In Tamil Nadu You Should Visit Once In Your Life
10 Popular Hill Stations In Tamil Nadu
Located in the majestic Nilgiri mountains of South India, Ooty is a famous hill station in Tamil Nadu known for its timeless beauty. Often referred to as Udhagamandalam, this place is a treasure trove of attractions.
Ooty offers a mix of gardens, parks, lakes, dams, tribal huts, museums, and historical buildings, making it a delight for all kinds of travelers. It holds the crown as the most-visited and finest hill station in Tamil Nadu.
- How to reach Ooty? The Udhagamandalam Railway Station is the main and nearest railway station in Ooty. It is about 1 km away from the Ooty.
- What is Ooty famous for? Ooty is famous for its breathtaking natural beauty, lush green hills, picturesque landscapes, and pleasant climate.
- Best time to visit Ooty: The best time to visit Ooty is during the months of April to June and September to November when the weather is pleasant and better for outdoor activities.
Yelagiri is a budget-friendly hill station in Tamil Nadu with lush greenery, rose gardens, orchards, valleys, and pleasant weather. Tourists can enjoy adventure sports like paragliding, trekking, and rock climbing.
It is a great place to feel closer to nature with its serene environment and scenic falls, lakes, hills, and nature parks.
- How to reach Yelagiri? The nearest airport is Bangalore International Airport, approximately 56 kilometers away from Yelagiri.
- What is Yelagiri famous for? Yelagiri is famous for Jalagamparai Falls, Nature’s Park, Velavan Temple, Punganoor Lake, Government Herbal Farm, and more.
- Best time to visit Yelagiri: The best time to visit Yelagiri is from November to February when the weather is pleasant and ideal for exploring.
Kodaikanal, in Tamil Nadu, is known as “The Princess of Hills”. It was a summer retreat during the British era. Tourists can witness the artificial star-shaped Kodaikanal Lake, the giant granite boulders at Pillar Rocks, exotic flowers at Chettiar Park, and cascading waterfalls at Bear Sholla Falls.
- How to reach Kodaikanal? Kodai Road Railway Station is the nearest railway station about 80 kilometers away. From Kodai station, you can hire a taxi to reach Kodaikanal.
- What is Kodaikanal famous for? Kodaikanal is famous for its lush green hills, dense forests, scenic lakes, and pleasant weather. One of the iconic attractions is the Kodaikanal Lake, a man-made marvel surrounded by picturesque landscapes
- Best time to visit Kodaikanal: The best time to visit Kodaikanal is during the months of October to March when the weather is cool and pleasant.
Yercaud, known as the “Land of Seven Forests,” is a hill station in the Salem district of Tamil Nadu. It offers breathtaking views of the town and is famous for its falls, coffee plantations, viewpoints, fruit orchards, and temples.
The 7-day Yercaud Summer Festival in May features flower shows, 3D art of a butterfly’s life cycle, boat races, and dog shows. Trekking is also popular, allowing adventure enthusiasts to witness the enchanting beauty of this scenic town.
- How to reach Yercaud? The nearest airport is Salem Airport, approximately 38 km away from Yercaud. From the airport, you can hire a taxi Yercaud.
- What is Yercaud famous for? Yercaud is well-known for Pagoda Point, Killiyur Falls, Yercaud Lake, Shevaroy Temple, and more.
- Best time to visit Yercaud: The monsoon season, from July to September, is a good time to experience lush greenery.
Masinagudi, in Tamil Nadu’s Nilgiri hills, is a part of Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary. It offers safari tours, nature walks, and a wide variety of flora, fauna, and avifauna for nature lovers and photographers.
From boating on the Moyar River to undertaking an adventurous jeep safari at the national parks, Masinagudi has something for everyone. A trip to Tamil Nadu is incomplete without visiting this scenic destination.
- How to reach Masinagudi? The nearest airport to Masinagudi is Coimbatore International Airport, approximately 123 kilometers away.
- What is Masinagudi famous for? Wildlife Sanctuaries, Trekking and Adventure, Elephant Camps, and more make it a famous place.
- Best time to visit Masinagudi: The best time to visit Masinagudi is from October to May when the weather is pleasant, and the chances of wildlife sightings are high.
Coonoor, the second-largest hill station in Tamil Nadu, is home to the Toda tribe. Sloped tea plantations, colonial culture, and stunning locations enhance its beauty. The viewpoints offer mesmerizing views of the sunrise and sunset.
Coonoor has been featured in Bollywood movies and is a great destination for honeymoons or trips with family and friends.
- How to reach Coonoor? The nearest airport is Coimbatore International Airport, approximately 71 kilometers away from Coonoor.
- What is Coonoor famous for? Coonoor offers breathtaking views of lush tea gardens, valleys, and the Nilgiri Hills, and more.
- Best time to visit Coonoor: The best time to visit Coonoor is during the months of October to March.
Valparai, Tamil Nadu’s picturesque hill station, boasts mountain peaks, waterfalls, dams, coffee & tea plantations, and ghat roads. Its tea plantations surround every major tourist attraction. It is a must-visit for those seeking unexplored hill stations in Tamil Nadu.
- How to reach Valparai? The nearest railway station is Pollachi Railway Station, which is around 64 kilometers from Valparai.
- What is Valparai famous for? Valparai is famous for its lush tea estates, dense forests, and picturesque landscapes. The entire region is a visual treat for nature lovers.
- Best time to visit Valparai: The best time to visit Valparai is during the post-monsoon and winter months, from September to March.
Cradled between the southern states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, the Anaimalai hills are mighty mountain ranges on the border of the Western Ghats. It offers you the scorching tropical heat or wish to trek your way through the hilly terrains of the Western Ghats.
Anaimalai Hill is a one-stop destination for anyone hunting for beautiful hill stations in Tamil Nadu.
- How to reach Anaimalai Hills? Anaimalai Hills is well-connected by road. You can drive, hire a taxi, or take a bus from nearby cities like Coimbatore or Pollachi.
- What is Anaimalai Hills famous for? Anaimalai Hills, also known as the Elephant Hills, is famous for its diverse flora and fauna. It is home to a variety of wildlife, including elephants, tigers, leopards, gaurs, and more.
- Best time to visit Anaimalai Hills: The best time to visit Anaimalai Hills is during the post-monsoon and winter months, from September to March.
Also known as the High Wavy Mountains, Meghamalai stands as a cool and misty mountain range nestled within the Western Ghats of Tamil Nadu. The location boasts an elevation of approximately 1,500 meters above sea level, ensuring a refreshing and pleasant climate.
Large in diverse flora and fauna, these mountains are a treasure trove of natural beauty, attracting visitors and making it one of the most famous tourist destinations in Tamil Nadu.
- How to reach Meghamalai? The nearest major city is Madurai, which is approximately 115 kilometers away. From Madurai, one can hire a taxi or drive to Meghamalai.
- What is Meghamalai famous for? Meghamalai is famous for its lush tea estates, cardamom plantations, and mesmerizing views. It also houses the historic Suruli Falls, adding to its charm.
- Best time to visit Meghamalai: The best time to visit Meghamalai is during the post-monsoon and winter months, from September to April.
The Palani Hills connect seamlessly with the Anamalai range and stretch into Tamil Nadu, covering about 2,068 square kilometers. They are a natural wonder, boasting diverse flora and fauna, contributing significantly to the state’s biodiversity.
Alongside their scenic beauty, they hold immense cultural and religious significance. The hills house shrines dedicated to Lord Karthikeyan. These shrines attract devotees and tourists, making the Palani Hills a cherished destination blending spirituality with natural splendor.
- How to reach Palani Hills? The nearest major city is Coimbatore in Tamilnadu. Palani is well-connected by road and is approximately 107 kilometers away from Coimbatore.
- What is Palani Hills famous for? Palani Hills are famous for their breathtaking natural beauty, a diverse range of flora and fauna, and their cultural and religious significance.
- Best time to visit Palani Hills: The best time to visit Palani Hills is during the winter months, from November to February.
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
Plan your next visit to Tamil Nadu’s hill stations. Prepare to embrace the beauty of lush landscapes, cascading waterfalls, ancient temples, and more across these captivating hill stations. Let these picturesque havens craft an unforgettable vacation for you.
Suggested Read: Waterfalls In Tamilnadu
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Ooty can be reached by air via Coimbatore Airport, by train to the Udhagamandalam Railway Station, or by road from various nearby cities and towns.
The best time to visit Kodaikanal is from April to June and September to November when the weather is comfortable and ideal for outdoor activities.
You can visit the tea gardens in Coonoor by taking guided tours offered by estates, allowing you to learn about tea cultivation and savor fresh teas.
The Yercaud Lake surrounded by gardens and woods is a prominent attraction, offering boating facilities and a tranquil ambiance.
In Valparai, you can enjoy tea estate visits, wildlife sightings, trekking, and visits to beautiful waterfalls like Nallamudi Poonjolai and Sholayar Dam Falls.