If you are planning for a beautiful weekend, this article might help you. Discover weekend getaways in Uttar Pradesh, a state boasting magnificent monuments and fascinating tourist attractions.
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
Top 15 Weekend Getaways In Uttar Pradesh To Try Out
Uttar Pradesh, where Kathak dance originated, is home to various religious beliefs, fostering a blend of cultures and traditions. Explore these enchanting weekend getaways in the state for a fulfilling trip.
Plan For A Perfect Weekend Getaway In Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow is a perfect weekend getaway in Uttar Pradesh. It is popular for its architecture, history, literature, and culture. Known as the city of Nawabs and Kebabs, it welcomes you with a warm note of ‘Muskuraiyein, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hai’ (Smile, because you are in Lucknow). The people of Lucknow are courteous and follow the ‘Pehle aap’ (you first) culture.
Rumi Darwaza and Bada Imambara divide the city into its old and new parts. Old Lucknow is famous for its bustling streets, mouth-watering kebab and biryani outlets, Lucknowi Chikan market, and wholesale jewelry stores. New Lucknow, on the other hand, is urban and home to people of varied cultures.
- How to reach Lucknow? By Train: If you are traveling by train, the closest railway station is Badshah Nagar railway station. It is located about 4 km away from the city center. By Air: The nearest airport is Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport (LKO). It is located in Amausi, 14 km from the city center. By Bus: If you prefer traveling by bus so the nearest bus stand is Shalimar Square Bus Stop is the nearest bus stand located 1.3 Km away from city centre.
- What is Lucknow famous for? Lucknow is popular for being the capital of Uttar Pradesh. It is also famous for its traditional embroidery known as Chikankari and the elegant Nawabi culture.
- Best time to visit Lucknow: The best time to visit Lucknow is during the winter months from October to March when the weather is pleasant and ideal for exploring the city’s attractions.
Agra is one of the top weekend getaways in Uttar Pradesh. It is famous for the Taj Mahal, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, which is a mausoleum built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz.
Apart from the Taj Mahal, Agra is also home to other historical monuments such as Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri. Agra is also known for its Petha, a sweet made from white pumpkin. If you are looking to explore natural beauty, you can visit Keetham Lake or Soor Sarovar Bird Sanctuary.
- How to reach Agra? By Air: If your mode of travel is by air, Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Airport (AGR), is roughly 13 km from the heart of the city. By Train: Agra Junction is the nearest railwa station. Its distane from city center is 2 km. By Bus: Idgah Bus Stand is the closest bus stand, located around 2 Km.
- What is Agra famous for? Agra is primarily famous for the iconic Taj Mahal, which is considered one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
- Best time to visit Agra: The most favorable period to visit Agra is from November to February.
Situated along the Yamuna River, Vrindavan stands as one of the oldest cities, deeply revered by Lord Krishna’s devotees. It is honour with numerous temples dedicated to Lord Krishna and Radha. Notable among them are the revered Banke Bihari temple and the globally renowned ISKCON temple.
The city’s name, Vrindavan, is a blend of “Vrinda,” referring to basil, and “Van,” meaning grove, likely pointing to the lush groves at Nidhivan and Seva Kunj. As a sacred place, Vrindavan attracts pilgrims seeking spiritual solace, offering a chance to detach from worldly affairs and immerse in devotion.
- How to reach Vrindavan? By Train: For train travelers, Mathura Junction is the nearest railway station and lies approximately 17 km away from Vrindavan. By Bus: Vrindavan Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand in the town. It is 5 Km away from the town’s heart.
- What is Vrindavan famous for? Vrindavan is famous for its link with Lord Krishna. It is believed to be the place where Lord Krishna spent his childhood and engaged in divine activities.
- Best time to visit Vrindavan: The ideal time to visit Vrindavan is from the month of October to March.
Fatehpur Sikri is a perfect getaway in Uttar Pradesh popular for its Mughal-era architecture and historical significance. Prominent attractions like the stunning red and beige sandstone Buland Darwaza, the elegant five-storied palace Panch Mahal, and Daulat Khana-I-Khas depict the city’s rich history.
Fatehpur Sikri also embraces natural beauty with the serene Mehtab Bagh, offering a picturesque view of the Taj Mahal. It makes it a delightful spot for nature enthusiasts. Exploring the less-known gem, Hiran Minar, adds to the charm of this destination.
- How to reach Fatehpur Sikri? By Train: If you are traveling by train, the nearest railway station is Fatehpur Sikri Railway Station is the nearest railway station located around 1 Km away. By Bus: Fatehpur Sikri Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand located in the city itself.
- What is Fatehpur Sikri famous for? The city is famous for its stunning red sandstone structures, including the Buland Darwaza, Panch Mahal, and Jama Masjid.
- Best time to visit Fatehpur Sikri: The best time to visit Fatehpur Sikri is during the months of October to March when the weather is pleasant and suitable for exploring the historical marvels.
Lakhimpur is popular for its Dudhwa National Park which is a beautiful weekend getaway in Uttar Pradesh. It is a tapestry of wildlife and nature, showcasing rare species such as the Hispid hare, Swamp deer, Bengal Florican, Leopard, and Barasingha.
With over 400 diverse species of birds such as peafowls, peacocks, jungle bush quail, Dudhwa stands as a prime tiger reserve in India. The park offers various ways to explore its wilderness and natural beauty, from guided safaris arranged within the park to hiring jeeps, minibuses, and more.
- How to reach Lakhimpur? By Train: For train travelers, Lakhimpur railway station is the closest rail station. The distance from the city center to Lakhimpur railway station is approximately 3.8 kilometers. By Bus: Lakhimpur Kheri Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand located in the city itself.
- What is Lakhimpur famous for? Lakimpur is famous for the temple Gola Gokhran Nath and its national park. The park is a habitat for the Bengal tiger, Indian rhinoceros, and the Dudhwa Tiger.
- Best time to visit Lakhimpur: The best time to visit is from November to April, which covers the winter and early summer seasons.
Mathura is famous for being the birthplace of Lord Krishna. The city is home to several ancient temples, including the Krishna Janmabhoomi Temple. Other famous temples include Dwarkadhish Temple and Banke Bihari Temple.
Mathura is also popular for its pedas, a sweet made from condensed milk, and Mathura ke Pede are famous all over India. You can visit Kusum Sarovar, a beautiful lake surrounded by lush green trees and flowers, or Govardhan Hill, which is believed to be a sacred hill in Hindu mythology.
- How to reach Mathura? By Train: If you are traveling by train, Mathura Junction is the nearest railway station located about 1.2 kilometers from the city center. By Bus: Mathura Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand, located around 2 Km from the city’s heart.
- What is Mathura famous for? Mathura is famous as the birthplace of Lord Krishna, a significant god in Hinduism. It is also famous for the celebration of Holi.
- Best time to visit Mathura: Plan your trip to Mathura between October and March for the most pleasant experience.
Suggested Read: Top 10 Religious Places In Uttar Pradesh
Unnao is famous for the Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. Wrapped in lush, dense forests, this sanctuary provides a haven for over 250 bird species like majestic peafowl, elegant sarus cranes, and more.
Moreover, the sanctuary’s diverse landscape is also a habitat for reptiles, from Cobras and Vipers to aquatic denizens like Water Snakes and the formidable Rattlesnakes. A deer park adds to the sanctuary’s charm, while an informative interpretation center enriches the visitor’s experience.
- How to reach Unnao? By Train: The most convenient way to reach Unnao is by train. The nearest railway station is Unnao railway station, around 1 Km away. By Bus: Unnao Bus Station is the nearest bus station. It is around 1 Km from the city’ center.
- What is Unnao famous for? Unnao is famous for its sanctuary. which is home to over 250 species of birds, including peafowls, Sarus cranes, king crows, and Indian rollers.
- Best time to visit Unnao: The best time to visit Unnao is from November to March, during the winter months.
Noida is a great tourist spot in Uttar Pradesh. It is well-known for shopping, amusement parks, and natural allure. Its key attractions include Worlds of Wonder Water Park, a thrilling amusement park for all ages, DLF Mall of India, the country’s third-largest mall with prominent brand stores.
The Botanical Garden of Noida is a haven for nature enthusiasts dedicated to preserving environmental beauty. The Okhla Bird Sanctuary, a birdwatcher’s paradise, hosts over 400 native and 100,000 migratory birds, showcasing Noida’s natural splendor.
- How to reach Noida? By Air: If you are traveling by air, The nearest airport is the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi, which is approximately 30 kilometers away from Noida. By Bus: Noida UPSRTC Bus Stand located in sector 35 is the nearest bus stand. By Train: Anand Vihar Terminal Railway Station is the nearest station, located around 20 Km away from the city’s center.
- What is Noida famous for? Noida is famous for its IT parks, shopping malls, universities, and a large pool of entertaining places such as Worlds of Wonder, Okhla Bird Sanctuary, and Brahmaputra Market.
- Best time to visit Noida: The best time to visit Noida is during the winter months from October to March when the weather is pleasant and suitable for sightseeing.
Aligarh is famous for the Aligarh Muslim University established in 1875 and its lock industry. The city witnessed the reign of various dynasties, including the Lodi Dynasty, the Mughals, and the British East India Company.
The Aligarh Fort, constructed during Ibrahim Lodi’s reign, stands as a major attraction, showcasing the city’s historical depth. The ruins of Dor Fortress provide insight into the city’s significance.
- How to reach Aligarh? By Train: For those traveling by train, Aligarh Junction is a major railway station located at a distance of 1.5 km away. By Bus: Nearest Bus Stand is Bus Stand Raja Garden. It is around 2 Km from the city center.
- What is Aligarh famous for? Aligarh, known for its rich history and cultural heritage, is famous for Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), a prestigious educational institution.
- Best time to visit Aligarh: The best time to visit Aligarh is during the winter months, from October to March
Firozabad is famed for its flourishing glass industry. The city is famed for specialty shops offering delicate glassware, vibrant beads, and exquisite bangles, garnering international acclaim. Firozabad hosts religious sites like the Marsalganj Jain Temple and Vaishno Devi Mandir.
For those enticed by nature, visiting the nearby Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary is a must. This sanctuary welcomes diverse wildlife, including gharials, Indian skimmers, and Gangetic dolphins, offering a glimpse of natural allure.
- How to reach Firozabad? By Train: The train is the ideal mode to reach there. Firozabad junction is the nearest railway station located 2.5 km away from the city centre. By Bus: The nearest bus stand is Firozabad Bus Stand. It is 2.5 Km away from the heart of district.
- What is Firozabad famous for? The city is famous for producing beautiful glassware, colorful beads, and exquisite glass bangles.
- Best time to visit Firozabad: The best time to visit Firozabad is during the winter months, from October to March.
Prayagraj, also known as Allahabad, holds fame for its deep-rooted spirituality in Hinduism and the revered Triveni Sangam, the confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna, and mythical Saraswati rivers. The city hosts the Maha Kumbh Mela, a massive Hindu gathering that occurs every twelve years, attracting millions of pilgrims.
In addition to its religious importance, Prayagraj showcases historical marvels such as the UNESCO-recognized Allahabad Fort, a testament to Akbar’s reign, and Anand Bhavan. This city beautifully blends spirituality and history, making it a compelling religious destination in Uttar Pradesh.
- How to reach Prayagraj? By Train: To reach Prayagraj, travelers can use Prayagraj Junction, located approximately 3 km away, as the nearest railway station. By Bus: Civil Lines Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand located around 3 Km away.
- What is Prayagraj famous for? Prayagraj is popular for being the location of the sacred Triveni Sangam, where the Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati rivers merge.
- Best time to visit Prayagraj: The best time to explore this religious hub is from November to February, offering an ideal climate and pleasant conditions for a fulfilling visit.
Ayodhya stands as a sacred city deeply rooted in Hinduism. It holds a profound connection to the epic Ramayana and is revered as Lord Rama’s birthplace. Notably, Ayodhya is significant in Jainism as well, being the birthplace of four Tirthankaras, drawing visitors to its tranquil ghats.
Ayodhya has transformed into a prominent spiritual hub, popular for its vibrant spirituality and diverse temples.
- How to reach Ayodhya? By Train: Reaching Ayodhya is convenient with train. The Ayodhya junction is approximately 1 km from the city center, serving as the nearest railway station. By Bus: Ayodhya Bus Depot is the nearest bus stand loacted about 2 Km away.
- What is Ayodhya famous for? Ayodhya’s fame lies in its religious significance in Hinduism, being as the birthplace of Lord Rama.
- Best time to visit Ayodhya: The best time to visit in the spiritual aura of Ayodhya is from October to March, providing an ideal climate.
Kashi holds the prestigious title of being the world’s oldest continually inhabited city and stands as the spiritual epicenter of India. Nestled along the western banks of the Ganges, it is adorned with temples at every turn, with the Kashi Vishwanath Temple reigning as the oldest and most frequently visited.
Amidst the bustling activity, the Ganga Aarti, a grand ceremony on the banks of the Ganges. It provides a feeling of peace and you should not miss the delectable hot chaat and cool lassi if you visit Kashi.
- How to reach Kashi? By Train: To reach Varanasi, you can choose the nearest railway. The nearest railway station is Manduadih. It is conveniently situated around 2 km away from the heart of Varanasi. By Bus: The nearest bus stand is Varanasi Canttt bus stand. It is 2 Km away from the heart of the city.
- What is Kashi famous for? Varanasi’s fame lies in its rich spiritual tapestry, boasting a wealth of more than 2,000 temples.
- Best time to visit Kashi: The spirituality is waiting every month of the year.
Kanpur, located on the banks of the Ganges, attracts tourists with its historical and religious sites. The Allen Forest Zoo, a major attraction, features a variety of mammals, including rare big cats and primates. The Kanpur Memorial Church, built in 1875, honors British lives lost in the 1857 movement.
The Shri Radhakrishna Temple, or J.K. Temple, stands out for its neo-Hindu architecture and shrines dedicated to different deities. For nature enthusiasts, Nana Rao Park offers lush greenery and a serene ambiance. Additionally, the Blue World Theme Park is perfect for thrilling rides and water slides, ideal for families and friends.
- How to reach Kanpur? By Train: For train travelers, Kaliyanpur railway station is the nearest railway station. It is located around 13 Km from the city center. By Air: Kanpur airport is the nearest airport located around 3.5 Km from the city’s heart. By Bus: Jhakarkati Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand, around 1.7 Km away from the city center.
- What is Kanpur famous for? It is famous for historical and religious landmarks like Allen Forest Zoo, Kanpur Memorial Church, and more.
- Best time to visit Kanpur: Plan a visit during the months of November to February. This period provides a comfortable climate for visitors to enjoy their trip.
Pilibhit is a quaint little town located in the state of Uttar Pradesh. It is also called ‘Basuri Nagri- the land of flutes’ because of the large-scale production of flutes. This city with its picturesque beauty and temples with beautiful carvings is a perfect weekend getaway In Uttar Pradesh.
You can visit Pilibhit Tiger Reserve where you can spot the majestic animal. Other natural attractions include Gomat Taal, Devha-Ghagra Sangum, and Raja Venu Ka Tila.
- How to reach Pilibhit? By Train: If you are traveling by train, the nearest railway station to Pilibhit is Pilibhit Junction. It is situated at a distance of approximately 4 kilometers from the city center. By Bus: Roadways Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand. It is around 1.8 Km away.
- What is Pilibhit famous for? Pilibhit is famous for its rich wildlife. It is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, including the Bengal tiger, Indian leopard, and more.
- Best time to visit Pilibhit: The best time to visit Pilibhit is during the winter months from November to February. This time is suitable for wildlife safaris.
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
In Conclusion, Uttar Pradesh offers an array of beautiful destinations for memorable weekend getaways. From the charm of Agra’s Taj Mahal to the spirituality of Varanasi, the state invites travelers to explore its treasures. Pack your bags and dip yourself in this stunning state.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Popular getaways in Uttar Pradesh include Agra, Varanasi, Firozabad, Lucknow, and Mathura.
Agra is famous for the Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri, and local markets offering handicrafts and street food.
Varanasi is popular for its spiritual significance, the Ganges River, temples, Ghats, and vibrant local markets.
The best time to visit Uttar Pradesh’s getaways is during the winter months from October to March. During this period the weather is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities.
Major attractions in Lucknow include Bara Imambara, Chota Imambara, Rumi Darwaza, and the British Residency, showcasing historical and architectural heritage.