If you are planning for the best places to visit in Uttar Pradesh, this article can guide you. Uttar Pradesh is dotted with numerous architectural marvels, such as the Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri, and also home to several sacred sites for Hindus, including Varanasi and Allahabad. Visitors can also indulge in the delicious cuisine and vibrant festivals, making Uttar Pradesh an exciting destination for travelers.
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
Plan Your Visit For The Best Places To Visit In Uttar Pradesh
Places To Visit In Uttar Pradesh In Winter
Agra is situated on the banks of the Yamuna River in Uttar Pradesh. It is a popular tourist destination in Uttar Pradesh, known for the Taj Mahal. It offers insights into Mughal architecture and history, boasting two more UNESCO World Heritage Sites – Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri.
Agra is also part of the Golden Triangle Circuit for tourists, along with Delhi and Jaipur, and is included in the Uttar Pradesh Heritage Arc with Varanasi and Lucknow. Beyond its monuments, Agra is famous for its sweet Petha and exquisite marble artifacts, best found in Sadar Bazaar or Kinaari Bazaar.
Though commonly visited on a day trip from New Delhi or nearby cities, Agra is worth the visit.
- How to reach Agra? Agra can be accessed by air via Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Airport (AGR), situated approximately 13 km from the city center. For train travelers, Agra Junction is the nearest railway station, only 2 km away from the city center. If you prefer bus, Idgah Bus Stand serves as the closest bus terminal, located around 2 km away.
- What is Agra famous for? Agra is popular worldwide as the home of the iconic Taj Mahal, recognized as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
- Best time to visit Agra: The most pleasant period to visit Agra is during the months of November through February.
Lucknow is the capital and largest city of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the top 10 best places to visit in Uttar Pradesh. It is located on the banks of the Gomti River. Known for its rich history, culture, and delicious Galouti kebabs, this city seamlessly blends the grandeur of its past with modernity.
Rumi Darwaza, a Mughal Gateway, divides Lucknow into ‘Old Lucknow,’ known for its bustling streets, mouth-watering kebabs, chikan market, and jewelry stores, and ‘New Lucknow,’ which boasts wide roads, shopping malls, and parks. Notable parks include Ambedkar Park and Gomti Riverfront Park, perfect for evening strolls.
Hazratganj, a central shopping area, offers chaat, kulfi, Mughlai restaurants, and diverse shopping options. Lucknow’s people are renowned for their polite manners and ‘pehle aap’ culture, leaving visitors with a warm welcome.
- How to reach Lucknow? For train travelers, the nearest railway station is Badshah Nagar railway station, which is approximately 4 km from the city center. Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport (LKO) is the closest airport, situated in Amausi, around 14 km from the city center. If you opt for bus travel, the nearest bus stand is Shalimar Square Bus Stop, located just 1.3 km from the city center.
- What is Lucknow famous for? Lucknow is popular for serving as the capital of Uttar Pradesh and for its exquisite traditional embroidery, known as Chikankari. It is also famous for its delicious Tunday kebab and Galaouti kebab. Bada Imambara is a must visit attraction in Lucknow.
- Best time to visit Lucknow: The most suitable time to visit Lucknow is during the winter months, spanning from October to March, offering pleasant weather for experiencing the city’s various attractions.
Prayagraj is popular for Triveni Sangam, the confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati rivers. It is a significant spiritual site, hosting the massive Maha Kumbh Mela every 12 years. Besides its religious importance, Prayagraj has a rich history.
Originally named Prayag, meaning “first devotion,” it was later called Ilahabas by Emperor Akbar and then Allahabad by Emperor Shah Jahan. Key attractions include Triveni Sangam, Allahabad Fort, Anand Bhavan, All Saints Cathedral, Chandra Shekhar Azad Park, and Allahabad Museum.
Prayagraj’s history dates back to the Mahabharata as Kaushambi, and it served as a provincial capital during the Mughal era. The city is steeped in heritage and stories waiting to be explored.
- How to reach Prayagraj? Prayagraj Junction is the nearest railway station, situated at a distance of approximately 3 km from the city. For those traveling by bus, the closest bus stand is Civil Lines Bus Stand, located around 3 km away.
- What is Prayagraj famous for? Prayagraj is popular as the sacred site of Triveni Sangam, where the Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati rivers converge.
- Best time to visit Prayagraj: The best period to visit this religious destination is from November to February when the weather is favorable, providing a pleasant environment for an enriching experience.
Mathura is one of Hinduism’s religious places to visit in Uttar Pradesh. It is a small town with numerous temples attracting pilgrims worldwide. Mathura is also the birthplace of Lord Krishna. It sits alongside the Yamuna River, adorned with 25 ghats. Mathura is a significant dawn attraction for pilgrims and tourists taking holy dips.
The ghats also come alive during the daily aarti with floating diyas. Shri Krishna Janmabhumi, where Lord Krishna was born, is a major tourist spot with the prison where he was born on display. Mathura boasts many temples, notably the Dwarkadheesh Temple and the Gita Mandir.
Mathura’s street food is a must-try, including kachodis, aloo-puri, chaat, jalebis, and gulab-jamuns, available at various eateries throughout the day.
- How to reach Mathura? If you are traveling by train, Mathura Junction is conveniently situated just 1 km from the city center. The nearest bus stand is Mathura Bus Stand, located approximately 2 km from the heart of the city.
- What is Mathura famous for? Mathura is famous as the birthplace of Lord Krishna, making it a significant pilgrimage site. The city is also famous for its vibrant and joyful celebration known as Holi.
- Best time to visit Mathura: The best time to plan your visit to Mathura is during the months from October to March.
Dewa Sharif is 25 km from Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh’s Barabanki district. It is famous for the shrine of Haji Waris Ali Shah, a significant site of Muslim heritage. The shrine features a mosque and khankah and draws pilgrims worldwide.
A unique aspect of Dewa Sharif is its grand celebration of the Hindu festival of Holi, where people enthusiastically participate and color themselves with gulaal. The Sufi saint’s tomb is a splendid monument with impressive architecture and interiors.
The shrine sees a significant influx of visitors during the annual 10-day Urs festival in October-November.
- How to reach Dewa Sharif? For train travelers, the nearest railway station is Barabanki Junction, located approximately 13 kilometers away. To reach Dewa Sharif by bus, you can use Barabanki Bus Stop, which is situated around 12.5 kilometers from the destination.
- What is Dewa Sharif famous for? Deva Sharif is particularly famous for the annual Urs festival, a significant event dedicated to Syed Haji Waris Ali Shah.
- Best time to visit Dewa Sharif: The best time to plan your visit to Deva Sharif is during the Urs festival, which typically takes place in the Islamic month of Safar.
Hastinapur is located on the Ganga’s banks near Meerut in Uttar Pradesh. It is an ancient town renowned for its association with the epic Mahabharata. It is also the birthplace of three Jain Teerthankaras, making it a significant Jain pilgrimage site.
Hastinapur served as the capital of the Kauravas and later the Pandavas after the Mahabharata. Over the centuries, it has retained its historical significance as the town of Mahabharata. The city is steeped in mythology, with every corner having a connection to the epic, and locals have captivating stories to share.
- How to reach Hastinapur? If you are traveling by train, the nearest railway station is Meerut Cantt, located approximately 41 kilometers from Hastinapur. You can hire a taxi from there to reach your destination. Hastinapur Bus Stand, situated about 1 kilometer away from the city center, is the nearest bus stand to reach Hastinapur.
- What is Hastinapur famous for? Hastinapur is famous for its ancient temples, including Pandeshwar Temple, Bada Digambar Jain Temple, and more.
- Best time to visit Hatinapur: You can plan your visit to Hastinapur at any time throughout the year, as it offers a welcoming experience for whole year.
Fatehpur Sikri is a famous tourist spot in Uttar Pradesh. Founded by Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1571, it served as the capital of his empire for fifteen years. This UNESCO World Heritage site, primarily constructed from red sandstone, features Jodha Bai’s Palace, Jama Mosque, Buland Darwaza, and the Tomb of Salim Chisti, among other historic monuments.
Fatehpur Sikri is a unique blend of architectural excellence and religious significance. It was built to honor Sheikh Salim Chisti, whose prophecy of a Mughal heir’s birth came true during Akbar’s visit. Akbar constructed the city, the Jama Masjid mosque, and three palaces for his favorite wives.
- How to reach Fatehpur Sikri? For train travelers, Fatehpur Sikri Railway Station is the closest railway station, situated approximately 1 kilometer away from the city. Fatehpur Sikri Bus Stand, located within the city, is the nearest bus stand to access Fatehpur Sikri.
- What is Fatehpur Sikri famous for? Fatehpur Sikri is popular for its remarkable red sandstone structures, which include architectural marvels like the Buland Darwaza, Panch Mahal, and Jama Masjid.
- Best time to visit Fatehpur Sikri: The most favorable time to visit Fatehpur Sikri is from October to March, offering pleasant weather for exploring.
Varanasi is the world’s oldest living city and one of the top holy places in Uttar Pradesh. It is also known as Kashi and Benaras and is India’s spiritual capital and one of Hinduism’s seven holy cities. Temples abound, with the Kashi Vishwanath Temple being the most ancient and visited.
Varanasi is popular as the city of Lord Shiva. It is considered an optimistic place to attain moksha, liberation from the cycle of life and death. The city’s heart beats around the ghats, about 80 of them along the Ganges, offering a sensory overload of sights, sounds, and aromas.
Don’t miss the delicious chaat and lassi of Varanasi. Varanasi is also significant for Buddhists, as Gautam Buddha delivered his first sermon in Sarnath, which is now a part of the city.
- How to reach Varanasi? The most convenient way to reach Varanasi is by train. Manduadih railway station is the nearest, located approximately 2 kilometers away from Varanasi. Varanasi Cantt bus stand is the closest bus stand, situated about 2 kilometers from the city.
- What is Varanasi famous for? Varanasi is popular for its rich spiritual heritage and is home to over 2,000 temples. The Vishwanath Temple is one of the 12 sacred Jyotirlingas. It is a prominent religious site in the city.
- Best time to visit Varanasi: The best time to visit Varanasi is from October to March when the weather is dry and not too hot.
Noida is located in Uttar Pradesh, is a popular tourist destination that offers a variety of attractions. It is known for its excellent shopping, amusement parks, and natural beauty. Its top draws include the Worlds of Wonder Water Park, an exciting amusement park suitable for all ages.
The Botanical Garden of Noida is a must-visit destination for nature enthusiasts who are committed to preserving the environment’s beauty. The Okhla Bird Sanctuary is a paradise for bird watchers, with over 400 native and 100,000 migratory birds, showcasing the natural splendor of Noida.
- How to reach Noida? If you plan to travel by air, the nearest airport is Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi, located approximately 30 kilometers away from Noida. Noida UPSRTC Bus Stand is situated in sector 35. It is the closest bus stand. Anand Vihar Terminal Railway Station is the nearest train station, approximately 20 kilometers from the city center.
- What is Noida famous for? Noida is popular for its Information Technology (IT) parks, extensive shopping malls, top-notch universities, and various entertainment options. Notable attractions include Worlds of Wonder, Okhla Bird Sanctuary, and Brahmaputra Market.
- Best time to visit Noida: The most favorable period for visiting Noida is during the winter months, from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and conducive to sightseeing.
Lakhimpur is a popular weekend getaway in Uttar Pradesh, and it is most famous for its Dudhwa National Park, a beautiful tapestry of wildlife and nature that showcases rare species such as the Hispid hare, Swamp deer, Bengal Florican, Leopard, and Barasingha.
With over 400 diverse species of birds, including peafowls, peacocks, and jungle bush quail, Dudhwa is a prime tiger reserve in India. The park offers a variety of ways to explore its wilderness and natural beauty, from guided safaris within the park to hiring jeeps, minibusses, and more.
- How to reach Lakhimpur? Lakhimpur railway station serves as the closest rail station for train travelers, situated just approximately 3.8 kilometers from the city center. Lakhimpur Kheri Bus Stand is located within the city. It is the nearest bus stand.
- What is Lakhimpur famous for? Lakhimpur is popular for the revered Gola Gokhran Nath temple and its significant national park. The Dudhwa Tiger Reserve is also a key attraction. It is home to diverse wildlife, including the Bengal tiger and Indian rhinoceros.
- Best time to visit Lakhimpur: The best time to visit Lakhimpur is during the months of November to April.
Firozabad is renowned for its thriving glass industry, known for producing delicate glassware, colorful beads, and beautiful bangles that have gained international recognition. The city also boasts religious sites like the Marsalganj Jain Temple and Vaishno Devi Mandir.
Nature enthusiasts should make a point to visit the nearby Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary, which houses a variety of wildlife, including gharials, Indian skimmers, and Gangetic dolphins, providing a captivating experience of natural beauty.
- How to reach Firozabad? To reach Firozabad, the most convenient mode of transportation is by train. Firozabad Junction is the nearest railway station. It is situated just 2.5 kilometers away from the city center. Firozabad Bus Stand is the closest bus stand, located 2.5 kilometers from the heart of the district.
- What is Firozabad famous for? Firozabad is popular for its thriving glass industry, crafting exquisite glassware, vibrant beads, and beautiful glass bangles.
- Best time to visit Firozabad: The best time to visit Firozabad is during the winter months, from October to March.
Ayodhya, situated on the banks of the Sarayu River in Uttar Pradesh, stands as a sacred city deeply intertwined with Hinduism. It is famously known as the birthplace of Lord Rama, a central figure in the epic Ramayana. Moreover, Ayodhya holds significance in Jainism, being the birthplace of four Tirthankaras, which draws visitors to its tranquil ghats.
The city has grown into a prominent spiritual center, characterized by its vibrant spirituality and a diverse array of temples. Ayodhya’s traffic-free streets and rich religious diversity make it a captivating destination for travelers seeking serenity and a harmonious blend of faiths.
- How to reach Ayodhya? Ayodhya Junction serves as the closest railway station, conveniently situated approximately 1 kilometer from the city center. Ayodhya Bus Depot is located around 2 kilometers away. It is the nearest bus stand for those traveling by bus.
- What is Ayodhya famous for? Ayodhya is popular for its religious significance in Hinduism. It is celebrated as the birthplace of Lord Rama, a central figure in the Hindu epic, Ramayana.
- Best time to visit Ayodhya: The best time to embark on a spiritual journey to Ayodhya is during the months from October to March.
Situated on the banks of the Ganges, Kanpur is a city known for its historical and religious attractions. One of the major draws is the Allen Forest Zoo, home to a diverse array of mammals, including rare big cats and primates. The Kanpur Memorial Church, constructed in 1875, pays tribute to the British lives lost during the 1857 movement.
The city’s religious landscape features the Shri Radhakrishna Temple, also known as J.K. Temple, which stands out due to its neo-Hindu architecture and the presence of shrines dedicated to various deities.
Nature enthusiasts can find respite in Nana Rao Park, which offers lush green surroundings and a tranquil atmosphere. Additionally, for those seeking excitement, the Blue World Theme Park provides thrilling rides and water slides, making it an ideal destination for families and friends.
- How to reach Kanpur? If you are traveling by train, Kaliyanpur railway station is the nearest. It is approximately 13 kilometers from the city center.
- What is Kanpur famous for? Kanpur Airport is the closest airport. It is situated around 3.5 kilometers from the heart of the city.
- Best time to visit Kanpur: The ideal time to plan your visit to Kanpur is during the months from November to February. This period offers a comfortable trip.
Unnao is well-known for the Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary, is natural haven enveloped by dense forests. It serves as a habitat for more than 250 bird species, including the magnificent peafowl and graceful sarus cranes.
Additionally, the sanctuary’s diverse landscape provides shelter to various reptiles, ranging from Cobras and Vipers to aquatic creatures like Water Snakes and the formidable Rattlesnakes. The sanctuary’s appeal is further enhanced by a deer park and an informative interpretation center that enriches the visitor’s experience.
- How to reach Unnao? The most convenient way to reach Unnao is by train. Unnao railway station, located around 1 kilometer away is the nearest railway station. If you prefer traveling by bus, Unnao Bus Station is the closest bus stand, approximately 1 kilometer from the city center.
- What is Unnao famous for? Unnao is populsr for its sanctuary, which provides a habitat for over 250 bird species, including majestic peafowls, elegant Sarus cranes, king crows, and Indian rollers.
- Best time to visit Unnao: The best time to visit Unnao is during the winter months from November to March.
Chitrakoot holds a significant place in Hindu mythology and the epic Ramayana. It is believed to be the place where Lord Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana spent a significant part of their lives, making it a revered destination for pilgrims. According to the Ramayana, it’s where Bharata, Ram’s brother, prayed for his return to rule Ayodhya.
Chitrakoot is often referred to as the ‘Hill of Many Wonders’ due to its numerous sites of religious importance, including the Bharat Milap Temple, Hanuman Dhara, and Janki Kund. These places make Chitrakoot a divine and naturally endowed location.
- How to reach Chitrakoot? The most convenient way to reach Chitrakoot is by train. Karvi, situated approximately 8 kilometers away is the nearest railway station. If you prefer traveling by bus, Chitrakoot Bus Stand is the closest, located around 2.5 kilometers from the city.
- What is Chitrakoot famous for? Chitrakoot is popular for its natural beauty, surrounded by lush forests, hills, and the serene Mandakini River.
- Best time to visit Chitrakoot: The ideal time to visit Chitrakoot is from October to February.
Suggested Reads: 15 Weekends Getaways In Uttar Pradesh
Places To Visit In Uttar Pradesh In Summer
Sarnath, a serene spiritual town nestled within the vibrant landscape of Uttar Pradesh, is home to a wealth of historical treasures. These treasures include Buddhist stupas, ancient sites, museums, and temples that leave visitors in awe of their tranquil and mystical atmosphere.
Sarnath’s cultural and spiritual significance is anchored in its role as the place where Lord Buddha delivered his first sermon. Prominent attractions in Sarnath, such as Ashoka’s Pillar and the Dharma Stupa, serve as a testament to its historical and spiritual importance.
- How to reach Sarnath? For train travelers, the Varanasi Junction is the nearest major railway station, situated about 9 kilometers from Sarnath. Varanasi Bus Stand is the closest bus stand, approximately 8 kilometers away from Sarnath.
- What is Sarnath famous for? Sarnath is famous for its historical treasures, including the Dhamek Stupa, Chaukhandi Stupa, Ashoka Pillar, and Mulagandha Kuti Vihar.
- Best time to visit Sarnath: The most favorable time to visit Sarnath is during the winter months, from October to March.
Vrindavan, situated on the banks of the Yamuna River, holds special reverence among devotees of Lord Krishna. The city is adorned with numerous temples, among which the Banke Bihari temple and the ISKCON temple are prominent. Vrindavan derives its name from “Vrinda,” signifying basil, and “Van,” meaning grove.
Vrindavan serves as a sacred destination, drawing pilgrims who seek spiritual solace and the opportunity to deeply engage in devotion to Lord Krishna.
- How to reach Vrindavan? If you prefer traveling by train, Mathura Junction is the nearest railway station only 17 kilometers from the city center. Vrindavan Bus Stand is situated 5 kilometers away from the town’s heart. It is the closest bus stand.
- What is Vrindavan famous for? Vrindavan is famous for its association with Lord Krishna. It is believed to be the place where Lord Krishna spent his early years.
- Best time to visit Vrindavan: The ideal time to plan your visit to Vrindavan is from October to March.
Aligarh is renowned for two key aspects: the establishment of Aligarh Muslim University in 1875 and its prominent lock industry. This city has a rich historical heritage, having been under the rule of various dynasties, including the Lodi Dynasty, the Mughals, and the British East India Company.
The Aligarh Fort, built during Ibrahim Lodi’s reign, is a major attraction that reflects the city’s historical significance. Additionally, the ruins of Dor Fortress offer valuable insights into the city’s historical depth.
- How to reach Aligarh? For those traveling by train, Aligarh Junction is a major railway station located at a distance of 1.5 km away. Nearest Bus Stand is Bus Stand Raja Garden. It is around 2 Km from the city center.
- What is Aligarh famous for? Aligarh is known for its rich history and cultural heritage. It is famous for Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), a prestigious educational institution.
- Best time to visit Aligarh: The best time to visit Aligarh is during the winter months, from October to March
Kushinagar, a significant religious destination in Uttar Pradesh, is a renowned Buddhist pilgrimage site and an essential stop in Uttar Pradesh Tour Packages. It is celebrated for being the location where Gautam Buddha delivered his final sermon, achieved enlightenment, and was cremated.
Amidst the numerous splendid stupas and temples in the city, the Mahaparinirvana Temple stands out. It houses the world-famous reclining nirvana statue of Buddha and is a must-visit site for travelers.
- How to reach Kushinagar? If traveling by air, the nearest airport is the Kushinagar Airport. It is about 7 kilometers away from Kushinagar. The nearest bus stand is Kasya Bus Stand. It is about 3.3 Km away from the heart of the city.
- What is Kushinagar famous for? Kushinagar is famous for being the place where Lord Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana.
- Best time to visit Kushinagar: The ideal time to explore Kushinagar is from November to April.
Shravasti is a prominent Buddhist pilgrimage site and one of the oldest and largest ancient cities with deep connections to Gautama Buddha, who spent 25 rainy seasons here. It also holds significance in Jainism as the birthplace of Tirthankara Sambhavanath.
Key attractions in Shravasti include the Anathapindika Stupa, Angulimala Stupa, Jetavana Monastery, Shobnath Temple, and Vibhuti Nath Temple. The vibrant Shravasti Mahotsav, celebrated in January, is a major cultural event that showcases the talents of the local artists and adds to the city’s cultural appeal.
- How to reach Shravasti? The nearest railway station is Balrampur Railway Station. It is situated around 17 kilometers from Shravasti. Balrampur Bus Stand is the closest bus stand. It is about 16 Km away from the city’s heart.
- What is Shravasti famous for? Shravasti is popular for its association with Gautama Buddha and Tirthankara Sambhavanath.
- Best time to visit Shravasti: You can explore the spirituality of Shravasti during the month of October to March.
Vindhyachal is one of the popular religious places in Uttar Pradesh. Situated on the banks of the sacred Ganga River, it attracts devotees who seek spiritual comfort by taking a dip and offering prayers to Goddess Ganga.
The town witnesses a continuous influx of pilgrims, during Navratra, when the atmosphere is adorn with illuminated diyas, vibrant flowers, and the melodious chants of hymns. The trikona parikrama, containing Vindhyavasini, Ashtabhuja, and Kali Khoh temples, is a significant pilgrimage here.
- How to reach Vindhyachal? The Mirzapur railway station is the nearest railway station situated around 1 km. Vindhyanchal Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand, located around 1.7 Km away.
- What is Vindhyachal famous for? Vindhyachal is famous for its sacred Vindhyavasini Devi Temple, dedicated to Goddess Vindhyavasini.
- Best time to visit Vindhyachal: The best time to visit Vindhyachal is from the month of October to March.
Brahmavart Ghat, located in Bithoor, Kanpur, is a well-known river ghat situated along the Ganges. It is dedicated to Lord Brahma, the creator of mankind, and is believed to be the place where he initiated the creation process. The ghat is adorned with a Shiva Linga known as Brahmeshwar Mahadeva and a horseshoe nail from Lord Brahma’s horse.
Devotees often partake in ritual baths in the Ganga and offer their prayers at the temple. Beyond its religious significance, Brahmavart Ghat is gaining popularity as a tourist and picnic destination for families, providing a peaceful retreat from the city’s hustle and bustle.
- How to reach Brahmavart Ghat? If you prefer train, Kanpur Central Railway Station is the closest railway station situated a mere 1 km from the city center. Bithoor Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand, located around 1 Km away.
- What is Brahmavart Ghat famous for? It is famous for being the place where Lord Brahma, a revered deity, started the creation of mankind.
- Best time to visit Brahmavart Ghat: It welcomes you anytime throughout the year.
Chandrika Devi Temple
The Chandrika Devi Temple, a 300-year-old Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Chandrika Devi, a form of Goddess Durga, is situated approximately 30 kilometers from the city center of Lucknow. This temple is also associated with Barbareek, the son of Ghatotkach, who sought the blessings of Goddess Chandrika Devi here to attain power.
The original magnificent temple was sadly destroyed by invaders during the 12th century. However, around 250 years ago, nearby villagers rediscovered the present temple, hidden deep within a dense forest along the banks of the Gomti River.
- How to reach Chandrika Devi Temple? Chandrika Devi Temple is can be by road. The temple is 30 Km away from the city center. You can reach there by taking Jail Road.
- What is Chandrika Devi Temple famous for? Chandrika Devi Temple is famous for being a sacred Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Chandrika Devi. Here, the goddess is a form of Goddess Durga.
- Best time to visit Chandrika Devi Temple: The best time to visit Chandrika Devi Temple is from October to March.
Suggested Reads: 14 Religious Places To Visit In Uttar Pradesh
Plan Visit For These Places in Any Month
Jhansi, located in the southern part of Uttar Pradesh’s Bundelkhand region and nestled along the banks of the Betwa and Pahunch rivers, is a must-visit destination for history enthusiasts and travelers. The city is renowned as the residence and kingdom of Rani Laxmi Bai, often referred to as “Jhansi Ki Rani.”
Jhansi derives its name from the Jhansi Fort, constructed by Raja Bir Singh Deo. The fort earned its name because from a distance, it resembled a shadow atop a distant hill. This historical city also served as the seat of power for the Chandela Dynasty. Originally known as Balwantnagar, it was a walled city centered around a fort.
- How to reach Jhansi? Jhansi railway station is the nearest railway station. It is around 2 Km away from the city. For bus travelers, Jhansi Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand. It is around 2.5 Km away.
- What is Jhansi famous for? Jhansi is famous for its historical Jhansi fort. It also offers boating in the Betwa and Pahunj rivers.
- Best time to visit Jhansi: October to March is the best time to visit Jhansi. However, you can visit here anytime throughout the year.
Pilibhit is a charming town in Uttar Pradesh. It is often referred to as ‘Basuri Nagri – the land of flutes’ due to its significant production of flutes. This town, known for its scenic beauty and temples adorned with exquisite carvings, serves as an ideal weekend getaway in Uttar Pradesh.
For nature enthusiasts, the Pilibhit Tiger Reserve is a must-visit destination, offering the chance to spot the majestic tiger. Other natural attractions in the area include Gomat Taal, Devha-Ghagra Sangum, and Raja Venu Ka Tila.
- How to reach Pilibhit? If your mode of traveling is train, the nearest railway station to Pilibhit is Pilibhit Junction. It is located at a distance of 4 kilometers from the city center. Roadways Bus Stand is the nearest bus stand. It is around 1.8 Km away.
- What is Pilibhit famous for? Pilibhit is famous for its rich wildlife. It is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, including the Bengal tiger, Indian leopard, and more.
- Best time to visit Pilibhit: The best time to visit Pilibhit is during the winter months from November to February. However, you can visit here anytime throughout the year.
Bithoor is a charming town in the Kanpur district of Uttar Pradesh. It is popular as a significant Hindu pilgrimage hub. Besides its religious importance, Bithoor boasts a wealth of historical attractions, local legends, ancient artifacts, and ruins.
According to Hindu mythology, Bithoor was the residence of Lav and Kush, prominent figures from the Ramayana. It is also believed to have been the abode of Lord Brahma during a Yajna, giving rise to the town’s name, derived from “Brahmavarta.” Bithoor played a role in one of India’s major freedom movements.
Nestled along the banks of the majestic Ganges, this old-world town is steeped in history and mystique, making it an ideal destination to satisfy your curiosity and escape the hustle and bustle of the city.
- How to reach Bithoor? Bithoor is accessible by train. The nearest railway station is Bithoor Railway Station, located within the town. If you prefer bus, IIT Kanpur bus stand is the nearest bus stand. It is around 13 km from the heart of the town.
- What is Bithoor famous for? Bithoor is popular to be the residence of Lav and Kush, prominent figures in the Hindu mythology of Ramayana.
- Best time to visit Bithoor: The best time to visit Bithoor is during the winter months, from October to March. You can also visit here anytime throughout the year.
Meerut is a historical city in Uttar Pradesh. It is a treasure trove of rich culture, stunning monuments, significant history, and delectable cuisine. Meerut’s historical roots trace back to the Indian epic Ramayana, where it is believed to have been established by Maya, the father of Mandodari (Ravana’s wife).
Known as the “Sports Capital of India,” Meerut offers sports enthusiasts a wide range of sports gear, including cricket bats and tennis balls. The city also holds great significance in India’s freedom struggle.
During the Holi festival, Meerut witnesses an influx of devotees and tourists from nearby regions. A unique fair is held at the Nauchandi grounds two weeks after Holi, with a temple (Chanda Devi Temple) and a mosque situated opposite each other, symbolizing unity among India’s diverse religions.
- How to reach Meerut? Meerut city junction is the nearest railway station. It is around 4 Km away from the city center. For bus travelers, Tejgarhi bus stand is the nearest bus stand. It is about 5 Km away.
- What is Meerut famous for? Meerut is famous for the Valmiki’s Ashram, Dhruv Teela, Shahi Masjid and more. It is also famous for its delicious Seekh kebab and chole bhature.
- Best time to visit Meerut: The best time to visit Meerut is during the winter months, from October to February. However, you can visit here anytime throughout the year.
Naimisharanya lies on the banks of the Gomti River in Uttar Pradesh’s Sitapur district and is a revered Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is also popular as Nimsar, Neemsar, or Nimkhar and holds a special place as one of the ‘Divya Desams,’ part of the 108 Vishnu temples.
This ancient temple is among the eight venerated temples believed to be self-manifested and is referred to as Swayamvyaktha Kshetra.
A significant pilgrimage destination for Hindus, the temple’s focal point is a holy tank called Chakra Kundra, where devotees cleanse themselves of sins by taking a dip.
- How to reach Naimisharanya? Sitapur railway station is the nearest railway station. It is around 39 Km away from the Naimisharanya.
- What is Naimisharanya famous for? Naimisharanya is popular for its holy tank called Chakra Kundra. It is believed to have been created with Lord Vishnu’s Chakra (weapon). The area is famous for its purity and as a place for devotees to cleanse themselves of sins.
- Best time to visit Naimisharanya: The best time to visit Naimisharanya is throughout the year. However, many pilgrims prefer to visit during important religious festivals.
Muzaffarnagar is located in the heart of the fertile upper Ganga-Yamuna Doab region on the Delhi-Haridwar highway. It is primarily popular for its paper mills, sugar industry, and steel rolling mills, it also boasts a few Mughal-era monuments and small temples.
The city was originally popular as Sarwat but was rename Muzaffarnagar by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, who gifted it to one of his favored chieftains, Muzaffar Khan.
Though it’s not a major tourist destination, some of its attractions include Ganeshdham, Vahelna Jain Temple, and Bhairon Ka Mandir, along with smaller points of interest in the district. The native language is Khari Boli, which is similar to the Haryanvi dialect of Hindi.
- How to reach Muzaffarnagar? Muzaffarnagar railway station is the nearest railway station. It is located within the city. It is around 2 Km away from the city center. For bus travelers, the Muzaffarnagar bus stand is the nearest bus stand. It is around 2 Km away.
- What is Muzaffarnagar famous for? Muzaffarnagar is primarily popular for its Akshay Vat Vriksha. It is also famous for agricultural and industrial activities, including paper mills, sugar industry, and steel rolling mills.
- Best time to visit Muzaffarnagar: The best time to visit Muzaffarnagar is during the winter months, from October to March. However, you can visit here anytime throughout the year.
Garhmukteshwar lies on the banks of the river Ganges and is an important pilgrimage site for Hindus. The town is home to the Mukteshwar Mahadev temple. It also has 80 sati pillars, marking the spots where Hindu widows became Sati-Mata.
The place is popular for its ancient fort “Mir Bhawan” which later became the headquarters of the tehsil under the British. Garhmukteshwar is surrounded by lush greenery and is perfect for a peaceful getaway.
- How to reach Garhmukteshwar? Garhmukteshwar railway station is the nearest railway station located in the heart of town.
- What is Garhmukteshwar famous for? Come during the full moon in Kartik month for a special bathing fair. Taking a holy dip in the Ganges River is a famous activity for tourists. It is also popular for its street foods such as Samosa and Jalebi.
- Best time to visit Garhmukteshwar: Every year is the perfect time for a trip to Garhmukteshwar.
Suggested Reads: 10 Best Resorts In Uttar Pradesh
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
In conclusion, these best places to visit in Uttar Pradesh offer a rich tapestry of culture, history, and spirituality. From the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra to the serene ghats of Varanasi, each place has its unique charm. So, plan your visit during the recommended months, explore the beauty of these cities, and create lasting memories.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
The recommended time to visit these cities is usually during the winter months, from October to March. It is the time when the weather is pleasant for sightseeing.
Deva Sharif is particularly famous for the annual Urs festival for Syed Haji Waris Ali Shah.
Varanasi is famous for the Kashi Vishwanath Temple, one of the 12 sacred Jyotirlingas.
The most famous food of Lucknow is Tunday kebabs and Galouti kebabs.
Kanpur Memorial Church honors British lives lost in the 1857 movement, making it a major attraction in the city.