Jharkhand, The land of the Indian tribal freedom fighter Birsa Munda is indisputably a goldmine for Hill Stations but definitely a missed one. The State of Jharkhand is surrounded by hills all around, there isn’t a place left barren in the green State of Jharkhand. In this list, we have put together some of the most well-known hill stations in Jharkhand
Most Popular Hill Stations in Jharkhand
Hill stations near Dhanbad
Dhanbad, North of Chotanagpur, is the second-most populated city in the Indian state of Jharkhand after Jamshedpur. Ghatshila and Palamu are some of the most visited Hill Stations near Dhanbad.
Palamu Hill Station
Palamu, a district located in Jharkhand is renowned for its rich biodiversity. The Betla National Park is a thing of pride. It is one of the oldest animal reserves in the country. In this refuge, there are 39 species of mammals and 174 species of birds.
Elephants are frequently seen as well as tigers at Betla. Therefore Palamu not only makes for a popular one-day trip for the people living around the reserve but also attracts wildlife photographers and enthusiasts across the state.
The district of Palamu also shares a status as a well-known hill station near Dhanbad, it has the most bewitching of hills. Netarhat, Gulgul, Huluk, and Murhu are some of the hills around the reserve. The Best time thus to visit Palamu has to be winter.
Not only you can enjoy the cool winters at this hill station but winter is also the best time to visit the reserve, here.
- Distance from Dhanbad: 85.4 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Daltonganj Bus Stand
- How To Visit: The nearest Airport is Ranchi 165 km away from Medininagar, and the nearest railway station is Daltonganj which is 1 km away.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Betla National Park, Palamau Tiger Reserve, Lodh Waterfalls, Shahpur Village, Palamu Fort
- Best Time To Visit: July-September
Ghatshila Hill Station
Ghatshila, a place situated in the lap of nature and hills is a well-known hill station near Dhanbad and has been a popular tourist spot for many years. The temperature can go almost 2° Celsius in winter and therefore Ghatsila is the best hill station near Dhanbad.
Phuldungri is what brings popularity to this hill station. The view from the hilltop offers a soothing bird’s eye view of the place and preferably at sunset. The drive to the top is equally entailing with Sal trees laden on both sides.
Ghatshila is a place with many hidden attractions. The Narwa forest is one of the best places to visit in Ghatshila along with Pancha Pandav which is one of the most visited sightseeing spots in Ghatshila.
Phuldungri hill, the main attraction has found an important place in the literary works written by Bengali-language novelist Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay. Truly, a City of hidden gems and wonders.
- Distance from Dhanbad: 160.1 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Phuldungri chowk Bus Stand
- How To Visit: Ghatshila is well connected with roads in Jharkhand and Buses can be booked online. Ghatshila is a popular tourist destination for people from Kolkata and the fastest way to reach from Kolkata to Ghatshila is to take a train to Kharagpur Jn, then take a cab to Ghatshila which takes 5h 22m.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Burudih Dam, Narwa Forest, Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay’s Cottage, Pancha Pandav, Dharagiri Waterfalls, Ranikini Kali Temple, Ratmohana
- Best Time To Visit: October to March
Hill Stations near Deoghar
Deoghar is a holy city beside the Mayurakshi River. This city is known for its harmonious celebration of Chatt puja, pilgrims and devotees come from all over the country to take part in the communal celebration of Chatt. Giridih is a well-known hill station near Deoghar.
Giridih Hill Station
Giridih is a sacred holy place of worship known as the Jain Capital of Jharkhand. Among the best and most beautiful hill stations in Jharkhand, Giridih is the most famous hill station near Deoghar acclaimed for its scenic beauty.
One of the highest points, Parasnath hills in Giridih district of Jharkhand, is situated at an elevation of 1350 m above sea level. The entire city looks like a beautiful landscape painting.
On top of one of the hills is a Jain temple, which attracts a multitude of devotees and tourists. Jains consider the temple to be one of the most sacred Jain temples. The spirituality at the top is unmatched unlike anywhere else in the State and the temple accepts people from all walks of life.
Thus the temple is not only filled with devotees but with tourists who come here to witness the incredible view.
- Distance from Deoghar: 67.7 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Giridih Bus Stand
- How To Visit: The nearest railway Junction to Giridih is Madhupur 48 km away. Giridih is not well connected via air but it is well connected via roadways to all major cities in Jharkhand. Giridih has a bus terminus in the center of the town from where one can take a private or government bus.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Usri Falls, Parasnath Hills, Rani Sati Mandir, Jain Museum
- Best Time To Visit: September and October
Hill Stations near Ranchi
Ranchi is the capital city of Jharkhand and the most well-known hill station in the state. Around Ranchi and nearby it is where some of Jharkhand’s globally known hill stations reside, We are talking about Netarhat, also known as the coolest place in Jharkhand.
Here, we have elaborated on why you should pay a visit to the hill station, Ranchi, and its picturesque neighboring hill stations. First, Ranchi Hill Station
Ranchi Hill Station
Ranchi is a city enclosed with many hills, some of the well-known hills are Tagore Hill, Hundru, Dassam, and Jonha. Some bear waterfalls of the same name and some don’t, Johna Falls is a popular tourist destination in Jharkhand for family picnics and gatherings during the onset of winter.
Ranchi experiences the chilliest weather in the region, and the temperature drops to a chilling zero in the early blue hours of dawn. A little surprising to expect from a plateau region isn’t it?
This is what makes Ranchi the most favorable on the “hill stations in Jharkhand” list. Ranchi is convenient to reach as it is well connected via air, train, and road to all major cities in India.
Along with it, there are many things to do and places to visit in Ranchi, you can visit tourist and photography favorite location, Patratu Valley for a spectacular view from the valley.
- Distance from Ranchi: 0 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Khadgarha Bus Stand
- How To Visit: The nearest airport is Birsa Munda Airport and Ranchi Rail Junction is the rail link connecting Ranchi to other parts of the country
- Nearby Places To Visit: Patratu Valley, Jonha Falls, Kanke Dam Park, Rock Garden, Hundru Waterfall, Dassam Falls, Pahari Mandir, Tagore Hill, Jagannath Mandir, Dhurwa Dam, Ormanji Bhagwan Birsa Biological Park, Jail Park
- Best Time To Visit: September to May
Ramgarh Hill Station
Ramgarh lies at the heart of the Jharkhand. The name Ramgarh directly translates to “The Fort of God Ram”. A lesser-known fact about Ramghar is that it is also known as “Gandhi Ghat”, The Nation’s Mahatma visited Ramgarh in 1940. After his assassination in 1948, Ramgarh was among the various places in the country chosen to scatter his ashes.
As a hill station near Ranchi, Ramghar is a popular place for nature tourism. A View of Valley between Ramgarh and Chutupallu is a local favorite. The beautiful hilltop is located at a height of 2,930 ft. over sea level and offers a breathtaking view of the place.
There are other places of interest in Ramgarh like Barso Paani, and Liril Fall worth visiting.
- Distance from Ranchi: 54.6 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Ramgarh (Jharkhand) Ramgarh Bus Stand
- How To Visit: The cheapest way to reach Ramgarh from Ranchi is by rail, it the fastest way to reach Ramghar to Ranchi is by Bus, it takes 1h 09m to reach
- Nearby Places To Visit: Maa Chhinnamasta Temple, Birsa Munda Zoological Garden, Mahatama Gandhi Samadhi Sathal, Rajendra Park, Gandhaunia, Barso Paani, Liril Fall, Brigadier Puri Park
- Best Time To Visit: March to May
McCluskieganj Hill Station
Talking about Underrated, McCluskieganj is truly an underrated hill station in Jharkhand. McCluskieganj is a quaint hilly town near the capital, Ranchi. The town used to have a significant Anglo-Indian community and was once the winter retreat of British tourists. you can still see its past in the gothic-style buildings which are present all over McCluskieganj.
McCluskieganj is an easy weekend getaway as it is only 1 hour away from the capital city, Ranchi. At McCluskieganj you can spend your time admiring the tranquil comforting crumbs of British architecture or spend your time trekking on the hills of McCluskieganj.
Nakta hill also known as McCluskie’s nose is a beautiful trekking spot looking over McCluskieganj.
- Distance from Ranchi: 64.4 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Khalari Bus Stand
- How To Visit: There are trains running between Ranchi and McCluskieganj. Most of the trains halt at Khalari; 6 km from McCluskieganj. The best way to travel to McCluskieganj is by driving in a personal vehicle.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Dugadugi River, McCluskieganj Forests, Nakta hill, St. John’s Cathedral, Jagriti Vihara, Duli Village.
- Best Time To Visit: October to March
Hazaribagh Hill Station
Hazaribagh is yet another well-known and most-visited hill station in Jharkhand near Ranchi. It is one of the major cities in Jharkhand and therefore it is well connected via roadways. If you want to experience the awe-striking view of the rock structure of the hills of Hazaribagh you should travel by road.
You won’t even realize when you are 1000 feet above sea level, it will happen when you might be preoccupied admiring the finely cut rock structure of the hills, thus is the alluring feeling of the hills. The roads are cut into the hills and as you cascade upward the hills, slowly and slowly the magnificent view will unfold.
Hazaribagh is a truly unmissable hill station to visit near Ranchi for this reason. People visiting Hazaribagh go for a quick one-day trip to the city. Canary Hill is a popular tourist destination in Hazaribagh.
- Distance from Ranchi: 97 Km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Hazaribagh New Bus Stand
- How To Visit: By road is the best way to visit Hazaribagh, preferably in a private or cab ride as the nearest railway station Koderma is 85 km away from the main city. You can also take buses which take you directly to the town of Hazaribagh, total time by road from Ranchi to Hazaribagh is approximately 2 hours.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Sanskriti Museum and Art Gallery, Canary Hill Road, Hazaribagh Lake, Galwaan Valley, Konar Dam, Hazaribagh Wildlife Sanctuary
- Best Time To Visit: October to April
Dalma Hill Station
Dalma is the perfect place to spend your winters at. Dalma is known for its Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary which is situated around the Dalma Hills. The Sanctuary covers an area of 195 square km. What makes it a preferable hill station in Jharkhand? It is due to its accessibility, it is only 100 away from the capital city Ranchi and only 10 km from Jamshedpur.
A one-day trip to this sanctuary and take a jungle safari viewing elephants, barking deer, and sloth bears who inhabit the sanctuary.
Dalma hill station is a perfect way to spend your summers in Jharkhand as the hills high as 915 m from sea level, keeping the summer breeze at bay while keeping the hill station cool.
- Distance from Ranchi: 125.0 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Golchakar Bus Stand Rajendra Nagar, Jamshedpur
- How To Visit: There is no direct connectivity to this hill station. The nearest bus stand is 30 mins away. You can hire a private car or a taxi to reach the hills station
- Nearby Places To Visit: Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary, Dalma Hilltop, Dimna Lake, Tata Steel Zoological Park, Jubilee Park, Keenan Stadium
- Best Time To Visit: October to March
Netarhat Hill Station
Netarhat is what put Jharkhand on the global map of hill Stations. Known as the Queen of Chotanagpur, Netarhat is Jharkhand’s most well-known offbeat hill station. Netarhat’s popularity is due to its sunrise and sunset points.
People from all over the state accumulate to witness this spectacular view from the hill station. Sunrise Point is Netarhat’s popular viewing point where people go to see the sunrise and Magnolia Point, 10 km away from Netarhat is where people go to see the sunset.
Other than its sunrise and sunset points Netarhat is known for its Lodh Falls, one of the highest waterfalls of Jharkhand, Mahuadanr Wolf Sanctuary, a lone sanctuary in India made for the protection of Indian wolves and Koel river View Point, Jharkhand prominent river.
Do visit Netarhat, the most popular hill station near Ranchi to experience the microcosm of Jharkhand.
- Distance from Ranchi: 151.4 km
- Nearest Bus Stand: Netarhat bus stand
- How To Visit: The nearest bus stand is only 500 meters from Sunrise point, Netarhat.
- Nearby Places To Visit: Upper Ghaghri Falls, Lodh Falls, Mahuadandr Wolf Sanctuary, Lower Ghaghri Falls, Koel River View Point, Suga Bandh Falls, Sadni Falls, Betla National Park, Palamu Tiger Reserve, Netarhat Residential School
- Best Time To Visit: June to August
Thus we come to the end of the article “9 most Underrated Hill Stations in Jharkhand”, do you think the hill stations of Jharkhand are underrated as well? It’s no surprise that when we think of hill stations, Shimla and the NorthEast are a few names that come to one’s mind but Jharkhand which is home to many hills is one of the best places to spend one’s winters.
Did you like reading the article? If you came to know something new press the share button or leave a comment below. Happy traveling! You may also like 12 Wonderful Waterfalls In Jharkhand.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Jharkhand is famous for its rich mineral resources like Uranium, Mica and Bauxite, Granite, Gold, Silver, Graphite, Magnetite, Dolomite, Fireclay, Quartz, Fieldspar, Coal (32% of India), Iron, Copper (25%of India), etc. Forests and woodlands occupy more than 29% of the state which is amongst the highest in India.
The answer is winter, October to March is the best time to visit Jharkhand. The temperature during winter is between 2 degrees celsius to 27 degrees celsius making it quite comfortable and pleasant. This is the best time to visit Jharkhand and enjoy the greenery and enjoy all the activities where you can explore many destinations.
There are many hill stations in Jharkhand but these 5 are the most visited Hill Stations in Jharkhand- Giridih, Ghatshila, Hazaribagh, and Ranchi.
Netarhat is very famous for nature and for its view and right place for nature lovers. The place is all covered with hill stations and this is the coolest place in all of Jharkhand. Places like Netarhat hills, Koel viewpoint, Lower Ghaghri falls, Sadni falls are the top attractions in Netarhat.
Deoghar is a very popular hill station in eastern India situated in the Santhal Parganas division of Jharkhand. It is a famous pilgrim spot for the Hindus. This place offers several temples that you can enjoy visiting if you are a religious person.
Netarhat. In the Leather district of Jharkhand, the hill station Netarhat is located. Netarhat is known as the “Queen of Chhotanagpur”. The region of Netarhat is covered with Eucalyptus, Sal, Kendu, and Mahua trees.
Netarhat is one of the well-known and must-visit hill stations. This hill station is located on the Chotanagar plateau and houses lush green forests. Netarhat is very famous for its sunrise and sunset views from the plateau look stunning and mesmerizing.