Step into these 15 enchanting places to visit in Ayodhya, where the lines between myth and reality blur into divine stories and colorful ancient wonders as you explore this holy city and prepare to be immersed in the divine light of Rama’s birthplace.
Ayodhya is considered one of the 15 holiest pilgrimage sites for Hindus. The best time to visit Ayodhya would be between October to March.
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
Discover places to visit in Ayodhya where spirituality breathes!
Get ready for a journey through twisting time, where every corner reveals a historical treasure waiting to be discovered. Get ready to be mesmerized by the beauty of Ayodhya!
15 Best Places To Visit In Ayodhya
Ram Janmabhoomi is a peaceful and beautiful place located in the heart of Ayodhya, India. It is considered a sacred site deeply intertwined with Hindu mythology and is believed to be the birthplace of Lord Rama.
As soon as you step foot on this sacred soil, you can feel the divine vibrations pulsing through the air. It’s as if the very ground itself is inviting you to bask in the beauty of devotion and cultural heritage.
- How to reach Ram Janmabhoomi? All major cities in Uttar Pradesh are well connected by road and rail to Ram Janmabhoomi. Ayodhya Junction is the nearest railway station, and Faizabad Airport is the nearest airport.
- What is Ram Janmabhoomi famous for? Ram Janmabhoomi is famous for being the birthplace of Lord Rama, the protagonist of the Hindu epic Ramayana.
- Best time to visit Ram Janmabhoomi? Early morning or late evening are the best times to visit Ayodhya and Ram Janmabhoomi. During festivals such as Ram Navami and Diwali, the temple is quite lively.
Hanuman Garhi or Hanuman Garhi Shri Hanuman Garhi is a 10th-century Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman in the Indian city of Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the most important temples in the city, along with Nageshwar Nath and Ram Mandir.
Hanumangarhi, one of Lord Hanuman’s most popular temple complexes in North India, is reached via 76 stairs in the heart of Ayodhya. It is usual to first visit the Lord Hanuman temple before going to the Ram temple.
- How to reach Hanuman Garhi? Hanuman Garhi is one kilometer from the Ayodhya railway station. Vikramaditya had a temple built, which became known as Hanuman Garhi.
- What is Hanuman Garhi famous for? Hanuman Garhi is famous for being a fortress-like temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman, the monkey god and a devoted disciple of Lord Rama in Hindu mythology.
- Best time to visit Hanuman Garhi: The best time to visit Hanuman Garhi, a well-known temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, is from October to March.
In Ayodhya, the birthplace of Rama, there is a golden chamber northeast of Ramkot. Kanak Bhawan is one of the best and most famous temples in Ayodhya and one of the must-visit places to visit in Ayodhya.
This is the secret palace of Goddess Sita and Lord Rama. Vikramaditya redesigned it. It was later rebuilt by Vrishabhanukunwari, which still exists today. The main idols installed in the garbhagriha (shrine), are Lord Rama and Goddess Sita.
- How to reach Kanak Bhawan? Kanak Bhavan is located in the Tulsi Nagar area of Ayodhya, about 2 km from Ayodhya Junction railway station. It is easily accessible by auto-rickshaw, taxi, walk, or local transport.
- What is Kanak Bhawan famous for? The temple, Kanaka Bhavan is famous for its architecture and design and is considered to be one of the finest temples in Ayodhya.
- Best time to visit Kanak Bhawan: Known for its religious importance and beautiful architecture, Kanaka Bhavan in Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh is best visited during the cold months of October and March.
The Nageshwarnath Temple in Ayodhya is said to have been founded by Kusha, son of Rama. Legend has it that Kusha established the temple for Lord Shiva after losing his handbag to a snake girl in the Sarayu river.
The temple was rebuilt in 1750 by Naval Rai and celebrates Shivratri on a grand scale, attracting thousands of devotees.
- How to reach Nageshwarnath Temple? Nageshwarnath Temple is well connected to all major cities of India by air, rail, and road.
- What is Nageshwarnath Temple famous for? The Nageshwarnath Temple in Ayodhya, India is famous for being home to one of the 12 Jyotirlingas with devotional images of Lord Shiva.
- Best time to visit Nageshwarnath Temple: The best time to visit the Nageshwarnath Temple in Ayodhya is between October and March.
Mani Parbat is a small hill located in Kami Ganj, Ayodhya, situated approximately 65 feet above sea level. It offers a great view of the city and contains a stupa built by Emperor Ashoka and a Buddhist monastery.
The nearby Sugriv Parbat is another hilly mound close to Mani Parbat. At the foothills of Mani Parbat, there is an Islamic mausoleum.
- How to reach Mani Parbat? Mani Parbat is a small hill located in Kami Ganj, Ayodhya, about 3 km away from Ayodhya Junction.
- What is Mani Parbat famous for? Mani Parbat, located in Ayodhya, is believed to be Lord Hanuman’s birthplace.
- Best time to visit Mani Parbat: The best time to visit Mani Parbat is between September to March.
People Also Like: 12 Famous Temples In Ayodhya
Tulsi Smarak Bhawan
One of the major tourist attractions in Ayodhya is undoubtedly the Tulsi Memorial Building Museum. This place is believed to have been founded by Tulsidas, the great Ramacharitmanas.
The museum in Ayodhya has an extensive collection of Tulsidas’ works. Apart from this, the museum is known for its religious lectures, prayer meetings, and devotional song meetings. The Ayodhya Research Institute is also a research institute located in the Tulsi Memorial Complex.
- How to reach Tulsi Smarak Bhawan? Travelers can take a short road trip from the city center to Tulsi Smarak Bhawan in Ayodhya. The memorial is easily accessible via public transit or private automobile.
- What is Tulsi Smarak Bhawan famous for? Tulsi Smarak Bhawan in Ayodhya is well-known as a memorial to the legendary poet Tulsidas, who became famous for his epic work “Ramcharitmanas.”
- Best time to visit Tulsi Smarak Bhawan: The best time to visit Tulsi Smarak Bhawan is between September to March.
The sacred ghat on the bank of the River Saryu is thought to be the location where Lord Rama attained Jal Samadhi. It consists of a series of well-kept Ghats established by Raja Darshan Singh in the early part of the nineteenth century.
The Sita-Ram Temple, the Chakrahari and Guptahari shrines, and the Narasingh Temple are located at the summit of the Ghats.
- How to reach Guptar Ghat? The nearest airports are in Gorakhpur 139 km away and Lucknow 151 km away. And at a distance of 10 km from Ayodhya Junction.
- What is Guptar Ghat famous for? Guptar Ghat, located on the banks of the Saryu River, is of great religious significance.
- Best time to visit Guptar Ghat: The best time to visit Guptar Ghat is between October to March.
Gulabari, also known as Gulabodyanam, is located in Vaidehi Nagar. It is the tomb of Nawab Shuja-ud-Daulah, the third Nawab of Faizabad (Oudh or Awadh), and his parents.
Listed under the Ancient Monuments, Archaeological Sites and Monuments Act, the Rose Garden is now protected as part of the National Heritage Site
- How to reach Gulab Bari? Gulab Bari is easily accessible by road via buses, taxis, or private vehicles.
- What is Gulab Bari famous for? Gulab Bari, situated in Ayodhya, India, is renowned for its exquisite rose garden and historic architectural structures within its premises.
- Best time to visit Gulab Bari: The best time to visit Gulab Bari is between October to March.
Treta Ke Thakur
Treta Ke Thakur Temple in Ayodhya houses statues of Lord Ram, Sita, Lakshman, Hanuman, Bharat, and Sugreev.
It was built 300 years ago by King Kullu and stands on the same ground as the Ashwamedha Yagna performed by Lord Rama. Ahilyabai Holkar, the Maratha queen, revamped it in the 1700s.
- How to reach Treta Ke Thakur? Located 2.5 km from Ayodhya Junction, Tretanath Temple, also known as Treta Ke Thakur, is a Hindu temple situated along the Naya Ghat of Ayodhya.
- What is Treta Ke Thakur famous for? A popular attraction in Ayodhya, the Treta-Ke-Thakur Temple is famous for being dedicated to Lord Rama, who is referred to as the Lord of the Treta Yug.
- Best time to visit Treta Ke Thakur: The best time to visit Treta Ke Thakur is between the winter months and early spring when the weather is cool and enjoyable.
Choti Chawni in Ayodhya is a stunning white marble structure also known as Valmiki Bhawan or Maniramdas Chawni.
It has 34 heritage caves, comprising Buddhist, Hindu, and Jain caves, with the Kailasha Temple adding to its beauty.
- How to reach Choti Chawni? Choti Chawni is located around 9 km from the city of Faizabad by road.
- What is Choti Chawni famous for? Choti Chawni is famous for being one of the most sacred Hindu temples and is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Best time to visit Choti Chawni: The best time to visit Choti Chawni is between March to October.
Bahu Begum Ka Maqbara
Bahu Begum ka Makbara is a unique mausoleum located in Faizabad, known as the “Taj Mahal of the East”. Built-in 1816, it’s dedicated to Queen Bride Begum Unmatuzzohra Bano and is the tallest monument in Faizabad.
The mausoleum showcases the brilliant Awadhi architecture and has three domes, beautifully designed interiors, and intricately decorated walls and ceilings.
- How to reach Bahu Begum Ka Maqbara? Located on Maqbara Road in Faizabad, Bahu Begum ka Maqbara is a mausoleum situated 8 km away from Ayodhya Junction.
- What is Bahu Begum Ka Maqbara famous for? Bahu Begum Ka Maqbara is a mausoleum located in Ayodhya, India. It is renowned for its exquisite architectural design, which showcases non-Mughal architectural brilliance.
- Best time to visit Bahu Begum Ka Maqbara: The best time to visit is between October to March.
Raja Mandir in Faizabad is a temple located on the banks of river Ghaggar (Sarayu). It is known for its stunningly carved idols of many Hindu Gods and Goddesses, which are ornamentally clad in silken fabrics and rich jewelry.
The temple reflects the brilliance of Hindu architecture and was once associated with Lord Sri Ram. Today, it is a regular temple with statues of numerous deities.
- How to reach Raja Mandir? From the bus stand in Faizabad, one can take a jolly ride in a local rickshaw to Raja Mandir.
- What is Raja Mandir famous for? The Ram Raja Temple, also known as the Orchha Temple, is famous for being the only temple in India where Lord Rama is worshipped as a king.
- Best time to visit Raja Mandir: The best time to visit Raja Mandir is between April to October.
Ram Katha Park
Ram Katha Park, located in Ayodhya, is a beautiful park with open-air theaters and well-kept lawns. It is a popular venue for cultural performances, religious events, and Katha recitals.
On free evenings, it is used as a playground for kids or a leisure garden for adults. It also encourages national and international artists to showcase their talents.
- How to reach Ram Katha Park? At a distance of 3 km from Ayodhya Junction, Ram Katha Park can be reached by roadways.
- What is Ram Katha Park famous for? Ram Katha Park is a popular venue for devotional programs, cultural performances, religious events, dance, poetry, and katha recital sessions.
- Best time to visit Ram Katha Park: The best time to visit is between October to March.
Moti Mahal, also known as the ‘Pearl Palace’, is situated a few kilometers away from Ayodhya town in Faizabad.
The palace was built in 1743 AD and was once the home of Queen Begum Unmatuzzohra Banu, the wife of Nawab Shuja-ud-Daulah. The monument is a magnificent example of Mughal architecture and reflects the rich heritage of the Nawabi culture.
- How to reach Moti Mahal? Moti Mahal is situated a few kilometers away from Ayodhya town in Faizabad.
- What is Moti Mahal famous for? It was the residence of Bahu Begum, the beautiful pet spouse of Shuja-ud-daulah, the Nawab in 1743.
- Best time to visit Moti Mahal: The best time to visit Moti Mahal is between October to March.
Dashrath Bhavan, located in Ramkot Ayodhya, is the original residence of King Dashrath and houses the magnificent shrines of King Ram.
This pretty palace features a decorated entrance with beautiful paintings and saffron-clad monks chanting mantras within.
- How to reach Dashrath Bhavan? Ayodhya railway station is located 0.60 km away from Dashrath Bhawan.
- What is Dashrath Bhavan famous for? Dashrath Bhavan is famous as the original residence of King Dashrath, who is known as the father of Lord Rama.
- Best time to visit Dashrath Bhavan: The best time to visit Dashrath Bhavan is between March to September.
Don’t Miss Out! Join Us
In conclusion, From discovering the birthplace of Saint Rama to exploring the stunning Dashrath Bhavan, every corner of this city is filled with rich history and culture. The architecture alone is enough to take your breath away! I highly recommend these famous places to visit in Ayodhya if you ever get the chance – you won’t regret it!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How was it funded? The Center announced in January 2020 the creation of the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Tirtha Kshetra Trust, which is responsible for the construction and maintenance of the temple in Ayodhya. Since its inception, the trust has raised nearly ₹3,500 crore in donations.
Paintings of temples, clothes with religious inscriptions, devotional items, statues of Rama and Sita, and chain keys are some of the items. Shopping in Ayodhya is a fun-filled experience and one can spend some good times in Ayodhya markets.
A Varanasi-Ayodhya trip will require at least 3-4 days, as there are many attractions to explore, and as a religious place, Varanasi also receives a huge number of pilgrims so it is suggested to make at least travel arrangements of 3-4 days to ensure a hassle-free experience.
Aloo Sabzi is a typical dish in Ayodhya. It is made with boiled potatoes in a rich tomato stew seasoned with turmeric, cumin, coriander, and red chili powder.
Jamun: A modest fruit has a particular place in India. Lord Ram is said to have spent years on the Jamun, also known as the Fruit of the Gods, after being driven away from Ayodhya.