Are you curious about a picnic spot in Manipur? Get ready to uncover the charm of this wonderful Indian state! From mesmerizing peaks like Khayang Peak to serene lakes and stunning waterfalls, Manipur offers a world of adventure and beauty.
In this article, we will explore some of the most charming destinations that will leave you amazed. Let’s take a journey through the remarkable places that make Manipur a must-see destination for travelers and thrill-seekers alike.
Stay Updated! Join Now
Top Picnic Spot In Manipur
Loktak Lake is a beautiful picnic spot in Manipur that you should definitely see. It is the biggest freshwater lake in all of India. What makes it even more special is something called Sendra Island. This island is unique because it floats on the water, and is made from things like leftover plants and stuff.
The lake is really pretty, with lots of little islands that float around. People who live in nearby villages catch fish and use these islands to help them. But, there is a bit of a problem too. Some people have been taking up too much space around the lake, and that is making it smaller.
Thankfully, the government is trying to help and save this special place and the things that live there.
- How to reach Loktak Lake? The closest airport is Bir Tikendrajit International Airport located in Imphal, accessible via taxi or cab services.
- What is Loktak Lake famous for? It is famous for its unique floating islands, locally known as “phumdis,” and is home to the rare and beautiful Shirui Lily.
- Best time to visit Loktak Lake: The best time to visit Loktak Lake is during the winter and early spring months, from November to April.
The Shirui Hills are like a special part of a famous place called Shiri-Kashong. These hills are very important and the best picnic spot in Manipur because they are home to a very rare flower called the Shirui Lily. This flower is the state’s special flower, and you can only see it in one place – the Shirui Hills.
The Shirui Hills are not just about this special flower. They are also covered in lots of other colorful flowers like orchids, and different kinds of rhododendron flowers with funny names like horamwon, sirawon, shirungwon, khongwon, phanwon, and tipkhawon.
- How to reach Shirui Hills? From Imphal, you can hire a taxi or use public transportation to reach Ukhrul, which is the nearest town to Shirui Hills. The distance is around 80 kilometers.
- What is Shirui Hills famous for? The hills are known for their exceptional biodiversity, including various species of flora and fauna that flourish in this unique ecosystem.
- Best time to visit Shirui Hills: The best time to visit Shirui Hills is during the months of May to June. This is when the Shirui Lily blooms, covering the hills with its distinctive pinkish-white flowers.
Phangrei Peak is a big hill that is not too far from Ukhrul town, about 22 kilometers away. This hill is special because it is long and flat, and it is covered with lots of pretty wildflowers and fruits. People from the nearby areas like to go there for picnics and it makes it an ideal picnic spot in Manipur.
To get to the top of Phangrei Peak, you might need to walk uphill for about 30 minutes. But it is worth it because spending a day up there helps people relax from their busy work lives and enjoy time with their family and friends. It is also a good place for walking and having adventures.
- How to reach Phangrei Peak? You can get there by taking National Highway 150.
- What is Phangrei Peak famous for? Phangrei Peak is famous for its stunning natural beauty and panoramic views. It is known for being a long, flat hill range with an abundance of wildflowers.
- Best time to visit Phangrei Peak: The best time to visit Phangrei Peak is during the spring and summer months, from March to June.
Tilily Waterfall in Manipur is the tallest waterfall there. It is found in Khayang-Phungtha villages in the Ukhrul district. This huge waterfall is 754 feet high and sits near the border with Myanmar. It is surrounded by lots of trees and plants, making it a peaceful place.
The waterfall flows down dark rocks and thick forests, full of plants and animals. Its beauty and peace make it the best picnic spot for the family. This place is great for camping and picnics. It is a special spot to relax, enjoy the sun, play in the water, and feel the wonder of nature.
- How to reach Tilily Waterfall? To reach the falls, you can mostly drive, but there is a two-hour walk to the top after you get to Phungtha village.
- What is Tilily Waterfall famous for? Tilily Waterfall, located in Khayang-Phungtha villages in Manipur, is famous for being the highest waterfall in the state.
- Best time to visit Tilily Waterfall: The best time to visit Tilily Waterfall is during the monsoon and post-monsoon seasons, which typically range from June to October.
Maklang River is a big river in Kamjong district, Manipur. It goes into Myanmar’s Chindwin River, which is a part of the huge Irrawaddy River. This river has clear water that looks like shiny jewels. Its beautiful emerald-colored water can help people relax and forget about their busy lives.
Maklang River is one of the top picnic spots in Manipur. It is like a nature painting you can be in. It is a nice place to visit and enjoy the water and nature.
- How to reach Maklang River? The closest railway station is located in Dimapur, approximately 215 km away from Imphal. To reach Imphal from Dimapur, you can opt for a taxi or use public buses that will take you to Kamjong.
- What is Maklang River famous for? Maklang River is famous for its scenic beauty and crystal-clear emerald-colored waters. Serving relaxation, picnics, and outdoor activities to tourists.
- Best time to visit Maklang River: The best time to visit Maklang River is during the winter and early spring months, from November to March. During this period, the weather is pleasant, and the river’s beauty is at its prime.
Khuga Dam is a pretty and must-see picnic spot in Manipur. It is located near Lamkang Town in Churachandpur district, about 59 km from Imphal. It is great for fun picnics with family and friends.
The dam is quite tall, around 38 meters, and wide, about 230 meters. It was built to make electricity and provide water for the state. But now, it is a top spot for picnics in the hills. People, especially young ones, often go there for a nice day trip.
- How to reach Khuga Dam? The closest airport is Bir Tikendrajit International Airport, situated in Imphal. You have the option to use public buses or hire a taxi from either Imphal or Churachandpur district to reach your destination.
- What is Khuga Dam famous for? Khuga Dam is famous for its picturesque beauty and serene ambiance. It serves as a vital water reservoir, contributing to the region’s water supply and electricity generation.
- Best time to visit Khuga Dam: The best time to visit Khuga Dam is during the months of October to March.
In Manipur, there are famous places to see, and one of them is the Khayang Peak in Ukhrul. The views here are so beautiful that they will amaze you. It is a great picnic spot in Manipur people who love exciting outdoor sports.
This peak is really high, about 3,114 meters above the sea. When you are up there, you can see amazing sights all around – big mountains, curvy valleys, rivers, and lively villages. People who like hiking enjoy going up the Khayang Peak because the journey is full of stunning scenery.
- How to reach Khayang Peak? Begin your journey by reaching Imphal, the capital city of Manipur. You can fly into Bir Tikendrajit International Airport. From Imphal, you can take a cab to reach there.
- What is Khayang Peak famous for? The peak is also a popular destination for trekkers and adventure enthusiasts, attracting those who seek both serenity and outdoor excitement.
- Best time to visit Khayang Peak: The best time to visit Khayang Peak is during the months of October to April. This period offers pleasant weather with mild temperatures.
Stay Updated! Join Now
To sum up it all, In the heart of Manipur’s gorgeous landscape lies a plethora of picnic spots waiting to be explored. So pack your bags, plan a picnic in Manipur, and create unforgettable moments amidst its breathtaking picnic destinations.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Some of the top picnic spots in Manipur include Loktak Lake, Khayang Peak, Tilily Waterfalls, Khuga Dam, and Shirui Hills.
Loktak Lake is famous for being one of the largest freshwater lakes in India and is known for its unique floating islands and the rare Shirui Lily.
Khayang Peak stands at an altitude of 3,114 meters above sea level. From its summit, you can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of lofty mountains, valleys, streams, and villages.
Tilily Waterfalls in Khayang-Phungtha villages is the highest waterfall in Manipur, cascading down dark rocks amidst thick forests. Its beauty and clear waters attract visitors for relaxation and picnics.
Khuga Dam is a picturesque location near Lamkang Town that offers a serene spot for outdoor picnics. It’s also a significant source of electricity and water supply for the state.